Send Topic Print
Oil over-filled... (Read 9 times)
jpsagaser
YaBB Newbies

San Diego, CA
Oil over-filled...
07/07/07 at 21:57:29

Hi everyone...

I just bought a '98 Savage last week from a dealer.  I rode it for about a three or four days when I started getting sprayed with hot oil on my ankles.  (Yeah, I had to wear sneakers one day to work.)  I decided to check the oil level that night when I got home (had been told by the dealer that an "extensive" 14-point check had been done...) and, after consulting my manual, realized that the level was too high.  Well, I decided to drain some oil out...and found that there was not quite a quart of excess oil in the bike.

So...my question: how harmful was this?  And, could I have done any damage (save my ankles) to the engine with this much oil in there?  I put (maybe) 100 miles on the bike before noticing the high level.

Thanks,
Sags

To Live is to Fly ~ TVZ
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Oil over-filled...
Reply #1 - 07/08/07 at 08:58:08

doubt that it hurt anything - another fine bit of dealer work maybe - need to be real sure it's not the petc0ck that has failed it can fillup the crankcase with fuel - if the oil you drained doesn't smell strong of gas and after you get the proper amount - just check the oil level each morning - the level should not be going up - likely they filled it with oil on the side stand instead with the bike level.  

be sure to drain the air box after all of this and check the air filter for oil soaked

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 07/08/07 at 19:12:45

I've had this problem a few times with brand new bikes.  

It is wise to check the oil level right away when you get a new (or just new to you) bike home.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 07/09/07 at 05:16:50

I would bring it right back to the dealership.

1987 Savage 100% stock and happy with that, owned it since it was BRAND NEW!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 07/09/07 at 08:27:54

bduff wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I would bring it right back to the dealership.

I agree.  Take it back to them, tell them about the excess oil and the soaking your pants/shoes took because of it, and tell them to do their 14 point check all over again ... and this time have someone who knows what they are doing to perform the check.

You should also ask for a free oil change/checkup for next time (couple of months/or 2k miles) to make up for  their slopy work last time.

Reimbursement for the oil soaked pants and shoes would not be out of the question either.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:38:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil over-filled...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.