Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A bigger tank? (Read 8 times)
Tekumseh
Ex Member

A bigger tank?
07/12/07 at 07:05:15

Has anyone on this forum replaced the tank with a bigger one?
If you have, could you please share pictures/photos of it?

The tank takes about 10,5 litres of gas, which takes me 200 kilometres before I have to refuel...

I'd like a tank that takes at least a gallon more...

Any ideas?

IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Re: A bigger tank?
Reply #1 - 07/12/07 at 09:12:21

There are no aftermarket tanks to replace the current tank that I know of.  You could however add on a tour tank to the back of your bike (behind the sissy bar) and get more gallons that way.

Tour Tank

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #2 - 07/12/07 at 11:47:36

Rockin_John is working on mounting a GX250 14 liter tank, we are all waiting to see how it comes out. It does involve moving the speedometer.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Oops
yes it was  GZ250 tank, sorry, senior moment.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 07/12/07 at 12:03:21

I thought he had a GZ250 tank  ???

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 07/14/07 at 01:37:32

Ayup, I did buy a gz250 tank on the chance that it might be an easy refit to the Savage. And while it does at least have a good general shape to the bottom; by matching the split in the frame backbone somewhat; the positioning of the rubber mounts on the frame is WAY off target for the location of the corresponding mounts on the tank. So... At the very least several things will have to be changed to make a fit.

(1) The rubber mounts will have to be relocated on the frame, along with several electrical components I suspect.

(2) The rear mounting brackets on the tank need moved closer together to mate with the originals on the Savage frame.

(3) The Speedometer will have to be moved to the bars.

Some of this I anticipated, as #3 was obvious. But I was hoping to luck out on some of the other mounting hassles, but it was not to be. It isn't going to be an easy fit, and while I do still hope to use the tank on a Savage at some point, I have yet to decide exactly which bike to fit it to.

For the amount of work required to fit the GZ250 tank, it would only take slightly more work to have a 4.5 - 5 gallon tank, instead of one that isn't even a full gallon larger than the stock tank.

As far as waiting on me to pave the way for an easy solution to the problem of the Savage's tiny tank... Don't hold your breath! Grin

IP Logged
Tekumseh
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/14/07 at 04:00:06

OK, I'm still breathing....
I'm not a mechanic, and I'm probably the worst man ever to weld, so it looks like I'll have to keep my old tank.
But get out more pictures when it's done, maybe I know a few guys that can help me out with this...

Thanks for the tip anyway.

A bigger tank will probably give thwe Savge a better lokk too?
I just saw a Sportster with a larger tank (a Fatboy I guess), and that made the Sportster look kinda cool.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 07/16/07 at 08:30:23

There's a thread or three about my five gallon Harley tank conversion for my 2k Savage. It's not difficult really. A grinder instead of a hack saw is nice, but you don't have to do much with it anyway. And to my eye the bigger tank does make the bike look more "grown-up". No welding involved, just some re-routing and lengthening of a few electrical wires and do-dads under the tank. See what you think.

And as a bonus you get to see the hitch I had custom made for the Thunder Bee as well.

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Jack

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 07/16/07 at 08:51:23

Holy crap, that's a big tank.  And on top of that you have what looks like an aux tank in the rear??  How far does all that take you?  Which Harley tank is it?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 07/16/07 at 12:02:01

Jack_650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
There's a thread or three about my five gallon Harley tank conversion for my 2k Savage. It's not difficult really. A grinder instead of a hack saw is nice, but you don't have to do much with it anyway. And to my eye the bigger tank does make the bike look more "grown-up". No welding involved, just some re-routing and lengthening of a few electrical wires and do-dads under the tank. See what you think.

And as a bonus you get to see the hitch I had custom made for the Thunder Bee as well.

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Jack

The guy at work I was going to get the sportster tank from finally found it at a neighbor's house, small/big problem though. The neighbor had left it outside for over a year without a gas cap and now there is a half dollar sized rust hole in it. So I won't be getting it after all.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 07/16/07 at 14:06:33

The front tank is off of a 2k softail Harley and the aux tank is a four gallon tank from:
http://www.tourtank.com/

You need to fill the aux tank to about an inch or so down from the top to allow for expansion and even lower for the front tank. All fueled up I can get a realistic seven gallons between them both on a hot, sunny day. 350-400 miles a fill-up isn't too bad though. I now get to shop for the better prices on trips.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:34:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A bigger tank?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.