Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Easy Cheap Cam Chain Tensioner Fix (Read 558 times)
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Re: Easy Cheap Cam Chain Tensioner Fix
Reply #15 - 03/26/14 at 07:14:59

Dave wrote on 03/26/14 at 07:02:59:
wickedbiker wrote on 03/26/14 at 06:50:10:
I'm asking because I don't have $150 for the verslavy and I don't think the idea of using a longer version of the tensioner needs adjusting. Isn't that the basis of the verslavy it is simpy longer so it doesn't pop out although I believe you added notches to hold it in place but most I have seen on Google only have the extension.
Any ideas?

How many miles are on your bike?

The Verslavy has an extra hole that allows you to get an extended life from the existing chain.  The slot and pin prevent the tensioner from coming apart....which has really bad consequences.  When the Verslagen modified tensioner reaches the end of the travel the chain gets loose and makes noise....and you know you need repairs before it starts to break things.

The bargain basement approach is just to weld on an extension and drill another hole.....most local welders could hook you up with that kind of a repair if you showed them a photo of what you want.  You will not have the safety that the pin and slot provide on the Verslagen modified tensioner.

Thanks man all great info. Since mine isn't going out yet when I do get the extra cash I'll take the one out of the blown engine In have and send it in to get the good one

WWW   IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #16 - 03/26/14 at 15:42:30

a weld shop will weld on an extension, not as great a design as Versy's mod, but cheaper

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #17 - 03/26/14 at 19:13:30

Actually now I know where I have seen that exact part that price is an actuator turnbuckle take a look at this. https://www.google.com/search?q=actuator+turnbuckle&client=tablet-android-his...

Now if I got one of these identical to the one in the savage only longer would it work?
Also if it would work would it have to be longer on the key or could it be either end?

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #18 - 03/26/14 at 19:51:11

wickedbiker wrote on 03/26/14 at 19:13:30:
Actually now I know where I have seen that exact part that price is an actuator turnbuckle take a look at this. https://www.google.com/search?q=actuator+turnbuckle&client=tablet-android-his...

Now if I got one of these identical to the one in the savage only longer would it work?
Also if it would work would it have to be longer on the key or could it be either end?

I'm assuming the actuator turnbuckle is spring operated like the tensioner.  So, here's my thinking... The original Suzuki tensioner works until the chain stretches past the limit of the cylinder. The Verslagen mod then adds another few millimeters of cylinder length by extending the plunger. The beauty of his mod is that the plunger can't fall out and ruin your engine. The issue I see with getting an actuator turnbuckle is you'd have to install it when your stock tensioner is about to fall out. Depending on the over all length and travel of the turnbuckle it may be too long or too short when the chain is in the condition to need a longer tensioner.  You'd have to do some homework to be sure you are getting the right length cylinder and plunger then make sure it will all bolt up to the existing case and rails.  That said, it looks feasible....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 03/27/14 at 05:04:30

wickedbiker wrote on 03/26/14 at 19:13:30:

No one has installed a manual adjustment yet.....you will be the first.

My gut feeling is that you should not use anything with a spherical ball end - the stock tensioner does not use them and I suspect that by not having a flexible end - it helps to keep the rail from moving around sideways too  much.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/27/14 at 06:37:08

If you have access to a mill, a drill, and a welder, you can do the Verslagen modification yourself.

If not, save up the money and get Verslagen to do it for you.  It's only $70 if you send in your cam chain tensioner for him to modify, and it's worth it if you can't do the modification yourself.  It's not $150...unless you don't provide your cam chain tensioner.  So just send in yours for modification.

Plus, if you switch to a manual cam chain tensioner, you're going to need to check it about every 2k miles.  That means you may need to drop $9 every 2k miles on a new case gasket.  So the Verslagen pays for itself in about 15k miles.

You're trying to re-invent the wheel here.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 03/27/14 at 09:20:33

This problem has been addressed. To date, the best answer is the Verzlavy. More than one determined brain has burned for hours studying this. No one has had a better idea yet,It gets all the goody out of a chain AND it adds the safety of not letting the tensioner spit its guts out. Its affordable & functional,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #22 - 03/27/14 at 11:30:22

I think I've spent more on a Tourmaster Flex 3 jacket, Overpants and Scorpion helmet than I have on all the work i've done on the bike including oil, filters and brakes AND the Verslavy tensioner. I got the tensioner at around 700-800 miles and now I am at 14,386 as of this a.m., with soo little that goes wrong with this bike it is a great piece of mind modification. Tomorrow is 1 year since I bought the bike from the steelership and is my daily communter, rain or shine (So Cal - so mostly shine Wink )

My recommendation - Do the Verslavy and then just enjoy the bike.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 03/27/14 at 12:05:28

Dane Allen wrote on 03/27/14 at 11:30:22:
I think I've spent more on a Tourmaster Flex 3 jacket, Overpants and Scorpion helmet than I have on all the work i've done on the bike.

Yep, gear can be expensive.......You can spend $ 2,400 on a jacket and pants! When I first opened the email.....I thought I wasn't reading the prices right!

Not sure why they sent me this offer......that is more than I spent for the entire bike!

riders-mix-032714-1.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 03/27/14 at 12:58:59

Only you can put a price on your a$$.

WWW   IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 03/27/14 at 13:29:37

verslagen1 wrote on 03/27/14 at 12:58:59:
Only you can put a price on your a$$.

Should be Corbin's motto

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 03/27/14 at 15:18:11

But any old ass can put a price on yer head..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:32:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Easy Cheap Cam Chain Tensioner Fix

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.