Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Resuscitating a dead Savage (Read 8 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Resuscitating a dead Savage
07/16/07 at 14:03:52

I left my Savage last October with... one good battery, half a tank of gas and...
...events got in the way and it wasn't until December that I had the opportunity to ride her a few times around the block...
...bad weather during the winter, I was away for months on end, come back in April but I somehow shyed away from her...it...that...beast waiting for me in the garage...

I eventually summoned up some courage, went in and circled her, getting closer and closer, like a man who's been away from farm animals too long and is shy of his old horse...

I slipped the key in the ignition, twisted it one click, tried the lights, horn OK, flick the starter...
...chug chug chug pofff coff sclack! ...

I went on like this for some 15 minutes, until it came to me I forgot to pull the starter on the carb... Roll Eyes...silly !

OK, recharge the battery, check the oil... can't see a thing... how can I check the oil with my head 1" from the ground and balance the bike on its two wheels?

I finally managed to find a "helper" to stand the bike almost upright... a stack of Land Rover magazines!

So, last time I checked the oil I looked and could see nothing... so I added 1/2 pint... then another 1/2 pint... then another... HOLD IT!!!

If I'm adding so much oil and still can't see through the little oil-window, chances are I already had enough oil and overfilled, right?

So, find the proper 17mm wrench, balance the bike on the Land Rover magazines, and apply delicate pressure (5lb hammer) to undo said oil plug nut...

...realize I haven't got anything under the sump, race to find suitable container (3 liter laundry soap bottle to which  I hastily cut away one side)... undo oil plug which by now is finger loose... hold oil plug firmy between wrong side of fingers (why can't the upper side of our fingers be as grippy as our fingertips?) and presto! expect 6, 7 pints of oil to surge out!

drip drip drip

???

3 pints poured out... black as charcoal...

???

Now, wait a minute, just the other day I had topped up one full liter (2 pints+) and hadn't ever started the bike, and now all she returns is a measly three pints?

Shocked

What on earth was going on ?
Could I have been running the bike on... one pint ?

Embarrassed

PS at least there was no fuel in the oil... Roll Eyes

(By the way, as two of said three pints+ are actually good, new oil, how can I now recycle the ... stuff I drained? I have a diesel truck with a 65 liter tank - 17 USgal - do you suppose if I pour one pint every tankful I can just burn it away with my diesel? I know it sounds barbaric, but what else can I do? after all, it's a mere 1.5%, no two stroke runs on so little oil...)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Resuscitating a dead Savage
Reply #1 - 07/16/07 at 14:06:16

Next steps...

1. refit battery

2. try to change spark plug without removing tank  Lips Sealed

3. put some new gas in the tank

4. wish me luck!!!

(eventually, wash away cobwebs and dust from last Thanksgiving...)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/16/07 at 14:29:09

Get real!
Take off the tank, dump out the antic fuel, while the tank is off do the plug and maybe even check the valves.
When you put everything back and charge the battery, put in some 10-40 oil. Start and run the machine for about 100 miles. Now drain the oil and change the filter.
Now put in a good grade of the proper oil.
Remember, you said about three pints of black goo came out. That is not an encouraging sign. It is indicative of neglect in the past. The 100 mile run and change is to clean out most of the grunge created by the neglect.
Consider the loss of oil as the price you pay for that neglect whether it is your neglect or someone elses.
The object is to refresh the engine and try to make it trustworthy again.
Don't forget to check your clutch adjustment and brake adjustments, oh and while you are down there, inspect the belt and adjust it if needed. neeed I say tire pressure and inspect for dry rot cracks?
Jack the machine up off the floor so that no weight is on the wheels and sound the spokes, adjusting as needed. Check your steering head bearings by gripping the forks down low and trying to move them fore and aft.
Any movement is unsatisfactory. Tighten as needed.
After all this you should be set to enjoy the summer!
keep your knees in the nreeze, bugs in your beard, and may you enjoy an hour in heaven before the devil knows you are dead.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/16/07 at 14:55:10

Good little check list there Smiley

Since I've started taking other people's "basket cases" into my garage, I'm seeing more and more bikes in serious need of good old TLC.

A guy brought me a '81 GS550 that he bought at a salvage down at Seaside, OR.  He brought it to me on Saturday and today I removed and opened up that rack of carbs.

No wonder it would only idle briefly on choke.  All of the pilot circuits were clogged.  The inside of the bowls were actually rust brown.  All of the gaskets and o-rings shattered just to touch them.  4 rebuild kits needed and of course, I'll have to sync them when it's done.

