Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How many accessories can I hook up? (Read 12 times)
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

How many accessories can I hook up?
07/14/07 at 19:03:44

I am starting to plan my mods for the 86 Savage i'm planning to buy, and I want to know how much excess power the stock system produces.  What kind of auxillary lights can be added and other power products without stressing the electrical system too much.  I was even planning on making a custom enclosure, similar to the old Cycle Sound unit, for a stereo and speakers.

Thanks.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: How many accessories can I hook up?
Reply #1 - 07/15/07 at 10:17:21

just about nothing

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 07/15/07 at 10:40:03

Ouch.  Is there any way to up the stock output?  I see people putting extra tail lights and driving lights, I'm probably only going to need roughly that much extra power but I was  hoping for number (specs).

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/15/07 at 11:03:20

There was another thread within the last year about this.  There's an upgrade rotor or coils for additional wattage.

People have been adding the driving lights and that's an extra 70 watts.  That seems to be the limit.  Of course all the lights are fillament and you can change those to led's for a power saving to be applied else where.

Check out smokey's big head light.  using the same bulb he's getting a lot more light.  So if you're looking for more headlight with the same wattage that might be a way to go.  I'll certainly keep my eyes pealed for a deal on a big headlight.   Shocked

I've been checking into HID lights, more light at 35 watts.  But not legal unless it's factory equipment.  And there are several variants, one you loose your highbeam, 2 highbeam is a halogen light, and 3 a solenoid moves the bulb or shutter for high low.

My feelings are that the stock headlight does not focus the light properly.  55 watts on low is not enough yet at 60 watts in high is just great.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 07/16/07 at 08:23:57

I agree with the LED light conversion. I'll be replacing my signals, taillight and front running/signal lights with LED's as soon as I can afford the time and $. Since I'm now able to pull my little utility trailer with The Bee I need to change the lights on it as well. In the end that should give me at least a net even power usage or even a slight gain.

If you want tunes, perhaps look into a set of helmet speakers and an mp3 player or radio. You'll get much better sound at a lower price. I know how annoyed I get when I pull up next to someone on a bike with their tunes blasting away loud enough to overcome road noise. It's never anything I want to listen to either.

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures. I think we should stretch that concept into the audio world as well.

Jack

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 07/16/07 at 08:38:55

Regarding the LED lights, isn't there going to be a problem with draw?  What I mean is that the systems on bikes i've messed with (as with cars) sense the draw of the light and if it is lower than a set threshold, the blinkers go off erratically to indicate a blown light.  When I have swapped out LED light s in motor vehicles, I get that problem because the LED lights draw so much less power, that the system thinks there's a blown light.  I know that there are ones that anticipate this and add resistors to make the system believe there is a filament bulb, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/16/07 at 08:46:02

yes, you'll have to replace the blinker with one balenced for led's

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 07/16/07 at 13:31:11

toddlamp8 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I am starting to plan my mods for the 86 Savage i'm planning to buy, and I want to know how much excess power the stock system produces.  What kind of auxillary lights can be added and other power products without stressing the electrical system too much.  I was even planning on making a custom enclosure, similar to the old Cycle Sound unit, for a stereo and speakers.

Thanks.

sounds to me like you need a different machine, one better suited for the mods you wish to make.  Smiley

for me things like  stereo's, windshields, mag wheels, and little dangly air freshners belong on cages, not motorcycles.  Shocked

different strokes for different folks.   8)

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 07/16/07 at 14:21:54

nah, I got just what I wanted.  It's a nice, inexpensive cruiser for my work commute.  I have just always been into fabricating and modifying and wanted to know what my limits are.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 07/16/07 at 14:35:03

I located the link to the outfit in the UK that makes the high output generator winding for the Savage:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/erol.html

If you look at the bottom of the page for the LS-650 generator, you'll see a small link to the "high output" (+30%- whatever that is) version #G109. It only cost about $20 more than the standard Gen coil and should provide some extra output for a few accessories.

I think Reelthing has actually ordered and installed one(?) So he might be able to tell about real cost and shipping cost/time...

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 07/16/07 at 16:50:23

toddlamp8 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
 I have just always been into fabricating and modifying and wanted to know what my limits are.

now that's the skills that are really needed to make the mods, as nothing is made specifically for the savage.

i've always said,  anything can fit anything, with a little work.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 07/16/07 at 17:44:18

While we're on this subject... For those who don't already know, the alternator/generator (charging and accessory electrical system) on motorcycles is typically a total loss system. Any energy not used by some component such as lighting, ignition or battery recharging, must be burned off as heat.

That is why the rectifier unit, besides rectifying (converting) the three phase AC voltage developed by the alternator (charging coil) on newer bikes into DC voltage, also includes heat sinks to dissipate the unneeded power in the form of heat.  

Older bikes with a DC generator, used a "Zenier Diode" with heat sinks to burn off excess electrical output not used by charging or lighting.

In either case, neither works like an automotive system; as there is no true "regulation" of energy produced. As Automotive systems have a true "regulator"; which switches off the controlling "exciter" voltage to the alternator to stop it form producing unneeded electricity in the first place. Hence no need for a car/truck to "burn off" excess electricity.

(All this is intended as a mini synopsis of how the electrical charging and accessory system on motorcycles usually works. If some degreed EE out there wants to shoot holes in it... have fun!)

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #12 - 07/16/07 at 18:05:47

I too have had a LOT of practice at "make it fit" parts prototyping and fabrication of parts on various machinery. Sadly I've not had much opportunity to apply these skills to motorcycles, and given the money resources, I'd be very interested to know what my skills would allow me to do on bikes. That is one reason I'm so pumped about the Savage. There is a lot of potential to be unlocked in the drive system, and even the frame could be chopped/stretched, added to or otherwise modified. And the bikes themselves are reasonably priced used, and stock parts are fairly plentiful. Besides fabrication and assembly work, I've done considerable layout and welding work; but all with an old oxygen/acetylene torch. Which I also learned to braze and weld with as a very young man. Using a stick welder kind of came naturally with only a bit of coaching in HS and later on the job. Wire welding (MIG) was a cinch once you learn to set the machine up. My latest thing along that line though, is wanting to learn how to use a plasma cutting 'torch' and TIG weld. After watching the neighbor do my exhaust with these modern tools, I've got a real itch to learn how to use them. The results multitudes better looking than any but the very best results with old welding technology.

But for right now, there is a weed-eater out in the barn with my name on it, and all the rain drowning us down here means, I'm far behind on keeping this acre mowed and edged... Ahh domestic chores... the plight of modern man... and woman... phfffttt...

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 07/16/07 at 21:12:43

Well once I get the newly acquired Savage running right, i'll see hoe I can get my hands dirty!  I'm trying to figure out this carb (but thats in a separate thread)

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #14 - 07/17/07 at 16:51:47

electrical assys. on my 06
led volt meter
red (bike is red)led pimp lites under the frame,pair under the back fender pointing at the cager behind me,
led license plate bolts tyed to the brake ckt.
been swappin bulbs(20 watt halogens,and leds) on the mr 11 spots mounted above the front signals..
the oil temp gauge needs 12v for the back lite and for the sender unit..
so far the gauge been tellin me im charging when ridin..
lil low at idle(1200 rpm) with the 20 w halogens..
want music now..  researching a capicator like the boy racers hook up to their stereo amps..$$$ will dictate..
there is a post from last year how to measure your rec/reg output..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:23:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How many accessories can I hook up?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.