Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
bike comparison (Read 17 times)
MarkRB
Ex Member

bike comparison
07/23/07 at 05:29:02

My wife and I are seriously thinking about getting us each a new (Savage) Boulevard S40 (I think they should have kept the old name). We will be driving mostly the country roads where we live with some highway driving. We are not into speed but the enjoyment of riding a motorcycle. How would some of you compare the S40 to other bikes in its range. Maybe this is a dumb question for a Savage site  ??? Thanks for any input.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: bike comparison
Reply #1 - 07/23/07 at 05:44:23

Hi and welcome!

I picked up my Savage LS650 (same thing as the Boulevard S40) about 2 weeks ago.  I have since put 750 miles on it commuting for work as well as a few trips downtown.

The Savage/S40 is the perfect size for general commuting.  It is powerful and stable enough to be comfortable at 55mph, yet light enough to not fatigue you when riding in city traffic. My wife loves to ride it due to the light weight, easy handling and low seat height.

It will ride at interstate speeds (65mph+)  but the engine is up pretty high in the RPM range.  I'm not comfortable leaving it there for a long period of time.  (call me paranoid).

If you're looking for a commuter/light tourer, the S40 is a great bike.  If you plan on any serious long distance riding (especially at interstate speeds) I'd suggest you look at the S50 or Honda Shadow 750.  

Good luck!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 07/23/07 at 05:44:32

I think the Savage is ideal for country road cruising.  It's light weight, easy steering and good torque are just great for easy riding in the fresh air.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 07/23/07 at 06:34:28

http://savage.andruschak.net/compare/

For a new rider, or an old rider no longer up to muscling several hundres pounds, the weight of a motorcycle is rather important.    For a given displacement a single cylinder yields the most torque and the lightest weight.  Which is why dirt bikes are singles.  And why the Savage has no peers.

Multis have greater hp and more weight, which is desirable on the superslabs. 

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/23/07 at 08:20:27

I have looked & looked at bikes to offer anything close to the 650 in ride & cost. About the only thing I can find is the Royal Enfield. It wont match the top end stock, but will get close & with a front sprocket change & a few other items upgrade, it will run 100. It will also deliver  excess of 70 MPG with reports of 100 MPG not being rare, while maintianing 60+ MPH.
The only other bike I have found that offers even close to that MPG And a comfortable riding position is Kawasaki 250 Ninja. They arent set up like a typical sport bike & the seat position allows an upright posture instead of being all humped up & on the tank. But, the Thumper sound & torque is part of what makes the Suzuki so cool, same is true for the Royal Enfield.Both have long manufacturing histories & the RE has been in production a really long time. One advantage I see with the RE is that it is a pushrod motor & has no cam chain. Downside is dealers & mechanics arent in every town like a Suzuki has. Next comes the question, can you or do you want to do the maintenance yourself? If the answer is no & thers no RE dealer close enough for ya, then,, I typed all this fer NUTHIN! The Suzuki has given me a whole lot of grins. Some folks get 65 MPG & better, others get low 40's( me).  I really dont see you getting the Kawasaki, I just tossed that in because it does have the power to run an adult down the road just fine, have fun in corners & not spend much on gas. The RE does the same thing with ever so much more appeal to the eye. Even if you wouldnt consider owning one, if you like motorcycles, knowing their history & a bit about them is cool, IMO.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 07/23/07 at 08:35:00

I think a pretty good comparison cruiser is the Vulcan 500 which is what my wife has. It compares pretty favorably to the Savage. Modified to add: if you and your wife are tall enough, a lot of people swear by the KLR 650's

Comfort - I don't like either of them for distance, but my wife prefers the Vulcan.

Range - about a wash they both need to stop before 150 miles - small nod to the Vulcan for a bigger tank

Final drive - my nod goes to the Savage for the belt

Simplicity - Savage (can't beat one cylinder and basically no instrumentation)

Ease of Maintenance - about a wash

Gas mileage - Vulcan

Weight - Savage

Control feel - Savage

Torque - Savage

Power - Vulcan

Top speed - Vulcan

Brakes - Savage - I could quick stop shorter on the Savage.

