Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dead? (Read 5 times)
DQ2inCT
Ex Member

Dead?
07/16/07 at 09:21:13

Hi all, I've got a confusing problem with my '05 S40.  Yesterday my husband and I went out for a ride and after a few miles he pulled me over to tell me that my brake light was flickering.  I checked it and it was working so I made a mental note of the flicker and we continued on our ride.  A little while later I noticed that my blinker indicator lights weren't working.  While running these two problems through my head, the bike started backfiring and then stalled.  I got it over to the side of the road and it restarted but it stalled as soon as I tried to pull away.  I managed to coast off onto a side road and we both checked it over - full tank of gas, choke off, gas on, all systems go.  My husband started it up and revved it with success.  Then he tried pulling away and it died again but this time it was dead.  No lights, no horn, nothing.  So it was time to ride home on the back of his Triumph and get the trailer.  Once the S40 got back in the garage I hooked up the battery charger.  This morning the green light on the charger was on so I tried the bike again - still nothing, completely dead....but, when I put the key in the PS position, the lights came on.  Does this sound like an ignition problem?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.   ???

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Dead?
Reply #1 - 07/16/07 at 09:37:27

Sounds like the battery. If it is original to the bike, you may need to just go ahead and replace it.  Recharging may get you enough to run the lights, but not the ignition system.

Keep us posted.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
DrT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 07/16/07 at 10:02:13

It could also be the voltage regulator - if its malfunctioning or badly connected then the battery won't charge.  Eventually the ignition drains enough from the battery to flatten it.

IP Logged
DQ2inCT
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/16/07 at 10:11:22

The battery was replaced last fall so it is not that old.  The battery charger is indicating that the battery is charged by the green light.  The lights and horn do work when the key is in the PS (parking light) position.  However, when the key is in the ON position, the bike is completely dead.  Even if the battery is weak and needs to be replaced, shouldn't the lights work the same whether the key is in the PS or ON position?  Something seems to be up with the ignition circuit.  Undecided

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 07/16/07 at 10:25:07

Check the battery connections at both the battery and where the ground wire attaches to the frame and the hot lead to the solenoid. Sounds like when the load goes up the circuit creates enough resistance it won't work. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 07/16/07 at 15:24:36

Voltage regulator.

OR

Diodes on the alternator struck out... (as in baseball )

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 07/16/07 at 16:55:48

Check under the front right side of the tank for a wire harness connector and see if it has worked loose. I had a loose one on my '02 and it acted the same as you are describing. There is also an engine ground on the lower right side of the engine that can cause problems.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #7 - 07/16/07 at 18:37:02

uhm.  brake light leads shorting out?  connector in the brake light popped free?  i'd say start tracing that brake lights wiring.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #8 - 07/16/07 at 20:55:28

there is a fuse under the seat, i dont know how much it controls the electricals on the bike, but others have had it fail. if you find it blown, look for chaffed/pinched wires somewhere.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 07/16/07 at 21:53:03

Just as with checking the fuses; any electrical problem with multiple symptoms begs to have the ground system checked. Starting with the battery ground terminal itself, and then others. Including, as someone mentioned before, the one from the engine to the frame.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 07/16/07 at 22:09:28

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Voltage regulator.

OR

Diodes on the alternator struck out... (as in baseball )

Unless I'm mistaken, the "voltage regulator" on the Savage is really a rectifier unit which would include the function of the diodes usually inside an automotive type alternator. I'd bet money that the Savage's "rectifier/regulator" has some nice size diodes built into it.

Also, something else I was reading struck me as strange... If I understood correctly, the alternator rotor and windings on the Savage, and lots of other Japanese bikes produce multi-phase AC (Alternating Current) instead of two-phase AC like most countries use for household current. This was news to me. I guess they do it that way because multi-phase AC lends itself to easy generation.

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #11 - 07/17/07 at 07:58:20

Yes. multi-phase AC is very common on bikes, cars and trucks. Compared to the old style DC generators, AC alternators can start charging the battery at much lower rpms and they dont have those brushes and armatures that need to be serviced. Actually the windings are stationary (stator) and its the magnets that spin (rotor).

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - 07/18/07 at 07:02:30

The original battery in my 05 S40 died on me two weeks ago (lack of maintenace I'm sure). Exact same symptoms. I charged the battery up to 12.64 volts (multimeter reading), stuck it in the bike and still the same thing. when I checked it after removing it 10 minutes later, the voltage had dropped to 10.27 volts.
Repeat and same thing.
I bought a Deko (Big Crank) AGM battery and now the bike starts better than ever.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:22:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dead?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.