Send Topic Print
Am I crazy? (Read 9 times)
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Am I crazy?
07/09/07 at 20:32:47

Ok, so for those who don't know, my top end went kaput.  So here's the crazy.  I welded the broken cam back together and added some material to the lobes and reground them.  Now I just gotta set up an old grinder motor as a lathe and polish up the bearings and lobes.  I figure I'll get a few hundred miles out of 'er goin' like crazy with a high lift and reasonable duration.  Since I've got another bike now Suzi's gonna be a NASTY chopper/rat rod anyway, am I crazy to try to rework the cam myself?  I know the reliability won't be there but do ya'll think it will just come apart right away?  I wonder what web does to "hard weld" the lobes..  hmmm...

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Yoda says:
Reply #1 - 07/09/07 at 21:22:17

There is no Try.  There is DO, or Do Not.

You learn by destroying.   My title under my handle on the Teleco forun is "Destroyer of Equipment."  My personal best was disrupting all military communications between Europe and the Near East for four minutes.  Another person on this forum is known as Wonton Destruction.  Your cam re-work will function, or not.  Either way you learn.  Learning is never crazy.

WWW   IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Re: Am I crazy?
Reply #2 - 07/09/07 at 22:25:15

Absolutely right!  For a moment I almost forgot that I don't try anything!  This could end up fun though, will home modifying a cam work?  We will find out.  I'll jbweld up the gouges in the head and see what happends!  

P.S.  I have no idea AT ALL what I'm doing, even as far as measuring what lift and duration i come up with!  (well, i could maybe measure lift... Should i go for a bit more overlap too?  no, no, I just want really insane low end, pull your arms out insane) So as i update this, remember, NO ONE TRY ANY OF THIS.  It will most likely destroy your motor.  If you really need more power get a carb and cam from Lancer, they're great products. Hmm, if I can find a cheap high pressure bottle somewhere i'll throw nitrous on it too, why the heck not, worst case i'll end up resleeving and buying another head!

Maybe I should have titled this post "the best way to break a savage", or "beating a dead horse for ponie"s?

on your ls650
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/09/07 at 23:11:18

No guts, no glory!
 At the least, you will a tale to tell.  I await updates!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Yoda says:
Reply #4 - 07/10/07 at 01:41:31

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
There is no Try.  There is DO, or Do Not.

You learn by destroying.   My title under my handle on the Teleco forun is "Destroyer of Equipment."  My personal best was disrupting all military communications between Europe and the Near East for four minutes.  Another person on this forum is known as Wonton Destruction.  Your cam re-work will function, or not.  Either way you learn.  Learning is never crazy.

Having worked as an Engineering Tech in some heavy manufacturing over the years; besides getting to prototype lots of new designs, I was also happily assigned the duty of "destructive testing" of some large equipment. What is it that is so fun about tearing stuff up??? Wait... I know what it was... it was because I wasn't paying for it!!! Grin

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 07/10/07 at 02:10:19

LesGolden wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Ok, so for those who don't know, my top end went kaput.  So here's the crazy.  I welded the broken cam back together and added some material to the lobes and reground them.  Now I just gotta set up an old grinder motor as a lathe and polish up the bearings and lobes.  I figure I'll get a few hundred miles out of 'er goin' like crazy with a high lift and reasonable duration.  Since I've got another bike now Suzi's gonna be a NASTY chopper/rat rod anyway, am I crazy to try to rework the cam myself?  I know the reliability won't be there but do ya'll think it will just come apart right away?  I wonder what web does to "hard weld" the lobes..  hmmm...

Les... If I might ask, with what equipment and material did you weld the cam back together? Even a simple stick weld with a good hot low hydrogen rod like a 7018 can yield a metal with some serious hardness. I've been admiring some TIG and Plasma equipment ever since having my welder neighbor do some exhaust work for me with his fancy gear. That stuff has come a long way since I worked a weld shop.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 07/10/07 at 08:09:48

no.  go for it.  all out.  

let us know how much torque at the rear wheel it will take to stretch a new cam chain past spec instantly  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #7 - 07/10/07 at 21:38:34

35$ dyno runs on the 15!  I may actually be able to give you that info vroom!!!  I'm sure something will be out of spec anyway...

on your ls650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:38:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Am I crazy?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.