Electrical system - Vulcan - absolutely no issues in three years

Initial Cost - Savage

Cornering clearance - about a wash. You go around the corner fast you are going to drag.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #6 - 07/23/07 at 13:08:15

I've ridden my Honda Nighthawk and a Kawasaki Drifter to compare with the Savage.

Honda - heavier and higher inseam than the savage. Good overall power, but needs plenty of upper body strength to steer and control.  Not as comfortable to ride.

Drifter - really comfortable for long distance, but my Suzi gets better gas mileage and is way more fun to ride in the city. The drifter is a pain in traffic, its heavy and is impossible for me to keep upright if it starts to tip over.

End result is that my vote went for the Savage, which i use daily to commute with and on weekends for fun.  It's lighter than the aforementioned models, more torque, easier to handle, and overall more fun.  8)

Let us know what you end up with.  Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #7 - 07/23/07 at 13:09:09

I bought my bike for the same conditions that you describe. The torque is what makes the bike so much fun to ride, that and the sound of a big single. You will probably what to change the muffler to get a proper putt-putt-putt thumber sound.

Riding through the country twistys on a strong nimble motorcycle with an old school sound is a real nice way to spend a day.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/23/07 at 14:08:07

You really should stop ridin' your thumb(p)er upside down.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #9 - 07/23/07 at 19:38:17

You really should stop ridin' your thumb(p)er upside down.    

With a single who can tell.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #10 - 07/23/07 at 20:39:41

http://www.cyclecenterofdenton.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=02956964X7K23K2...
I don't know if this long link will work but they have a new 2007 for $3,399. Not sure if it's their last one. $1,000 less than I paid for my '05! In Denton, TX though. I'd bet lots of dealer are discounting some '07 models already to make room for early 08's.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #11 - 07/23/07 at 21:56:02

Dang that price is craaaaazy for a brand newie !

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #12 - 07/24/07 at 01:24:03

Tuff to compare to others, Thumpers rule, 352 pounds is great for beginners or older guys like me ( and many on this board), it's easy to ride, easy to handle, easy to fix, easy to maintain, easy to modify and done right will eat many a larger bike at the lower range. Yes, the small tank makes for short distance riding, but you will find it actually works out just right for butt relief and bladder draining. And the price? Holy S**T, what other 650cc bike could you buy out there NEW!!!
Get a matched pair and have a blast!

Just my 2 cents

Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/24/07 at 20:46:51

I have been riding my savage for around 5 days now, and the only other bikes i have compared it with are my buddies R1 and 650 Secca. Compared to the Secca i feel the Savage is way more comfy. And its just not fair to compare it to an R1. Its got plenty of get up and go and i have a blast riding it. plenty of tourq and im doing a ton of windy country roads. Around 55-65mph they do just fine, i too am paranoid about the single cylinder air cooled engine so i give it a break around 75miles. though im sure everyone else here would tell you its not nessasary. Congrats on the bikes, you wont regret it.

IP Logged
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 07/27/07 at 06:36:51

I'll add my opinion here too.  I'd say I'm a petite to average-sized female (5'4" about 120 lbs).  

I bought a new S40 back in May.  It's not my first bike.  I've owned a Honda VLX (600) and have ridden a Vulcan 500 and the V-Star 650 Custom.  Then I owned a Honda Silver Wing 600cc scooter for a while while I was having some medical problems.

When I decided to go back to a motorcycle I was torn between the S40 and the VLX or Vulcan 500.  Here's why I choose the S40.  It's about 100 pounds lighter than the VLX which makes a long day of riding easier and more fun to me (much less fatigue--hate to admit it, but I'm just not as strong as you guys).  It just fits me better.  It has belt drive instead of a chain.  It doesn't have a big air filter sticking out the side that just hits my knee in the wrong place.  It looks really cool!  

I found that the Vulcan 500 is really top heavy with a wide, big gas tank and also has a chain drive.  The V-Star 650 is heavier & slower and in my opinion not as comfortable as the S40.  

Colleen

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:28:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike comparison

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.