Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Forward Controls - who wants to make em ? (Read 8 times)
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Forward Controls - who wants to make em ?
07/24/07 at 21:38:00

Hey has anybody out there thought of making forward controls to sell on this site. I'm sure you would do some pretty good business as a lot of us do not have the tools or know-how to make em. Well I don't at least  Undecided

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Forward Controls - who wants to make em ?
Reply #1 - 07/25/07 at 10:30:52

Nightrain has a pretty good how-to on forward controls in the tech/ref section. In fact I'm in the process of using his method (with some slight modifications).

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 07/25/07 at 11:12:53

It is my opinion that they could be made with a few simple tools.

tools:  angle grinder with cutting and grinding wheels, marker to make a template with, drill & bits, vice (or workbench & c-clamp).  the tools could be had for less than $100, and they will be used again.

your full face helmet works great for eye & ear protection while using the angle grinder.

V

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #3 - 07/25/07 at 12:56:38

My problem is I live in an apartment with no garage but hopefully that will all change soon.

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #4 - 07/25/07 at 13:37:50

I'm probably going to take a stab at this when it gets cold around here, with the help of a cousin who has more tools and skills than I do. I can't imagine that it would be worthwhile for me to sell them, though. I'm by no means a machinist or even a real mechanic. And I'd worry a lot about someone installing them incorrectly then coming back at me with a lawsuit. Or even just someone getting hurt and not suing me.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 07/25/07 at 14:27:25

DanGill wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
 someone getting hurt and not suing me.

such is the world we live in...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/28/07 at 15:46:49

I'm also planing on doing this very soon.  I need to get a vice and something to mont it too... aka a rolling tool box..... before I can start, but that should be in the next month or 2.

I lso need to find where I can get the piece of 1/2" aluminum that I want to make them with.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 07/28/07 at 20:07:59

If there is an aluminum boat building place near you, they will sometimes give you scrap pieces or sell it to you at scrap weight prices since it has so much value now and is considerable recyclable.  A 1/4 plate would be used for the transom and maybe some other parts on a boat, but the trims would be big enough for extenders. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Reply #8 - 07/29/07 at 06:41:25

I found a web site that sells all sorts of metals (Aluminum, SS, Plate Steel, Bronze, Tool Steel, etc) Just bought SS to make adjustable mouting brackets for highway pegs. You can buy small or single pieces from them at www.speedymetals.com
When I get the brackets completed, will post specs and pics.

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 07/29/07 at 16:01:30

I made the forward control plates on my '02 using 1/2" aluminium bought on e-bay. Using plate that thick caused a lot of clearance problems with the shifter pedal, brake pedal and the long motor mount thru bolts. Using 1/4" thick plate is closer to the thickness of the pedal mounts and will give you a lot less hassle with clearance problems. They are not that hard to make, just take you time and measure twice, cut once Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #10 - 07/29/07 at 16:35:17

As I said earlier, I'm using Nightrain's method but I will be modifying it a bit so I can keep the kickstand in the stock place.

I'm going to use 1/4inch steel plate, but now that the FireLizard is down for engine repairs, I'm gonna have to wait on my forward controls because the engine is more important right now.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:24:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Forward Controls - who wants to make em ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.