Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie Question - decompression Solenoid (Read 62 times)
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Newbie Question - decompression Solenoid
07/13/07 at 14:35:49

What is the purpose of the decompression Solenoid? What other then hard starting can it's improper adjustment create? I did see the tech section concerning the proper adjustment. A new inquiring mind wants to know....Thanks. Also well I am asking questions that most may know the answer to does anyone know of a dummys book or somthing of that kind on the workings of a one lunger?  Thanks again.

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Re: Newbie Question - decompression Solenoid
Reply #1 - 07/13/07 at 15:11:41

I am new on bike wrenching but the decomp solenoid opens the exhaust valve during the initial spin of the starter so the momentum of that one big piston can get going without the load of engine compression. it then lets the valev work normal so the engine will fire and run. Out of adjustment will keep the valve from opening putting to much load on the starter or keep the valve open all the time causing low power and burning a valve. My first time to check mine I didn't have a clue. The pictures in the factory manual stink. I cruised thru a multitude ot postings until I saw one that makes since. To check it reach under it and clamp it in your hand. It will push the plunger thru the solenoid so you can measure it. You check it at top dead center as if you were going to adjust the valves. Hope I haven't confused you too much.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Strafford_Guy

96 in progress

Strafford, NH
Reply #2 - 07/13/07 at 15:43:01

Grandpa, Thanks for the reply. Not confusing at all.  I am just trying to figure out the workings of the beast. It seems everything I read about leads to something else. I am sure that it will all come togather at some point. There is a lot of good information on this site and a I appreciate that the folks here share their knowledge. Still looking for that good book

SERENITY - Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul
straffordguy   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #3 - 07/14/07 at 04:18:36

The chain book stores sell a book called 'Idiot's guide to motorcycles'. I don't remember if it has a chapter on just singles but it's a pretty good book . I was to cheap to buy one, about $30 if I remember right. But go to Barnes and Noble, buy a large coffee, find the book and read away. I just kept readimg the sight here until it all clicked (somewhat). You learn something new evrytime you check-in here!! Welcome aboard to the Savage world.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:37:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie Question - decompression Solenoid

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.