Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mounting a hard case (Read 95 times)
DanGill

Mounting a hard case
07/22/07 at 05:50:17

Has anyone mounted a Pelican case or other hard case to a luggage rack on a Savage or S40? I commute on my S40, and I'm looking for a waterproof way to carry my laptop. A hardcase would also give me a place to lock up my jacket and carry other stuff. I was looking at a Pelican 1500, but it seems pretty long and wide. I am also looking at the 1430, which is a tall, narrow case.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Mounting a hard case
Reply #1 - 07/22/07 at 07:17:39

I have the Leatherlyke cruiser bags, a bit pricey at $430, but lockable and durable.  Not to mention they were easy to mount and look, IMO, rather classy:

Either side can hold two gallons of milk, or a 10# bag of potatos, or a 5-liter box of wine, or a classic leather motorcycle jacket, or....

As for the laptop, since you'll be taking it with you from the bike, why not get a rolling laptop case and add a sissybar mount:
(click=video)

If you want the box instead, hoese also makes a topcase to match the cruiser bags -- I would lose the pillion seat, flatten the sissybar, and fabricate brackets to hold the box where the pillion should be to also add a driver's backrest.
With the S40 you could probably make brackets to mount to the siderails to carry the box over the pillion.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/22/07 at 09:05:47

I HAD what I thought was a good plan for a hard case on the S40, but, since the daughter is riding it, she nixed my "Big Idea". I have a wooden(1954 model) Lucerne milk crate & a old stop sign I found. The idea was to cut & bend the stop sign into a 3 or so inch tall top, mounted with a piano hinge. Metal shop said they would bend it for $20.00. J-hooks thru the bottom will hook under the seat. 1/8th paneling to line it for waterproofing & boiled linseed oil to protect the wood seemed like a great answer. Low buck & functional, allows locking & by putting a couple of small "eyes" inside, parachute cord & bungees can keep cargo from being slung & damaged, like a laptop. The seat on the Guzzi just isnt shaped right or I would go for it thewre, but the Royal Enfield may work out fine if I get that to ride. I just have a hard time parting with all that $$$ for something as simple as a box with a lid on it. It's possible I have a bit more redneck blood in me than is desirable.

You just may be a redneck if you hit the lottery & have a brick duplicate built of your trailer house.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #3 - 07/22/07 at 09:28:32

Check out this ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/CUSTOM-CYCLE-GEAR-INC

This guy has hard bags and trunks at cheap prices!  Cheaper than leather.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #4 - 07/22/07 at 10:23:07

Oh Man!  This is it!

A set of these... (with turn signals)

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=7&menu=Hard%20Saddlebags&product_id...

Looks nice on this bike (see gallery pictures)

An throw in one of these for the long haul...

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=6&menu=Detachable%20Series&product_...

Bags:  $115 (+ 30 shipping)
Mounting: $30
Trunk $115 (+ 30 shipping)

Total:  $320 for a sweet touring setup!

[Edited because pictures were not working...sorry]

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 07/22/07 at 11:06:07

I've done essentially what Paladin describes. Removed the pillion, used the bottom part of the sissy bar in place and welded a bar stock cross bracket to it. It was drilled and tapped to fit the mounting points on an old salvage yard rack. More bar stock was used to create a cantiliver support for the front of the rack that rest on the original pad support points using the same rubber blocks. A GIVI quick detach support then is bolted to that. I think my GIVI bag is 42 l size and will carry 2 helmets or 3 refrigerator case 12 pacs of pop. Did about the same process for B-i-L's 87 but for a smaller J.C.Witney trunk with quick detach plate. I think I still have some pictures around if you want me to send them to you directly, PM me. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #6 - 07/22/07 at 11:35:17

Gary, your images didn't come through.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 07/22/07 at 19:10:57

Not sure if this is big enough for you, but it sure was cheap:

Got it years ago at JCW:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CAT...

If you're interested, give me the dimensions of your computer case and I'll go out and measure my hard case for you.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #8 - 07/22/07 at 21:36:40

They also have a GIVI Chinese sourced knock off about half again as big. It is in theri catalog or I can measure the inside on my B-i-L's for you, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/22/07 at 22:05:39

I haven't read about this particular one but in another forum they were complaining about the locking plastic mounting plate.  It seems the lock is not too secure and falls off in traffic.  I asked the seller about this and I got no reply.

At least the JCW trunks all have metal mounting plates.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 07/23/07 at 06:03:28

I had one on mine for a while.  It required mounting an extension plate to the stock luggage rack to support it properly and eventually the welds on the luggage rack cracked.  I'm planning to have them re-welded sometime soon and try it again for a while.  This was almost three years ago but below is how she looked back then.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #11 - 07/23/07 at 07:36:55

DanGill wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Gary, your images didn't come through.

Yeah.  I copied the link from the pictures but the website is refusing them.  Just go to the store link and look at the various options of hard cases and trunks.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/23/07 at 07:39:44

For me and my 240 lb bulk, adding another 50 lb of ATGATT, the thought of pasting anouther 200 lbs to my back is unthinkable (but would like to try!).  So for the most part, this is a solo bike.  If I were to add a trunk, it would be over the pillion.  At least someone would get to use the backrest.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 07/23/07 at 09:06:08

Gary On A Savage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Yeah.  I copied the link from the pictures but the website is refusing them.  Just go to the store link and look at the various options of hard cases and trunks.

You need to copy and paste the images to your own host site, gary.savageriders.com.  (shamless plug -- I'll set you up for $5/year; includes gary@savageriders.com e-mail.)

WWW   IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 07/23/07 at 09:18:46

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:

Okay, okay, I give up, I've been staring and staring at this picture and trying to figure out what I'm looking at, I've got 2 ideas...

1. You live in a bad earthquake area (or on the back of the largest trailer garage I've ever seen) and the garage shakes a lot and so you have to tie your bike down like it's in a trailer.  ???

2. Your box on the back weighs SOOOO much that the kickstand will not hold it up because it's center of gravity is too high so you put the block of wood under it, but the block is too big and will knock the bike over on the other side so you tied a strap to the wall to keep it from going over?  Grin

so maybe you just tell us why the bike is tied to the wall with a block of wood under the kickstand, please?  Maybe it's just easier to work on the bike when it's straight up and down?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:28:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mounting a hard case

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.