Blue Flame (Read 7 times)
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Blue Flame
07/16/07 at 20:15:54

To set the story off right, I do have a moderate backfiring issue ( mostly when shifting from 1st to 2nd and when closing the throttle after holding it at 1/4 open for awhile).  So, I was out riding tonight and took a turn down a rather dark road.  That's when I started to see some flashes.  At first I thought that it was lightning and tried to race the storm home.  While standing at a traffic light, I held the throttle open about 1/4 and slammed it shut.  To my amazement, a solid blue flame shot from the tailpipe.  Is this normal for a backfire?  Is there a flame every time I backfire?   I know it's not good for the bike, but to tell the truth, it did look pretty neat.

IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Re: Blue Flame
Reply #1 - 07/28/07 at 21:25:14

yeah man, i never saw my flame untill my buddy road mine. When ever a person parks my bike and kills it, i gives off one final defiant POP! and when he did it the tail pipe was facing me (around 1AM in the mountians) and to my amazment there was a cool blue flame that came out. I thought it was awsome and had him do it again to see if it could light a ciggerett, sadly it couldnt. but dont worry about it as long as its a small flash/spark/burst, if its some strange steady flame however, get it check out.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/28/07 at 22:23:59

The afterfire (commonly called backfire, but backfire is thru the carb) is caused by the epa tuned altra lean carb.  A pop upon closing throttle can be tuned out by readjusting the pilot screw on the right side of the carb.  The screw is hidden as it comes from the factory by a plug.  Most likely you'll have to drill it out to adjust it.  Give it about a 1/4 out (ccw), that fixed it for me.

Other sources of the pop are loose header bolts, torque them with the engine dead cold to 15 to 20 ft-lbs.

Or the slip on muffler clamp can be loose.

Also check the carb duct clamps, a leak thru there can cause it too.   Grin

p.s. sorry about the late reply.  we must've been deep into another discussion.  Give us a shout if we don't reply.

WWW   IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #3 - 07/29/07 at 04:21:39

verslagen1 or anyone who can answer, where would the carb duct clamps be located and would anyone of these clamps being loose   cause a slight loss in power?
Thanks

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #4 - 07/29/07 at 04:43:39

The carb sits in two rubber tubes (ducts) that are clamped just like a water hose on a radiator. If the the one between the carb and the motor was loose enough you could possible suck enough air to lean out enough to cause problems. Should be able to snug the clamps up from the side of the motor.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #5 - 07/29/07 at 04:52:22

Thanks for the reply Grandpa. I will take a look.

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:24:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Blue Flame

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.