T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Oil Pump question
07/11/07 at 14:27:32

Just picked up a 2001 LS650.  It was a Ebay rolling frame and the seller threw in the dead engine.  The Frame is almost showroom condition. Well, the engine isn't showroom ......

The problem w/engine was a melted piston.  I saw a picture somewhere here of almost exactly what mine looks like.  

So, here's the question for the forum:  Do you think the oil pump should be replaced while I have the engine apart????  Do they go bad???  Does anyone make a replacement with a little more pressure??  Maybe 10-20 psi verse the 7-10 psi the service manual calls for.

Thanks in advance for any advice.......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Oil Pump question
Reply #1 - 07/12/07 at 07:02:52

I'd love to find a stronger oil pump, but alas, no time and I doubt one exists anyway...

a new one is about $90... you may just disassemble yours and see if there's any garbage in there and check to see if it's in good shape.  if you're throwing lots of money at a total rebuild, another 90 might not hurt...

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 07/12/07 at 12:39:27

VROOM1776,
   Thanks.  I was debating buying one or not.  I was leaning torwards just doing it.

T-Mack1

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 07/12/07 at 12:54:15

can't hurt anything but your wallet!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 07/24/07 at 13:28:48

Update,
  Got some advice from the salvage yard owner when I picked up a replacement head (old one had a bad cam journal).  He said pump most likely is ok.  He said the problem the Savages have is the passageways.  Not enough oil pressure to push thru.  He's the son of the founder of the yard (motorcycles only) and has been around bikes all his forty some years.   I've been told by my good friend who grew up with him to trust what he says.   Any thoughts from the forum???

I'm still in the process of cleaning. Passage ways look fairly nice but I will say the residual oil in the pump was black.    I did get the oil pump apart.  The little phillips screw came out easily, even through the service manual says it's glue in.  Pump look very nice.  Does anyone know the spec for clearances??  I did a quick look in the service manual but didn't see any.  Will look again tonight after reading some Harry Potter to my son.

Also, plan to replace the cam chian since engine is taken apart.  Old chian is at ~127 @ 10460 miles.  Does anyone know what a new chain measures????  If not, I'll post when I get the new one.

Next question, and it may sound odd.  For the cylinder, once we cleaned off the embedded melted aluminum with a solid machinist hone and before we honded out the scrathces, the cylinder measure a tiny bit under the factory spec.  So..., do you think the melted psiton could be from a overheated piston that grew in a cylinder that was on the small side of the spec???  I think the black oil didn't help either.

After honing out the scratches, looks like we are just over the std piston spec.   A 0.5mm O.S. piston is on order.

T-Mack1

---
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/24/07 at 13:59:02

127mm or 5" ctc is stock, besure to apply a little weight to stretch it a bit.

The passage ways may be either too small or large for the pressure the oil pump can produce.  Several factors to consider, we have a tall cylinder,  the larger the passageway the more oil weight (head) the pump has to push up.  Too narrow and the velocity of the oil increases causing more friction causing the pressure to go up.  And the oil pump does not produce a lot of pressure, but that's ok as long as the volume is there for cooling.

On a gear pump, the clearances to be concerned with (if I remember correctly) are the end (gear to housing) clearances.  Gear to gear clearances aren't as important as long as one gear drives the other they will maintain contact.  But end clearance will allow the oil go back thru the pump.  If you can't find anything, look at a old vdub manual.

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 07/24/07 at 14:46:10

Your yard guy is right,  the passageway is the problem.
An (internaly) leaking clutchcover gasket cold be the problem.
The crankshaft gets its oil from a long way:
oilpump, then trough the clutch-cover to the filter. Then the oil goes 2 ways: one to the crankshaft, there is a oilseal in wich the crankshaft turns, the other flow goes up to the passage on top of the clutch cover. on the back is a little oiljet to build-up pressure for the head.
You see, there's lots of places where the inexperience mechanic can make a mistake.
Have fun rebuilding your engine, I'm doing the same at the moment with my spare engine.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 07/24/07 at 20:12:35

Thanks for the replies.   Looked thru the manual again and no oil pump spec's.  Had the same thought as you, look up some other vehicle's spec.  Looked in a real old Chevy book but is was more of a general tune-up book.  Went over to the other pile of books and found my old Honda 250 Rebel book, Yea, a metric bike and an engine that has also been around for 20+ yrs.  And.....the book has oil pump specs.....

Here they are:
Honda Outer rotor ring to Housing (max): 0.25mm / 0.010 in.
My pump= 0.005 in.  

Honda Inner rotor to outer rotor ring (max): 0.2mm / 0.008 in
My pump= 0.003 in

Honda Rotor end to housing (using straight edge) (max): 0.12mm / 0.0048 in

This one is hard to measure.  The design of the pump has a offset in the cover.  The rotor parts actually stick  up a little when sitting in the housing (took a while to find a small enough straight edge).  So, put the pump back together, bent the feeler gauges (darn, got to get yet another set....again, my son's Honda '73 SL70 valve clearances bent the last set.) then I measured the gap between the cover and the rotors thru the output opening.
My pump= 0.004 in.

So,  does anyone have experience on the differences bewteen Honda and Suzuki spec's?  Which are normally tighter???

---
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:26:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Pump question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.