Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cylinder scratches?? (Read 9 times)
Richard_M
YaBB Newbies

Spring Hill, FL
Cylinder scratches??
07/10/07 at 15:22:29

So, I've been dealing with an issue with my wife's bike. (See http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...). I took the cylinder to a local bike shop to have the mechanic take a look at it, and he says "the nikasil is all scratched and it's way out of round, you'll have to have it overhauled, or buy a new cylinder". Great, just what I wanted. But here is my question; Is the cylinder on a 2001 Savage a Nikasil cylinder or not? I can't find any information on here doing a search. I'm sure that someone knows how I can fix this thing...

Thanks,
Richard

Singles are second only to Opposed Twins
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Cylinder scratches??
Reply #1 - 07/10/07 at 15:53:29

sounds like the mech. is full of it, or a PO already pulled it and had it rebored & gave it the nickasil treatment.

depending on how out of round it is, you may be able to get away with oversized rings.  Don't think I'd try that myself.

what is the measured bore?  stock = 94 mm.  fsm should give  piston diameters.

overside psitons are availabel up to 3 mm overbore. look up the "piston group buy" thread.  it's been going nowhere for a while... I may be able to jump back in soon...

IP Logged
Richard_M
YaBB Newbies

Spring Hill, FL
Reply #2 - 07/10/07 at 17:26:27

Do the cylinders come stock with a steel liner in them? A magnet sticks right to it. If so, can't I just have it machined up to 95 or 96mm and put an oversized piston in it?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 07/10/07 at 17:44:28

Richard_M wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Do the cylinders come stock with a steel liner in them? A magnet sticks right to it. If so, can't I just have it machined up to 95 or 96mm and put an oversized piston in it?

YEP.  

The nikasil is a coating applied to aluminum cylinders if I am remembering correctly.  The Savage has a liner and can be bored.  Get a second opinion at a machine shop that does boring, valve jobs, etc.  Getting a cylinder bored is fairly cheap.  I had mine done at "Boretech", the bore and a silicone carbide cylinder treatment, which is simlilar to the nikasil but is for the steel lined cylinders.

http://www.bore-tech.com/

BORE TECH has developed the only permanent surface enhancement process for motorcycles and small engine cylinders for longevity and power robbing friction reduction.  There is no spray coating or plating for cast iron liners that compares to the performance of CARBIDE BORE PROCESS cylinders.

The CARBIDE BORE PROCESS combines the best features of ceramics and cast iron cylinder bores.  This evolutionary process of impregnating diamond-hard silicon carbide particles into the cylinder wall is truly a technical advance directed at the problem of bore surface wear.   The advantages of the process are compelling

Immediate break-in
  Improved ring seal
  Superior oil retention
  Less friction provides lower temperatures
  Leaner fuel mixtures possible
  Excellent wear characteristics
  Anti-siezure properties

This technique is not a coating that builds up or is a layer on top of the base metal, thus cannot be used to restore worn bores back to size.  Imbedding the carbide particles into a straight, round bore locks the ceramics into the pores of the base metal in a manner that prohibits the particles from dislodging.  A "Plateau" finish bearing curve provides good oil retention sites with optimum surface for ring sealing.

PRICE LIST
Prices Per Cylinder Price
Carbide Bore Process $115.00
Cylinder Boring and Honing $  60.00
Cylinder Honing Only $  24.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cylinder Resleeving (plus sleeve cost)  
Most 2-Cycle without Power Valve $165.00
Most 2-Cycle with Power Valve $175.00
Most 4-Cycle drop-in $  98.00
Most 4-Cycle where the cylinder must be bored for larger sleeve $125.00

Harley Davidson  
Bore & Hone EVO with torque plates $  75.00
Bore & Hone Shovelhead / Panhead $  60.00
Hone Only EVO with torque plates $  36.00
Hone Only Shovelhead / Panhead $  24.00

Cylinder Replating (starting at) $205.00

IP Logged
Richard_M
YaBB Newbies

Spring Hill, FL
Reply #4 - 07/10/07 at 17:57:10

So, if I were to measure it again, and it is fairly round, I could just hone it and put in the right size piston?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 07/10/07 at 18:01:43

Richard_M wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
So, if I were to measure it again, and it is fairly round, I could just hone it and put in the right size piston?

I think so, but I would stop by a machine shop and ask just to be sure.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:24:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder scratches??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.