Oh...did I mention the mud in the brake caliper?  Luckily I got the piston moving after using a c-clamp Tongue

Just a reminder that sometimes a bike should get service before it is parked...

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 07/16/07 at 15:31:34

Hey, Phelonius, how d'ya know I have a beard? Cheesy
(well, actually, I only have a moustache... Wink )

Anyway, I do not have a garage the way you guys have,
it's more like a set of yellow lines painted on the floor...
can't really do much work down there...

But you do have a point, drain out the old fuel and clean out the carb etc...
and change the oil again!

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #5 - 07/16/07 at 18:20:50

You can try dripping that 'oil' through a paper coffee filter into a bucket or can overnight. If anything liquid actually makes it through you can throw that in the truck or lawn mower. If you are brave and got nothing better to do... Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 07/16/07 at 19:39:04

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
You can try dripping that 'oil' through a paper coffee filter into a bucket or can overnight. If anything liquid actually makes it through you can throw that in the truck or lawn mower. If you are brave and got nothing better to do... Wink

Good idea...well, sorta.  I do that with old gas and then put it in the truck.  I have some #2 cones that I use in a funnel.  But motor oil?  Better have a really big coffee filter and be prepared to wait a week or more....

...oil goes through a filter under pressure in the engine.  You have to be more patient with gravity Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/16/07 at 20:31:26

Right oil's not going thru a paper coffee filter anytime soon.

Use your wifes old nylons, stretch a couple of layers over cofee can and pour away.  Make sure she gets out of them first.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 07/16/07 at 22:47:45

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:

Use your wifes old nylons, [...]  Make sure she gets out of them first.   Grin

Er... would that be a new pair of nylons from an old wife, or do I get a new wife to give me her old nylons...???

With these metric bikes, they're choosey, ya never know... Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/17/07 at 05:09:03

I just toss a coffee can full of old oil on the burn pile when I light it. I never filter first. BUt, I really like the idea of running it thru a diesel.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 07/17/07 at 05:14:07

It is the high tech conversations like this one that I really like about this web-forum ... you just cannot find quality stuff like this anywhere else.   Grin

IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/17/07 at 12:19:18

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hey, Phelonius, how d'ya know I have a beard? Cheesy
(well, actually, I only have a moustache... Wink )

Anyway, I do not have a garage the way you guys have,
it's more like a set of yellow lines painted on the floor...
can't really do much work down there...

But you do have a point, drain out the old fuel and clean out the carb etc...
and change the oil again!

If you do not have a beard, grow one, it makes a fine bug collecter.
My own theory is that oil, even at arab prices, is still cheaper than engine rebuild.
As for no garage, While living in near wilderness conditions in the Selkirk mountains of the Idaho panhandle, I rebuilt the engine of an old Yamaha 650 twin, inside a home made tent. It was a frame made of conduit pipes covered by a transclucent white plastic that diffused the sunlight to both make for a bright interior and warmth. Even if you live in an urban setting, if you have a yard, this can be done and it does not raise your taxes like a garage will do.
If you do this, put down plywood for the floor so that you do not lose screws and nuts in the grass. Set up some old book shelves for parts and keep your tools in the house when not using them.
good luck.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #12 - 07/17/07 at 17:54:55

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:

Use your wifes old nylons, stretch a couple of layers over cofee can and pour away.  Make sure she gets out of them first.   Grin

Please note that i said "if you have nothing better to do" since it will be a dogs age before it piddles down. You guys are right though, the pantyhose or cheescloth is faster.  Wink

PS - you can get knee-high nylons for 99˘ or less at any store. Don't flinch at the cash register. "They are for my girl.  Her name is Suzi."  Knee-highs fit exactly over most size cans, elastic leg side around the rim.
Use a rubberband to secure regular pantyhose to the neck of the can. Been there. Messy if you dont do that.
Aren't you guys glad we girls are here to add these details!?  Grin

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 07/19/07 at 03:36:49

Thanks for the tip.

Incidentally, here in Italy it's quite normal for a guy to go and buy nylons
(now don't you guys start!!!)  Wink
Actually, if a man doesn't go shopping for lingerie, what kind of a man is he?
Doeasn't he care at all?  Grin

OK, off thread...

I might do all this, but... I am still looking at quite a few hours' work just to get the bike started, and I've just had word of a job transfer- which means house move...
...and I've only got 4 weeks to do it, so I had better start scootin' and box my things... Roll Eyes

But then, I really only need a 1/2 gal. can, and let gravity do the rest...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 07/19/07 at 05:49:27

Do you know yet where you will be living yet?  Do you get time from work to go search for a house?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:21:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Resuscitating a dead Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.