Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strange noises on decceleration (Read 6 times)
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Strange noises on decceleration
07/07/07 at 21:07:30

I just bought 96, runs good, shifts easily but ...
whenever I let off the throttle, there are a bunch of weird noises coming from the engine or tranny, like a rubbing sound, give it a little gas and the noise goes away. Any ideas???
Help??

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Strange noises on decceleration
Reply #1 - 07/07/07 at 21:59:14

Take the clutch cover off, it's easy to do.  Be careful and you can reuse the gasket, just add a little sealer.
Once there you can check the cam chain.  I don't know how it would act between accel and decel but if it's the tensioner then the valves can get out of time with piston and bad news.
If you don't find anything there, try the other side.
Then the head cover.
Last thing you want to happen is something grinding it way thru the covers.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 07/08/07 at 05:36:48

The time I had such when dec or just pull in the clutch and roll along - it was the drive pulley wasn't tight - had maybe 5lbs on the nut, should be >50lbs

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #3 - 07/08/07 at 06:34:45

Drive pulley? Do you mean the front belt pulley?
Thanks

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 07/08/07 at 07:05:40

Yes - there's been a couple others around here that found very little torque on the retaining nut - in the case for the '95 it was lose enough to knock around and wear the teeth out on the inside of the front pulley - they should be flat to fit the splined output shaft properly - they'll wear to a sharp point if the nut is not tight enough - what is tight enough might be the question - book says 80-90 ft/lbs best I remember - very hard to do with hand tools - ~50lbs seems to have held well.  

Makes a really strange knocking around buzzing sound when you let off the throttle if this is the problem.

Here's the old post on what I mean -

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #5 - 07/08/07 at 08:09:34

I think the noise you describe is what I have. Thank you for your help and prompt reply. I will be pulling off the cover tonight (too hot outside now) and take a look see.
Again
Thank you very much
Ike

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #6 - 07/08/07 at 19:47:32

Ok, removed the front pulley cover and everything is super tight and clean, no metal shavings, oil or built up dirt.
What next to find this noise?
Thanks again

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 07/08/07 at 20:10:58

Next I think I'd take for spin get it to speed this happens, get to neutral or pull the clutch and kill the engine - you still have the rubbing/strange noise?

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #8 - 07/08/07 at 22:37:50

Ok, I will try that tomorrow.
I did manage to rip off the stock muffler (it was oh so ugly) and install a dyna, looks great and sounds MUCH better. Well, sitting still anyway. Will update you tomorrow after the test ride.
Thank you again
Ike

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #9 - 07/09/07 at 14:57:38

hey verslagen1,
It is more of a rubbing sound, no grinding. Any ideas?
Thanks
Ike

IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #10 - 07/09/07 at 19:20:48

Try pushing the bike while engine is not running, if the rubbing sound is still there it may be the spacers for the front pulley cover. They are all different sizes as are the bolts and if they are not in the correct spots the pulley will rub on the cover. The longest bolt/spacer goes in the hole on the right, the shortest bolt/spacer in bottom left, and the middle size bolt/spacer in top left. May only be on deccel because that's the only time the exhaust is quiet enough to here it. The same happened to me right after I polished the pulley cover and this is what it turned out to be.

Hope this helps,
JakeB

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:14:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Strange noises on decceleration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.