Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
engine noise (Read 8 times)
eagleshadow60
Ex Member

engine noise
07/23/07 at 18:51:11

The bike started a while back that when I let up on the gas quickly, it made a short, squealing sound.  If I pull the choke out to the first click, the noise went away.  Now I have another sound that sounds like I am dragging tin cans behind the bike but it is in the front.  It seems to be getting louder.  Any thoughts? Embarrassed

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: engine noise
Reply #1 - 07/23/07 at 19:07:33

Sorry to say I don't know what the tin cans' sound could be, but nothing good comes to mind, and a few are downright nasty.  Does it make this sound when not moving, or both moving and at rest??  As for the short squeeling sound, but if changing the choke (enrichener) position eliminates it, the engine speed would change - with the change in positioner.yes?  Belts, maybe chains, and air intake are the usual culprets I think.
Please give the group more info, year, nr of miles etc.
Best of luck.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/23/07 at 19:49:05

Just awhile ago someone complained of a noise on decell and it was said to be a loose nut on the front pulley.

If it where my bike i'd be parked, and I'd have the engine covers off tonight.  I haven't heard of anything worst than a cam chain slipping.

But really, we need facts.  Can't diagnose a cold in the dark unless you sneeze.

WWW   IP Logged
eagleshadow60
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/23/07 at 20:12:27

It's a 2002 with 1100 miles.  I also read on the front pulley nut, it can't be loose because there is a locking washer on it so it can't move.  I adjusted the decompression, I thought maybe that was what was causing the squeal when I let up on the gas.  I also put on a Jordan exhaust, K&N filter, 145 jet and did the little white washer grind down.  The noise in the front almost sounds like the speedometer gear is going bad.  It makes the sound when the bike is moving.  It doesn't make it when it's idling, but when I rev it, the sound comes in.  It sounds almost like there's something vibrating up front, like a couple of pieces of metal vibrating.  There are no leaks in the intake or exhaust.  So, send me more clues.  I had a thought that maybe it could be the timing chain is loose, but it only has 1100 miles on it.  Have a good night...talk to you later.  Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/23/07 at 20:24:50

Also the headlight (oops) can rattle, may be the tin can sound you hear.  reach forward and grab the glass to see if it goes away.  As far as the decompression goes, loose is better.  Mine is adjusted so it don't hit the bracket.  Of course, if it don't start it's too loose.  And I'd try the speedo rattle fix.  I'd agree, if it a squeal then it might be a bad gear.  Check the cable maybe it's loose.

I feel better, you can ride it, leave the covers on.  And I'd put a torque wrench to that pully nut anyway.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/23/07 at 21:39:11

I think the last poster was intending to refer to headlight, not head. If the head is rattling, well, way bunches of stuff is wrong, way wrong.

I would start looking for anything loose. If I couldnt find something to blame that noise on, an oil change would have to happen, to look for metal. If no magnet in the drain plug, then find a magnet & go fishing in the drained oil, autopsy the filter.

Okay, lets think instead of hyperventilate.. Me, not you.
Did this noise start immediately after all those mods? I mean, shut down, tear into the bike, do the mods, go ride & wow, thers a new noise?

IP Logged
mclay
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/24/07 at 04:38:59

Hey Eagle,
My friend and I both have the savage...and both have made the tin-can noise.

I spent some time searching for the sound....tough to do since it only happened when moving.  Pretty sure I nailed it too.  It's the belt guard, up front where it slides under casing that covers the pulley....just try flicking it with your finger and you'll notice that it's a fairly resonant piece of metal.  But it could possibly be the little metal cover on the left side of the bike (the triangle shaped thing that is painted).   That too will ring if you tap it.  

Ok how to quiet the belt guard...not easy considering it pivots with the swingarm.  So you can't just put a gob of silicone at the front seam.  It'll get stretched and heated....eventually breaking down and leaving you with a rattle again.  Here's what I tried....bear with me.

Go to your local music store (not cd shop)....guitar center, etc.  You want to locate a simple rubber handle for speaker cabinets.....just go look at the amps and speakers for reference.  I know this may sound alittle weird....but go with it.  If you look at the rubber strip (on end) the profile is almost like a dumb-bell or dog bone.  See what I'm getting at?  

Cut a section of the handle to fit into the small gap where the belt guard meets the pulley guard.  The large ends of the dumb-bell will prevent the rubber from sliding forward or backward...thus remaining in place.  Oh, and it won't slide sideways because it'll run into the battery box.  

Sorry if this sounds alittle disjointed, just woke up....good luck and let me know if this helps.
-sean

IP Logged
eagleshadow60
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/25/07 at 04:21:25

Well I believe the problem for the rattleing noise was the cover for the front gear but I haven't taken it out for a spin yet so will do it today and see.  Undecided

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:26:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.