Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gear shift rod shaking and loud banging?? (Read 5 times)
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Gear shift rod shaking and loud banging??
07/10/07 at 08:57:51

I had not used my savage in a while, and yesterday I started if and a horrible sound was coming out of the gear box, and my gear shift pedal was shaking as if it was going to come flying off!! Did I break something? The bike started, but now when I start it, it sounds like there is something getting chewed up inside the starter clutch or something like that..and there is a very lound clanking noise. Once the Bike is started, it sounds fine, and runs fine. HELP!!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Gear shift rod shaking and loud banging??
Reply #1 - 07/11/07 at 20:14:24

I would think this is bad news - but not impossible to fix maybe - seems some the first generation 86-87 had a problem with the case around the gears - sounds like you need to pull that cover and have a look - might could just pull the starter to eyeball the situation

IP Logged
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/06/07 at 08:53:12

It don't look good...
I cracked open the case, I noticed right away the the starter idle gear pin was broken, which meant the gear was skipping and hopping and chewing the heck out of starter clutch gear. Went to the Suzuki dealer, got a new pin, and gasket, changed the pin and the bike started fine. I went for a 3 hour rides and when I turned off the bike I heard a horrible noise, i cracked open the case again, and to my disgust, I noticed the hole where the idle pin fits into had broked apart and the actual engine case has a crack in it..what the heck do I do now??????

Click image for full version.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 08/06/07 at 09:52:08

That's some tough luck! Sorry, but any answer I can give is going to be $$$...

The cheapest fix I can think of to *try* and fix it in place: would be to take a short piece of round aluminum billet and TIG weld the case; then the billet to the place where the hole USED to be. Having measured EXACTLY where the hole was beforehand: drill a new hole in the new material. Oh, and replace any parts that show damage from the loose parts grinding around in there. Now, if you measured very accurately; and drilled very straight; and said your prayers just right, it *might* hold up for a long time.

The other fixes are:
(1) Do the same thing with the engine out, and the cases split, so that the job can be done more accurately.
(2) Buy a new left half crankcase for (I own an 87 too... I'm afraid to look) maybe $400? If you can get one.
(3) Start watching for a late model engine to make ready for install (you'll need the electronics for it too).
(4) Part the bike out or sell it whole to someone and let them deal with it.

Sorry...

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 08/06/07 at 10:27:19

Ooohhhhh  that is a big ouch.

But,  I know where there is a salvage yard that has a '86 or '88 lower end.  Actually, I got the head assembly, the rest was there two weeks ago.  

It's located in eastren PA, USA,  just south of Allentown, Pa.

Do you want contact info???

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/06/07 at 11:11:53

Pennsylvania is a bit far from Montreal, but I'll check and see what Brown can do for me. If you got the contact info T_Mack 1, I'll gladly take it.

Does anyone know if I can use JB Weld to fill in the hole and crack?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/06/07 at 11:27:09

I doubt that it is as strong through.

But I you can wrap the boss with wire, maybe.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 08/06/07 at 19:16:16

Ten Pins 99CA,
  Check out Ebay item 300139344778.   May be well worth the $99 "Buy-it-now" if the person will ship to Canada.

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 08/06/07 at 20:47:02

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Ten Pins 99CA,
  Check out Ebay item 300139344778.   May be well worth the $99 "Buy-it-now" if the person will ship to Canada.

Ten Pins,

If it were me, I'd be on that eBay deal like stupid on an Adam Sandler movie! Wink

Adding: Providing you are up to the job, or willing to pay some SERIOUS labor charges to get the job done.

IP Logged
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/07/07 at 06:02:39

That e-bay item looks like a keeper, however I have never done that big of a job on the bike before...I am willing to try however. I'll contact the seller. Maybe I should invest in a Shop Manual..

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 08/07/07 at 08:45:51

It's not a complicated engine.  I just rebuilt one that I bought in pieces.  What fun trying to figure out where everything went.   The OEM parts finder tool a lot of the dealers have now is handy for seeing where everything goes.

Factory Service manual is a must.  You could get it on CD but having paper is always handy.   As for tools for the rebuilt, you will need a Flywheel puller which is a special tool (maybe borrow one??)  Also should have (or borrow) a torque wrench for re-assembly.  A 36mm and a 32 mm socket (can't remember where I used the 36mm but I did).  Also the std array of metric sockets & wrenches.  I found the 17mm, 14mm, 12mm, 10mm and 8mm sizes were used the most.  

---
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #11 - 08/07/07 at 11:14:15

Might search for another Canadian goes by Polar Pilot. Seems like he put a 5 speed engine in 4 speed frame as the 4 speed was run low on oil, that should not have hurt the parts you did. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/14/07 at 07:15:06

So I made a max bid of 20$ for the engine casings on e-bay (item 300139344778), the staring bid was 0.99$, I was the only bidder, so I won 2 engine casings for a whopping 0.99$, HA! Thanks for the heads-up T-Mack1. 2 engine casings for 1$, too funny..So now I have engine casings to change..I'll keep you posted.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 08/14/07 at 09:42:36

Your Welcome.  

Have you decided to do the rebuild yourself or to get someone to do it???

T-Mack1

---
  IP Logged
tenpins99ca
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/15/07 at 05:48:16

I am going to do it myself. I bought the Clymer, and a torque wrench, now I have to figure out how to get the clutch assembly off!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:30:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gear shift rod shaking and loud banging??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.