Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Changing the oil seems impossible! (Read 22 times)
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Changing the oil seems impossible!
07/18/07 at 20:31:14

I tried to do it tonight and I failed.  I read the procedure in the tech files but the bike is too low to the ground!!!  I use 2 2x4's under the stand but that only leveled the bike out and didn't give me and clearance.  Plus, there is no room for a socket, and, with mine being an 86', my 17mm socket is too long to clear and get leverage!  I can see why they switched to 14mm.  14mm wrenches are inheritely shorter.  The only way I can see this working is to get a lift.  But I have a lift!  I just can't get it under the bike because it's too low.

I could really use some tip and/or tricks.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Changing the oil seems impossible!
Reply #1 - 07/18/07 at 21:13:53

I use a 17 mm short combination wrench. I'm sure you can get one at Sears, mine is one of a Snap-on set. I think S-K has them also. Or what is sometimes called a starter wrench, cresent shaped double box should also work if one end is the correct size. I don't think a socket or even a ratcheting box wrench will fit if the bike is on the tires. I use a flat deck Handy Brand hoist and the short wrench and a shot hammer have not failed me in 10 years. I use a small loaf bread pan to catch the hot oil in and rock the bike back forth a cople times slowly to drain the crankcase pockets of old oil. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 07/18/07 at 21:14:57

Just had a thought, buy a 17 mm wrench for a buck at a pawn shop and cut it down to about 4" on the box end should work.Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/18/07 at 21:46:22

I just did this a couple of weekends ago.

Get a brick and lay a 2x6 on it for a ramp and push the front wheel up it.  Have a similar brick for the kick stand.

Plenty of room under it then.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 07/18/07 at 21:52:29

I have a set of car ramps that I just remembered about so I was going to use that for the front and I will doing something similar to your brick for the kickstand.

I guess i've just been spoiled by my Yamaha FZ1's center stand   Tongue

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/18/07 at 22:41:05

I did "Max_Morley's", and cut a cheapo wrench in half.  Now it's no problem.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/18/07 at 23:23:00

Mine sits on the sidestand, no spacer & I lay on an old quilt, slide a small plastic bowl under it & bust the thing loose. If I needed a 17 mm wrench shortened so I could use it I wouldnt care if it was a New one from Sears or Snap on, I will cut that doggie where I want it, because tools are supposed to get the job done or they arent tools at all. Whatever it takes to get the tool to do what I need is what is gonna get done to it. I have adrawer with hacked off & bent wrenches in it.
IF the threads are the same size in the case, maybe you could replace the plug, if that would make it easier. AS soon as I realized the easiest way was for the box end to be on the head of the plug with the wrench pointed at the front tire & Give it a smack down to get it loose, oil changes got easy.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/18/07 at 23:29:24

exactly what I do, full size box end pointed at the tire.

Now I've changed to a mag plug it's a 14mm.  Also, I figured out how to interlock two combo wrenches together to get leverage.  So I've needed a hammer.  Take two combo wrenches, slip the box end over one side of the open end and now you got a wrench long enough to do the job.

I only put it on a brick so I can put the recycle oil pan under the bike.

WWW   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #8 - 07/18/07 at 23:57:16

None of my regular 17mm wrenches fit, so long they hit the ground. I have to use the short one from the bike's tool kit.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
luxup
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/19/07 at 01:44:43

I'm lucky in that mine uses the 14mm but I feel your pain.  
I tried and failed due to not having the proper tool.  I was missing the 14mm wrench and the plug just laughed at my pliers.  Monkey wrench got it's but kicked too so next day, Home Depot.  

I got the bike on the home made lift (thank you tech section)...

but I still did not have enough cleanance for the wrench.  I also got the box end on the plug, wrench pointed at front tire and a good smack down.

Before you know it...

you'll have struck oil.

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 07/19/07 at 07:52:28

Thanks for the tips guys.  I am about to attempt it now.  I will be replacing the stock plug with a 14mm magnetic plug so that should make subsequent changes easier.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/19/07 at 09:29:16

I did the mag plug thing, too, but Old Feller has a line on some real serious magnets for reasonable $$ that pulls the grit from the oil so well his magnetic plug was completely without fuzz, because it all went to his mean mags near the filter. Ask him how. Congrats on busting in there.

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 07/19/07 at 12:01:06

Well I was finally able to get it changed.  I rolled up the front whell onto one of the ramps I use for my car and the stacked some 2x4s on the left side to rest the stand on.  Plug came right out and oil drained.  

Thanks again.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Lazy Man's Bike Stand
Reply #13 - 07/19/07 at 19:07:09

Here is how I stand the bike up for an oil change or minor maintenance:

First, I park it on the kickstand and straighten up the front wheel.  Then I chock both wheels, the front tire gets a chock in the front and the rear tire gets a chock in the rear:

Next, I run a tie-down between the bike and the wall of my garage.....I leave it a little loose for now:

Next, I insert a block I made from two sections of 2X4 under the kickstand.  The tie-down is tight enough to prevent the bike from falling over on the non-kickstand side:

Now I snug up the tie-down and I'm good to go.

BTW, for my bike (see signature), a 14mm Gearwrench works great to get the drain plug out/in.

http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wrenches/ratcheting/combination/stockdetail...

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/19/07 at 20:22:19

Well, that isn't how I do it, AND it looks like it's a bit "overengineered" , BUT, anyone who accomplished\s the goal gets a Gold Star for thei ingenuity & labors. Congratulations on your clever way of conquering the problems.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:26:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing the oil seems impossible!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.