Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buying Oil change small O rings (Read 28 times)
Balderdash

Minnesota
Buying Oil change small O rings
07/24/07 at 07:57:27

Where do you guys buy those little round O-rings when you change your oil?

I can get the large O-rings at the stealership when I buy my oil and filters, but they are always out of stock of the little o-rings that go in the indent of the filter itself to keep the oil pressure going through the filter instead of simply going around it...

I asked the stealership manager himself the last time I was there for something else (he happened to be servicing customers right then, I didn't ask for him) when he expected to get some in stock because he hasn't had any the last 3 times I was there and he checks his computer and then says; Let's see, it looks like I haven't sold any of those in 8 months, so you can see that I don't have much of a demand for them so I don't stock them regularly.

So I gave him a look and said; You haven't sold any in 8 months because you haven't had any in stock for 8 months, does that computer tell you how many people have asked for them and your people had to say that you didn't have any?  Roll Eyes

Soooo, anyway, where DO you guys get those rings?  I'm thinking about trying a plumbing supply store, anyone know what size they are?  Or do I have stop half way through my next oil change and go down to the store with the ring in hand?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Buying Oil change small O rings
Reply #1 - 07/24/07 at 08:43:42

I bought an O-ring kit with a couple hundred rings in it, dozens of sizes.  Haven't replaced that one yet, but have replaced the speedo cable and the oil cap rings so far.

WWW   IP Logged
luxup
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/24/07 at 11:02:46

Umm,  there is a smaller o-ring?

I just changed my oil last week guided by a post on this forum and I didn't see anyting about a smaller o-ring.

I certanly did not see one when I changed the oil.

Is my bike going to die?

Can I wait until my next oil change to add it back in?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/24/07 at 11:25:48

Tip the bike over a bit and you shouldn't lose more than a tablesp00n.  Even w/o tipping the most you'll loose is what's in the oil filter pocket, less than a 1/2 a quart.

Without that o-ring, you'll loose a little flow.  Still works but not as good and some guys say it's not great to begin with.

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/24/07 at 12:10:28

Measure the size of the thingy and go to an auto parts store and get one. If it fits right, remember or write down the size for future reference.
Tain't rocket science.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 07/24/07 at 13:56:33

Order one on line.  

The RonAyers site ( http://www.ronayers.com ) has the parts blow up.  Look under oil pump.  Says 76 cents each.   Part Number= 09280-15007, Description= O-RING D:2.4 ID

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 07/24/07 at 17:30:24

Why not just do like I do and order 5 or 10 at a time. I haven't found the correct size O ring in any of my assortments either metric or SAE.  When I get down to 2 I reorder both 0-rings and check on filter prices and get a inventory of those. I'd rather have one in the drawer in the tool box marked "Savage parts and tools" than wait for something I know I will need or be able to use in the future. Still amazes my B-i-L when I reach in the drawer and come up with the deisred part. He is used to getting parts either on walk-in or overnight for his farming operation, however his Honda water changers cycle parts take at least a week and more if re-shipped to him. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 07/25/07 at 08:27:39

Don't you just hate it when it changes my @ss to I disagree?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/25/07 at 09:09:41

Oh that's what you had said!  At least they could do is make the alternate make it obvious that it was a replacement.  I guess they couldn't decide what the replacement should be.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #9 - 07/25/07 at 14:42:11

I ordered 1/2 dozen when I ordered my magnatic oil plug.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #10 - 07/26/07 at 19:06:08

What o rings are you guys talking about?

When I changed the oil, I checked in the filter I took out and there was an o-ring recessed in where the filter fits over the nipple.  When I looked in the filter I was putting in, there was an o-ring already in the new filter.

Is that the o-ring that we need to be concerned with?  If it is, doesn't it come with the filter to begin with?

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/26/07 at 19:14:30

oem filters don't come with it.  after market may.

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #12 - 07/26/07 at 19:22:30

It is an aftermarket filter, come to think of it.

When I looked at the parts breakdown, I saw there was the external o-ring.  If I ever change back to the OEM filter, I will need to get that o-ring.

I am planning to change my oil (at least) every 2000 miles and the oil and filter on each scheduled maintenance.  It may be overkill.. But I don't want my engine to fail early.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #13 - 07/28/07 at 09:16:57

I just changed my oil for the first time and followed directions on this site.  I noticed that there also was not an O ring where the filter goes and am wondering if this would cause any oil leaks?  I definitely noticed more of a resistance when I was installing the oil filter than when I took the old one out.
All previous service was supposedly done by a dealership and makes me wonder about them if they missed such a detail.
DocNeedles

IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 07/28/07 at 09:36:46

DocNeedles wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
...  I noticed that there also was not an O ring where the filter goes and am wondering if this would cause any oil leaks?  ...

There is supposed to be a rubber o-ring over the tube that the filter hangs over.  What the o-ring does is it ensures that the oil goes through the filter instead of around the filter.  You will not get a leak on the outside of the bike though so you would never see it.

In my mind, the filter only works when the oil is forced through it, so I want a good o-ring there so that the oil can't slip around it.

FYI:  after making this thread and reading everyones responses I ended up buying the O-ring assortment box from Jacks Tool Shed so I'll have the o-rings I need for any other project I have around the house as well.  I changed the oil in my bike last night and size 11 in the kit is the size we need for the oil filter in the savage.  I have 19 more in that size, but I'll still have to buy the big o-rings from the dealer, it's just too big to be in an assortment of small o-rings.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:22:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buying Oil change small O rings

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.