Send Topic Print
performance questions (Read 17 times)
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Re: performance questions
Reply #15 - 07/24/07 at 21:35:37

About a 50% increase in power.  It is very noticable.  Drivability is still fine, takes off with no clutch slipping and no loss in low end pull.  I thought it was well worth it.  Just make sure to do the cam chain tensioner mod at the same time.  

I must add, that increase assumes a more open exhaust and air filter.

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
clarkj35
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 07/24/07 at 22:13:28

Thanks for the feedback. Will keep this in mind when I have a bit of extra cash around. Hey, my birthday is soon. Now I know what to ask for. Like that will go over well with the missus.

IP Logged
cx500_Rider
YaBB Newbies

This ain't my real
bike.

Santa Rosa, CA
Reply #17 - 09/28/07 at 09:52:55

I was looking on e-bay and saw new jets which are very reasonably priced, so I'm tempted to buy a set.

However, they lead you to believe the this is a 30 minute swap.  This would lead me to believe that the jets could be changed with the carb still on the bike.  

Is this the case, or are they saying that once the carb is out of the bike it's a 30 minute job?

'81 CX500 Deluxe
'82 CX500 Turbo x 2
'86 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 09/28/07 at 10:11:08

The jets can be changed with the carb on the bike.  drop the bowl and they're right there, just hard to see.

Loosen the clamps on the carb and twist to one side for easier access.  Or use a mirror to see what you are doing.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
cx500_Rider
YaBB Newbies

This ain't my real
bike.

Santa Rosa, CA
Reply #19 - 09/28/07 at 10:57:12

AWESOME!!!! Cheesy

'81 CX500 Deluxe
'82 CX500 Turbo x 2
'86 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #20 - 09/28/07 at 11:30:09

cx500_Rider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I was looking on e-bay and saw new jets which are very reasonably priced, so I'm tempted to buy a set.

I bought mine at the local Cycle Gear shop for a lot less an no shipping.  Check local before you buy those on ebay.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 09/28/07 at 12:13:12

Mikuni jets can often be had at the local HD dealer.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #22 - 09/28/07 at 13:55:11

Some of the folks have switched from the belt drive to chain drive. This allows you much more flexibility to adjust your overall gear ratio. Do a search for 'Chain Drive Conversion'. It's pretty indepth about ratio's etc. If I remember right, the recommended gears for most folks gives 70 mph when the speedometer says 60 mph. The RPM change makes a huge difference at highway speeds as far as vibration etc. I am wanting to do that but I am waiting for different belt sprockets maybe. Been a long time since I had to keep a chain clean. I love that belt drive!!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #23 - 09/28/07 at 14:39:49

I'm one that has done the chain conversion.  17/43 sprockets with 530 chain.  Love it and won't go back, but it all depends on what you want.  I demand a bike that can cruise at 70-75 mph and have ample acceleration left if I need it.  I have that now.  I can go 80-85 for extended periods if I need to, but the wind blast gets a little tiring at that point so I don't do it much.  The real question is:  What are you looking for?  If you want a 150mph sport bike you're barking up the wrong tree.  If you want a quick and manuverable cruiser, you've come to the right place.   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 09/28/07 at 18:06:47

the2012 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
young and senseless? i just think there is this air of curiousity that surrounds cars and motorcycles that begs their operators to wonder, "how quick can i make this sucker?"

Young and senseless?  Ahhhhh.  I am older and sensable and definitely believe that any machine, especially one that you ride for fun, is made to be tinkered with in order to improve "efficiency".  I consider efficiency to be more usable torque, power and responsiveness ... within practical  reason of course.

Sooo, go forth and tinker!  
Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:31:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › performance questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.