Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
performance questions (Read 17 times)
the2012
Ex Member

performance questions
07/19/07 at 00:27:32

hi everyone,
this is my first bike, i love it to death. after riding it for a while now, i find myself wanting more power from the machine. (or at least one more gear!!) i have looked everywhere for "performance parts" and im not really sure what to look for.. i mean, really i just want to know a few things: is there such a thing as a stroker kit for a savage? does anyone know if the later model trannysl mount to the older blocks? it kills me on the interstate wth only 4 gears!! also, i see some of you guys have what looks like the carb poking out from the side of the bike... totally awesome.. what are those called and where can i get them? i read a little of a carb tutorial on here, can i just get bigger jets, is that how it works?

really, i just want some more power, if you guys have any sugestions...

..feel free to become creative here, any input on how to juice this bad boy up, let me know

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: performance questions
Reply #1 - 07/19/07 at 05:20:38

I'm sorry, but having progressed up the food chain of small displacement bikes (I started with a 50cc scooter..) all I can say is 'What'?

If you think that the Savage is under powered, go buy yourself a 50cc scooter (you can get one for about $900.00) and ride it around for a month.  Then get yourself a 125cc scooter, then a 150cc scooter, then a 250cc scooter.  After you've riddin those for a while, get back on the Savage.  The minute you crack the throttle, you're going to say 'Wow' again...

In the mean time, you can swap the carb, upgrade to an open air filter (such as a k&n cone) and swap the exhaust.  The above mods should free up a few extra HP, but it's never going to have the snap or the power of a sport bike.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 07/19/07 at 05:33:27

What is the budget you're working with?  

If you are looking for something quick, simple and relatively inexpensive, then just stick with replacing the stock muffler with a Sportster muffler (or similar muffler from an assortment of sources)and rejetting the carburetor to match.  That can be done for abouit $50-100.
This will produce a very nice increase performance and exhaust sound.

Beyond that, you're looking at changing the carb and/or camshaft.  That will run about $500 for both just for the parts.  Are you doing the work yourself or need professional help? More $$ there possibly.
This will produce a very significant boost in power, felt from just off idle all the way to redline... I call it the Savage Beast Package.

Performance Carb Kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=ST...

Performance Camshaft
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=ST...

IP Logged
the2012
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/19/07 at 11:15:16

excellent, that's the stuff im looking for. (although i think i will stick wth the savage rather than trade in for a 50cc).

i have heard people talking about their savages' front ends lfting up during accelleration, mine most certainly DOES NOT.. am i missing out on somethiing? does my bike just not have the power it is supposed to? could my clutch be slipping or something? ... in the back of my head i keep hearing this little voice telling me "nitrous.. nitrous.."

one more question. on the first page of the rider pics, one guy has this killer seat with the springs. its the first bike i think. do you guys know where i can find that?

if you guys can imagine im trying to build a pretty nasty rat-rod with this savage, any more suggestions would be great, thanks again.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 07/19/07 at 13:41:50

All I can really tell you is keep reading this forum, most of the performance mods on here are not store bought but several of us just tinkering until we get something we like. Then most of us will post step by step how to's either in this section or the Tech-ref section. That is where I usually get all my mod ideas and how to.

Basically with this particular bike, the performance mods are achieved with tinkering and minor adjustments and sometimes flat out ingenuity and imagination. The only actual purpose built performance parts for the Savage/S40 are built by the guys and gals on this forum. Such as the High performance cam and piston, Tkat fork brace, and a few others.

And have no fear of asking questions, the folks on here love answering questions and giving ideas.

In fact I am in the process of making some extended forward controls for my bike using the idea from the tech sec posted by Nightrain. I'm modifying his instructions a little bit but am still using his over all design.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #5 - 07/19/07 at 20:06:16

Seriously,now.  What's the obsession with wanting more power?

The bike will already out accelerate almost any cager you will come across,  it will easily cruise at 80mph (with power to spare) and it will run 55mph up a 10% grade at half throttle.

I mean, how much more power can you possibly need?

You could always look at a larger displacement bike, but larger displacement usually means more weight.  More weight ususally means a slower bike.  There's a reason my carbeurated 650cc Savage can easily out accelerate a fuel injected Boulevard C50T.  The Boulevard is nearly 600lbs....

Anyway,  What more can you want from the bike?  Like I said before, you're never going to give it the performance of a crotch-rocket.  (I'm just asking, one enthuiast to another.... Not trying to start anything..)

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 07/19/07 at 20:37:43

For this Savage rider, I just like the expanded torque curve.  Yes, I did get a bit more top end along the way, but the main thing was to raise and broaden the torque curve... because that is where the fun is.  Torque accelerates, torque pulls, torque is just plain fun.
When ridng on the road, state highway, interstate, whatever, the speed rarely exceeds 85mph and when riding with any other cruisers (regardless of make or model) it is a "cat and mouse" game ... MIGHTY MOUSE that is.  Zooming around up to 85 pr 90 is a blast, though that is limited to short isolated  blasts in clear and open areas where saftey can be assured.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/20/07 at 05:26:20

After messing with it a bit I do have to watch how I use the clutch & throttle in a full on acceleration from a stop. The front end will come up. A stock Savage isnt near as savage as one thats been massaged a bit. Stick a free flowing exhaust on it & rejet the carb. Then, if it needs more, open the intake up. If it needs more, stick a cam in it & go to a better carb. If it needs more, get a crotch rokkit!
You can have fun messing with this bike. The folks on this forum will help along the way.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 07/20/07 at 05:34:29

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
After messing with it a bit I do have to watch how I use the clutch & throttle in a full on acceleration from a stop. The front end will come up. A stock Savage isnt near as savage as one thats been massaged a bit. Stick a free flowing exhaust on it & rejet the carb. Then, if it needs more, open the intake up. If it needs more, stick a cam in it & go to a better carb. If it needs more, get a crotch rokkit!
You can have fun messing with this bike. The folks on this forum will help along the way.

justin_o_guy ... dude, how is your milage situation working out?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/20/07 at 12:15:59

My daughter has been riding it & I havent been able to get a tank thru it to see lately. I guess I need to just take it out & do that. It would be a good opportunity to use a couple of the plugs Reelthing gave me when we were down at his place.

IP Logged
the2012
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/20/07 at 12:20:48

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Seriously,now.  What's the obsession with wanting more power?

if you show me a machine, i'll show you a man who wants to make it go faster.

skrapiron, maybe it's because i'm young and senseless? i just think there is this air of curiousity that surrounds cars and motorcycles that begs their operators to wonder, "how quick can i make this sucker?"

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #11 - 07/21/07 at 09:17:11

Ok, I can buy that..  I was young and reckless once too...  (had more money than sense, my father always said).

Anyway, good luck in your pursuit.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/21/07 at 11:12:40

Not dead certain but I think the 4 speed has a taller high gear than the 5 speed. so your engine would be running slower at 70 mph with the 4 speed. IF I remember what I read right.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/21/07 at 15:33:30

My '96 turns 5000 rpm's at 76mph.  And I think the 4speed's were geared for the same top end.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
clarkj35
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/23/07 at 19:09:07

Has anyone put the cam shaft-carb upgrade on their bike? If so did you notice nice gains and still have drivability, durability, reliability,etc...? MPG up or down? If so how drastic? And finally was it worth the money?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:33:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › performance questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.