Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Accident damage (bent frame mount) Is it serious? (Read 13 times)
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Accident damage (bent frame mount) Is it serious?
07/14/07 at 18:34:35

I was in an accident yesterday. A car turned out right in front of me. I layed it down while braking hard. I'm generally ok, but the front fork tubes are bent, but the worrying damage is a 2 inch dent in the down tube of the frame and one of the left frame mounts is bent (where is attaches to the plate with clutch/footrest). It's only bent, maybe 5-10 degrees.

The question is, how bad is this for the integrity of the frame. Is it worth trying to unbend the mount, or write off the frame entirely?

Thanks for any advice.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Accident damage (bent frame mount) Is it serio
Reply #1 - 07/14/07 at 21:09:59

A 2 inch dent can be read 2 ways. A dent that is 2 inches long in the downtube. A dent that drives the downtube to the side 2 inches. If it's a shallow dent in the downtube that is 2 inches long, I would say no biggeeee, but if the downtube is moved over 2 inches, that's an issue. I can see repairing it, myself, but paying to have it done would likely cost more than a frame costs. If the forks are really bent thers a cost, but sometimes they are just "Tweaked" & the triple tree clamps can be loosened & straighten them up & the handlebars are straight across again when the tire is pointed straight. To know when it's lined up, get a piece of light rope that doesnt stretch & mark a spot on the front tire, measure to the end of the handlebar, do the same thing on each side & adjust till you get them equal. A little tape on the rope helps & a spot on the tire to make sure you measure at the same place. Whiteout on the tire is good. I had to do this on the Guzzi when I dropped it, cuz it slapped hard enough to make the front tire point left.I wound up kicking the tire to get the thing to go back, Even with the clamp loose, it wouldnt just go back straight without"persuasion".  Good Luck.

IP Logged
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #2 - 07/15/07 at 04:46:07

The dent on the down tube does not deflect the frame, simply an indentation. The fork tubes are ruined. Mangled would be another term for them. I was mostly concerned by the deflection of one of the motor mounts from when they hit the ground fairly hard.... I'll try and post a pic later today.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/15/07 at 08:06:22

I notice you arent talking about yourself being injured. Did you manage to get away without the person who mashed your bike hurting You, too? If so, Congratulations!! Real sad about the bike, but surely their insurance will be buying you another??

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 07/15/07 at 10:14:41

If the forks are bent, You definitely have bent tripple trees. Also check for the stoper, that prevents triple trees and forks from hitting the gas tank- You might need to have it built back or rewelded.
Other wise everything could be fixed

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/15/07 at 13:24:31

Study the frame for cracked paint at the welds above & below the bend. If cracked, it's bent more than you can see.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:36:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Accident damage (bent frame mount) Is it serious?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.