Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
So let me get this straight... (Read 28 times)
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: So let me get this straight...
Reply #15 - 07/17/07 at 16:38:04

also when your low on fuel itll pop to tell you to switch to reserve..least my 06 does...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #16 - 07/17/07 at 18:04:48

It is definately running lean.

As I was pulling out of the swim meet tonight, the bike darn near died when I gave it throttle.  When I backed down to idle, it returned normal.

The only way I could get it to run right was with the choke pulled out to the first notch.

Once I got out on the road, I pushed the choke back in and the surging and backfiring began all over again.  I went back to the choke out 1 and the acceleration smoothed out and no backfire.. At all.

I guess I'll be pulling the carb apart sooner than I wanted to.  Either that, or I'll just have to keep riding around town with the choke 1/4 engaged.....

This makes me miss the scooter that we traded for the Savage.  It had an automatic choke.  What sucked was it was only a 125cc engine.  Oh well, back to mechanics school for me.....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #17 - 07/18/07 at 08:14:14

**New Update**

I went into work a bit late this morning, as I was stuck in my garage putzing with the carb on my bike.

I followed the instructions (thanks for those, by the way)  and had the top and diaphragm off of my carb in less than 10 minutes.

I took out the two retaining screws and the needle popped right out.  I took the spacer off and then built up from the C-clip using 3 small washers.  I then put the spacer back on and ran it over some 100 grit sandpaper.  Overall, I reduced the spacer by 1/3 to 1/2.  Where I ran into trouble was the reassembly.

I had no idea that the plate holding the needle in place was keyed (I didn't pay close enough attention when I took it apart.) So I assembled it backwards, partially covering the two back holes.  I figured that was not right, so I took it back apart and turned it over.  Much better.

While I had the diaphragm out, I inspected my jets and throttle body.  Everything looked clean (no carbon build-up), but I ran a small pick through each jet just to make sure.

I reassembled the carb , refitted the gas tank and partially filled it (maybe 1/2 gallon).

When I went to start it, I forgot to apply the choke, but to my amazement, it started anyway!  Cold, no choke!

I let it idle for a minute while I refitted the seat then took it on a short test run.

I immediately noticed a HUGE difference.  Instead of lugging from the start, the acceleration was MUCh improved.  Likewise, the surging that I was feeling at low rpm operation was nearly completely eliminated.

When I opened it up, I still did not hear the back fire between shifts and the only time I could make it back fire was after letting the engine spool down from high RPM (maybe 5k or so).  Before, it would backfire every time I would use engine braking to slow.  Not any more.

The throttle response is amazing now.  I can go from low throttle and crack it open with ne hesitation. Before, it would go thud-thud-thud-vroom.

I cannot thank you guys enough fof the information you gave me.  I guess this is something that the dealer would never have done for me, so in a way, I guess they were right.  It's supposed to run like that.

I'm happy!  And i'm riding to Cranberry for lunch!

Thanks again!!!!!

-Skrap

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
BigWes
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 07/22/07 at 19:51:20

I just got my 95 and knew from this fourm that it would back fire. I just got my licence and meet up with a few friends (who all ride new R1's and the such, blah blah) and they were seated outside a large coffee shop. so i rolled by and intentonaly downshifted with a high rev. It cracked off 4 M80 sounding pops and scared the crap outta all the patrons.  Grin and i was laughing my but off.

Have fun with it man. if you dont want it to happen drop the revs down, personaly i freaken love doing it. makes me think my bike is bigger than it is =)

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #19 - 08/23/07 at 00:04:23

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
**New Update**

I went into work a bit late this morning, as I was stuck in my garage putzing with the carb on my bike.

I followed the instructions (thanks for those, by the way)  and had the top and diaphragm off of my carb in less than 10 minutes.

I took out the two retaining screws and the needle popped right out.  I took the spacer off and then built up from the C-clip using 3 small washers.  I then put the spacer back on and ran it over some 100 grit sandpaper.  Overall, I reduced the spacer by 1/3 to 1/2.  Where I ran into trouble was the reassembly.

I had no idea that the plate holding the needle in place was keyed (I didn't pay close enough attention when I took it apart.) So I assembled it backwards, partially covering the two back holes.  I figured that was not right, so I took it back apart and turned it over.  Much better.

While I had the diaphragm out, I inspected my jets and throttle body.  Everything looked clean (no carbon build-up), but I ran a small pick through each jet just to make sure.

I reassembled the carb , refitted the gas tank and partially filled it (maybe 1/2 gallon).

When I went to start it, I forgot to apply the choke, but to my amazement, it started anyway!  Cold, no choke!

I let it idle for a minute while I refitted the seat then took it on a short test run.

I immediately noticed a HUGE difference.  Instead of lugging from the start, the acceleration was MUCh improved.  Likewise, the surging that I was feeling at low rpm operation was nearly completely eliminated.

When I opened it up, I still did not hear the back fire between shifts and the only time I could make it back fire was after letting the engine spool down from high RPM (maybe 5k or so).  Before, it would backfire every time I would use engine braking to slow.  Not any more.

The throttle response is amazing now.  I can go from low throttle and crack it open with ne hesitation. Before, it would go thud-thud-thud-vroom.

I cannot thank you guys enough fof the information you gave me.  I guess this is something that the dealer would never have done for me, so in a way, I guess they were right.  It's supposed to run like that.

I'm happy!  And i'm riding to Cranberry for lunch!

Thanks again!!!!!

-Skrap

Aloha,
I have been riding my bike with either a full or half out choke since I bought it.
The previous owner said it ran cold, and to leave the choke out until it warmed up. Well. I've been on a 2 hour ride and I still couldn't push the choke back in without the engine knocking or almost shutting down. I think I might try what you just did.
Please tell me where the instructions you followed are.
I red all of the "So let me get this straight..." quotes but I don't see the instruction on how to.
Thank you!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #20 - 08/23/07 at 06:16:55

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I red all of the "So let me get this straight..." quotes but I don't see the instruction on how to.
Thank you!

Check out the Tech section - its all there.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #21 - 08/23/07 at 18:32:19

Actually I was looking in the tech section.
It's just that I don't know the terminology, and that most post titles don't make make sense to me.
And to open up each and every post to read if it is what I was looking for would take forever. The only time I have is late at night when the kids are in bed, or an occasional afternoon when I decide just to forgo doing the dishes or the laundry (I normally  pay for that decision later).
My shocks are also leaking oil at the moment, my search for shock rubber ring turned up pretty empty. Now I know it is called a front fork oil seal. Who would have thunk it is called a fork seal instead of shock seal? Did you know the part department at bike bandit calls it front damper? Yet another terminology, no wonder I couldn't find the seal. I had to look at every schematic to recognize the shocks.
Well maybe in about 1/2 a year from now I might actually know how to phrase stuff and find it.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #22 - 08/23/07 at 20:17:16

islandwahine
Wait till you see how the micro-fiche is laid out. That makes absolutely no sense. But once you've seen it You'll remember it, hopefully. I guess what I'm saying is don't give up looking for it, it just may not be where you think it is.
I am referring to the parts lists at web sites like Ron Ayers. It's not their fault, others are the same way, just need a little persistence.
Ride Well and Often

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:20:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So let me get this straight...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.