Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Optimum gas saving speed. (Read 8 times)
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Optimum gas saving speed.
07/10/07 at 12:35:42

I was out in the boonies yesterday and had to switch to reserve. Made it to town easily enough, but I was wondering: If it looks like it's going to be uncertain to the next gas-up, has anyone figured out at what speed would be best to eke out every last mile from the gas remaining?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Optimum gas saving speed.
Reply #1 - 07/10/07 at 13:14:04

The optimum speed is 70mph 10 feet behind a semi going same.  (rocking_john?)   Grin

Or any speed directly in front of said semi with engine off.  but it's hard on tires, just ask the handicap kid you got his wheelchair jammed in the grill of a semi.  5 miles later he needed new front tires!   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 07/10/07 at 13:33:48

Back in the early '80's I rode my GS450E from L.A. to Seatle and back.  Blasted up I-5 the first day to get north of 'Frisco -- at 85 mph+ you don't think mileage. From the Wine Country to Seatle and back down to Ventura I stayed on 2-lane roads, stayed mostly 45-50 mph, and got about 80 mpg.

Given that you use power to overcome wind resistance I would guess that your best MPG would be at the lowest speed you are comfortable at in top gear -- about 35 mph for the Savage.  I woudl test this, but here in LaLaLand there is no place I can travel any reasonable distance at a steady 35.

WWW   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #3 - 07/10/07 at 13:48:07

Hey Verslagen, if all those 18 wheelers were around I wouldn't be in the boonies.  Grin

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #4 - 07/10/07 at 17:55:55

My guess would be 40-50 mph in 5th, and carry one of these, 11 oz.  Good for 4 or 5 miles more.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #5 - 07/10/07 at 19:00:27

SmileyI seem to get my best milage between 50-55, (61-63 MPG)with maybe 1 or 2 MPG less at around 60-65.  I guess it all depends on whether you are staying steady on the throttle or not.  On a straight 75 mile run at 60-65 I have got as high as 60 MPG.  On the same run at speeds varying from 50-65 I have seen it drop to around 58 MPG.  strange, but true.  There are so many factors involved in the milage that can make a difference.  The best I have got was when the temp was between 60-70 degrees.  Test it for your self under different conditions, and see what your best is.  The worse I have got was around 53 MPG, and that was between 70-75.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:33:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Optimum gas saving speed.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.