Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
If this engines a knockin'......where to start? (Read 3 times)
Pump_Jockey
YaBB Newbies

My Dad's got an
awesome set of
tools!

If this engines a knockin'......where to start?
07/08/07 at 18:04:11

Hey, a newbie that just got a '98 with 4,900 mi.  I've got a pretty severe knock at all rpm's (not so much at idle) and worse under load (riding).  Thinking initally of spark or pre ignition.  Digging deeper I've got some glitter in the oil filter housing.  It seems to me that it's internal mechanical.  Any common issues?  Do I pop the top or does it seem like more big end?
Any insight?  I really like this bike and am willing to put some blood, sweat, and beers into it!

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: If this engines a knockin'......where to start
Reply #1 - 07/08/07 at 21:05:16

Seems like low mileage for the cam chain/tensioner issue, so I'd start by removing the head cover and check the cam and lifters area. You can also try lifting the cam chain off the gear and get an idea if that is the problem, but mine didn't have any metal particles in the oil. Lower end has not been a concern in my recollection of this and the German forum that proceeded it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 07/09/07 at 08:48:53

Of course, if the odometer reading is not correct on that 98, the cam chain could still be an issue.  If that's the case, it'd be coming from the right side and a $2 mechanic's stethoscope from Harbor Freight would help isolate it.  In my opinion, it would be worth the price of a new gasket to pull the right side cover and peek at the cam chain, tensioner, and adjuster.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pump_Jockey
YaBB Newbies

My Dad's got an
awesome set of
tools!

Reply #3 - 07/09/07 at 15:55:57

Do you think the knock is possibly from the cam chain itself or the timing being out of whack because of the cam chain?
Thank for the advice!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/09/07 at 17:49:37

If it were out of time, the piston can whack the valves.

I'd have a look if you can't determine what else it might be.  At worst it's $10 for a gasket versus searching for a new engine.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:30:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › If this engines a knockin'......where to start?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.