Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
carb question and misc stuff (Read 2 times)
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
carb question and misc stuff
07/12/07 at 11:44:06

One of the fine members here sent me a 152.5 main....presently have a stock muffler, but a K&N filter has replaced the stock one.  Thinking about an install of a Jardine slip on.  Using the stock muffler can I go ahead and put in the jet and also would I have to install a Dyno kit to replace the 152.5 with the slip on???
05 S40

Be carefull if you replace quips with Kurykyn ISO universal grips.  There is no problem with the left side, but make some trial runs on the throttle side as the rubber will not go all the way up the way the plastic sleeve is made.  I had to cut and fit two pieces.

Have done spacer mod and adjucted pilot.

Thanks and RIDE SAFE!!!

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: carb question and misc stuff
Reply #1 - 07/12/07 at 12:17:43

dyno: no.  the only advantage in the dyno-jet kit is the needle has spaces to move the clip up and down, which we accomplish by the white spacer mod.  mikuni jets should be available in all sizes at your local delearship, suzuki or otherwise.  prolly run a little rich w/ stock muff and kn air fitler only and the 152.5.  won't kill the bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/12/07 at 14:03:58

I'm running a 152.5 & Supertrapp with 14 baffles. Stock pilot. I think it could lean out a tad. The plan is to go back to the 150 main & if it's too lean I will go back to the stock air filter & maybe pull baffles. I don't expect much need based on the backfire issue I no longer have. I expect just the filter swap will deal with the jet change. Is there a reason to do it differently?

IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #3 - 07/12/07 at 16:52:57

The answer to the 'do it differently' is (take this lightly) I don't know.  I did find out unless you are going to 'rag it out' and need the top end speed the larger jet would work just fine.  My riding is around town and country roads .  I do ride with a group and our trips are day trips and usually less than 250 miles round trip.  No interstate.  Thanks for your input.

RIDE SAFE!!!

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/12/07 at 18:26:53

I put the 150 in & went & topped it out on the same road. Hit the same MPH, maybe one better, with the 150. So, does that mean its not too lean? If the top end isnt lowered, I am still providing a good mixture? I sure want the answer to be yes. Ohh, BTW, No backfiring, except the occasional little pop when I slap the throttle shut just right.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 07/13/07 at 04:48:59

Baldeagle wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Be carefull if you replace quips with Kurykyn ISO universal grips.  There is no problem with the left side, but make some trial runs on the throttle side as the rubber will not go all the way up the way the plastic sleeve is made.  I had to cut and fit two pieces.

You did shave/file off the ridges on the throttle sleeve before installing the Kuryakyn grip, right?  I had no trouble at all installing the ISO grips on either side.  The only trouble would be in trying to get them off if you swap handlebars.  Now that is tough.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #6 - 07/13/07 at 07:59:47

To new to the game to know many of the tips and tricks to the S40.  The guys I ride with all have the big crusiers so I'm the 'Runt' of the bunch.  This S40 is simple and straight forward to work on myself with a lot of help and advice. If I owned anything larger it would have to go to a real 'gearhead'.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 07/13/07 at 22:15:50

You keep messing around with this bike and you'll wake up one day and notice your getting more gearheaded than you thought I'll bet

IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #8 - 07/14/07 at 10:06:44

Your right about that and as they say here in Mississippi 'I'm a-fixing' to replace the main and add a Jardine slip on.  Will have a gearhead friend here with the carb.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 07/14/07 at 10:49:35

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I put the 150 in & went & topped it out on the same road. Hit the same MPH, maybe one better, with the 150. So, does that mean its not too lean? If the top end isnt lowered, I am still providing a good mixture? I sure want the answer to be yes. Ohh, BTW, No backfiring, except the occasional little pop when I slap the throttle shut just right.

No, getting the same or better top speed is not a guarantee that your mix isn't too lean. Performance can improve up to a point with a lean mixture, even more lean than you really want it running. While ideal would be maximum performance with the most lean mix that will not cause damage; I always intentionally err a bit towards the rich side just to be sure. Nothing ruins your day like finding out you've burned valves or holed a piston due to getting an engine too hot from a lean mix (or running a hot plug to overcome some rich mix or oil burning problem).

I think Lancer's advice on selecting a main jet is very good. Keep putting bigger ones in until the engine bogs at top end from too much fuel, then step back down one jet size. That should leave you at max power, with little risk of damage from a lean condition. That should be a very good mix with minimum tinkering. Unless you are going racing and need extreme fine tuning; then be prepared to spend big bucks.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #10 - 07/14/07 at 11:12:13

I am with Rocking-John. It's better to be on the rich side. It cooles valves and keeps Pistons from melting. On airplanes I can get the EGT (exhaust gas temperature) to peak 1650 degrees but it can wreck a motor in a hurry so I have run for thousands of hours without any problem about a 100 degree rich of peak. (Gami Fuel injectors excluded for you pilot guys). The early bikes had 155 main jets, the new ones 145 for emmisions (Ca 125) so I'm running 152.5 with half needle spacer and no big popping anymore. Stock muffler (still). Gas mileage went down 3 -4 mpg but that's a small price to pay. Smiley Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/14/07 at 15:31:54

Well,, the MPG & soot says rich. The plug doesnt just scream rich, but its sooty on the perimeter & the ceramic is not white for sure. I will go stick a new plug in it on the side of the road & give it a run & chop the thing off & see what the plug looks like. If its white, Ill go up, if tan, Ill hold, if dark, Ill drop one more.
Sound like a plan?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:25:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb question and misc stuff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.