Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gas in oil. (Read 34 times)
dscooter41
Ex Member

Gas in oil.
07/16/07 at 18:37:53

I changed the oil in my Suzuki and the oil pan was full of gas.   Why did that happen?  Also, when I twist the throttle the engine dies but idles great with and without the choke on.  Help????

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Gas in oil.
Reply #1 - 07/17/07 at 10:57:59

check the petcock's vacuum line for gas.  If there is any at all, your vacuum diaphram has a leak.  Replace or convert.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 07/17/07 at 15:25:21

If the vaccuum diaphram is leaky, your problem still isn't solved, because that means your carb needs to be rebuilt.  The carb shouldn't allow gas in the engine ever, even if the petc0ck is set to PRI.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 07/17/07 at 15:29:49

People are telling me that I may have gas in the crank case since I am leaking gas out one of the tubes under the airbox.  My question is how is the gas getting from the carb to the crankcase?  Where is the entry point?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/17/07 at 16:31:34

It will get there by gravity.  If there is a path.  If the petcock's vacuum diaphragm  is leaking, gas will flow down that tube and anywhere it can get that's below the petcock, the carb will not stop it.  Your carb could be fine.  That line is in front of the carb circuit at the output throat  that attaches to intake manifold.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 07/17/07 at 19:02:33

Quote:
gas will flow down that tube and anywhere it can get that's below the petthingy, the carb will not stop it.  Your carb could be fine.

Sorry Serowbot, gotta disagree with you there.  The float's job is to stop gas flow when it's full.  If gas continues to flow when the float bowl is full then the float control needle is not doing it's job.  If that's the case, how can you ever be sure your float level is set correctly?  Answer:  YOU CAN"T!  Float level is CRITICAL to a properly tuned engine.

ANYONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG ABOUT THIS POINT.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 07/17/07 at 19:14:11

In order for the crankcase to fill with gas, the petc0ck would have to malfunction AND the floats would also have to malfunction right?

I thought I had a bad petcOck because I had some drops of gas coming from the tubes, but once the bike stops running it stops dripping.  Is it safe to say that it is most likely just my floats/float needle acting up?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/17/07 at 22:51:24

Quote:
" Sorry Serowbot, gotta disagree with you there."

This is a vacuum line.  That vacuum is supposed to pull on a rubber diaphragm with a plunger in the middle of it, allowing gas to flow from the tank to the carb.  It draws air from the intake manifold vacuum.  No float needle up there.
 If the petcock plunger's rubber diaphragm gets a hole in it, engine vacuum will pull gas directly into the intake manifold, bypassing the carb, making the bike run very rich.  When there is no engine vacuum, it will allow gas to leak down into the engineand will eventually pool in the crankcase.
 Trust me,  I've been there.
 This may or may not be your problem, but it is a problem common to this bike, so I recommend that you check it.
Best of luck.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/17/07 at 23:58:16

serowbot's right

but here's why...

Gas flows thru the petc0ck to the carb on the left side.  Gas flow is controlled by the needle valve if its working right.
The petc0ck has a diapham controlled by vacuum from a fitting on the right side of the carb.  On one side of the diapham is gas, the other vacuum.  if the diapham leaks gas it goes straight to the venturi bypassing the needle valve.  So this could happen weather you have a good needle valve or not.
Now depending where you park your bike, the gas has a choice... into the cylinder and down into the crankcase or out to the airbox.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 07/18/07 at 08:01:29

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Quote:
" Sorry Serowbot, gotta disagree with you there."

This is a vacuum line.  That vacuum is supposed to pull on a rubber diaphragm with a plunger in the middle of it, allowing gas to flow from the tank to the carb.  It draws air from the intake manifold vacuum.  No float needle up there.
 If the petcock plunger's rubber diaphragm gets a hole in it, engine vacuum will pull gas directly into the intake manifold, bypassing the carb, making the bike run very rich.  When there is no engine vacuum, it will allow gas to leak down into the engineand will eventually pool in the crankcase.
 Trust me,  I've been there.
 This may or may not be your problem, but it is a problem common to this bike, so I recommend that you check it.
Best of luck.

So this is something that would happen over a long period of time right?  I just took a whiff from the oil cap and didn't smell any gas.  Would I know right away if there was any in there?  Also I took apart the petc0ck and sucked on the tube and the diaphragm seems just fine.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #10 - 07/18/07 at 08:05:31

There are 2 ways for the gas to get in the cyl. One- thru a leaky petcock /more unlikely/. Second way is thru the carb/more likely/. Thru the carb , there are 2 ways:
1. thru the leaky float needle, which means the rubber tip has hardened and doesn't seal, or there is small particle, that doesn't let the float needle to close fully.
2. The most likely reason is that the O-ring around the brass part of the float valve assy has shrunk and the fuel is leaking between the aluminum carb body and the float valve assy. The cure is new rubber O-ring. Lately I have been  using green O-rings from Autozone, that are designed to be used on the A/C system of the cars. I just hope that these O-rings will autstand the junk that the oil companies are calling gas.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 07/18/07 at 11:32:42

I've been using nitrile o-rings for pretty much any fuel/oil applications.  However, since I've been considering trying to convert my Savage to flex-fuel (and I still haven't decided if it's worthwhile to try), I've done some reading and it looks like Viton®/Kalrez® o-rings may be the best for most of these applications.  Though these are more expensive, they probably wouldn't be bad in small quantities.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
oldman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/22/07 at 20:57:31

Greetings
I'm new to the forum and was going to ask about the gas in the oil problem, but I found this thread that has answered most of my questions. I still have one question on this subject, the young man that we bought this bike from said that the previous owner had already removed the plastic washer or spacer or something from the carb that the factory had added that didn't work and needed to be removed to run right does any one have any idea what he's talking about? ??? Oh yeah, this is a 97 model.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/22/07 at 21:37:43

Yea, he was talking about a plastic spacer that sits down in the hole at the bottom of the slide. The needle, the one that goes into the main jet, is held down deep into the main jet by that spacer he removed. Now, the jet has less needle poked into it when the thing is idling, making it a bit richer mix. Most only file it down to about 1/2 thinckness. I actually went back & added stuff to rebuild mine, since the thing seemed too rich. NOw, the dimensions for that thing I just dont remember, but there are a few guys here who will likely post pics, with lines drawn for clarification, with dimensions soon. If not, I will see what I can drag up for ya IF you want to add some spacer back in.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #14 - 07/22/07 at 21:51:16

About the white spacer- The original is 2.5 mm thick. If You make it about 1.5mm , You will be happy. If You want to replace it with small washers, just add couple of them to come with the desired thickness.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:26:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas in oil.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.