Send Topic Print
 600 miles (Read 5 times)
Rich_G
YaBB Newbies

WPA
 600 miles
07/07/07 at 14:35:41

My Friends,

Just wanted to share that my S40 and I hit (no pun intended) the 600 mile mark yesterday afternoon (Friday).  Taking it in for the routine service next Saturday.  What a "Great Bike", and each time I ride it, I know I made the right decision.  I picked up the S40 new on 8.May after a short 25 year hiatus of not riding.  Took the MSF course last Fall, and decided on the S40 after looking at a lot of "Entry Level" bikes.  Quite frankly, I can't imagine ever trading her in.  The bike does everything I need and really fits me well (I'm 5'-10" & 145 lbs.).  It's fun looking at all the new hardware in the magazines, etc. but me and my S40 will be partners for a long time (God Willing).  By the way just cause I hit 600 miles, I know better at my age not to be complacent.  I practice the slow maneuvers religiously, and wear all the protective gear (no matter how hot it gets here in WPA).  Anyway just wanted to share how much I like that bike with a group of people that already "Know the Feeling".  Thank you. ............... Rich

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re:   600 miles
Reply #1 - 07/07/07 at 16:06:01

Congrats on your "milestone."

Have you considered doing your own maintenance. If you are concerned that you won't be able to do as good a job as the dealership will do, you might want to consider who does the work at most dealerships. It's often people with no experience, especially for routine maintenance. One of the main reasons I selected the Savage for my first MC was ease of maintenance, and simplicity.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re:   600 miles
Reply #2 - 07/09/07 at 06:32:08

Congratulations and welcome.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 07/09/07 at 10:41:55

Prophet_10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I am also approaching my first service, (S40 with 475 miles)

I would like to do my own maintenance;  Can you elaborate on everything that should be done during this first service.

Look in your owner's manual under "maintenance schedule".  It'll outline what is supposed to be done at each interval.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #4 - 07/09/07 at 14:25:05

Same here -- crossed the magic 600 mile (1000 km) mark on Sunday's club ride.  Nothing but good to report.  I put the Superbrace on before the ride and the occasional front end wobble in hard cornering has disappeared.

My wife has her lesson this Saturday, so I'll be taking it in afterwards.

Sunday we took an 80 mile breakfast run on the back roads.  The most direct way home was the slab, but I had more fun finding a different way back.  Since the bike has passed the 600 mile mark I did open her up on the expressway for a couple of exits -- handled 70+ mph very well. Still, it would be a bit buzzy for a longer ride!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #5 - 07/10/07 at 06:21:57

I let the dealer do the first maintinace and checked everything they were to do.  Since then I do my own.  The dealer did have a very good machanic.  If you take it to the dealer, double check the oil level when you pick it up!!!!

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 07/10/07 at 07:42:14

Baldeagle wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I let the dealer do the first maintinace and checked everything they were to do.  Since then I do my own.  The dealer did have a very good machanic.  If you take it to the dealer, double check the oil level when you pick it up!!!!

With the bike balanced upright - not on the sidestand.

PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #7 - 07/10/07 at 14:05:59

It would seem like a good thing to have the dealer do the first service if for no other reason than for warranty records.

IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #8 - 07/10/07 at 14:10:54

thats what I did, dealer first maintance, at about 650, then I did the 2nd at 2500 miles, changed the oil and filter in a few minutes.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #9 - 07/10/07 at 17:38:06

When I got this bike new last month the rear wheel was crooked, the battery only had one cell with water above the plate, tirepressure way low. I would not trust them with my bike No Way!! Besides I like doing everything on my machines myself, Always did. So I did my 600 miler last sunday. Took my time (5 hours) but it was fun knowing the head bolts were torqued right, the vales set correctly (set them at .004) and all those bolts on the cyl-head cover done right ( kept them on a card board copy of head to keep order correct). My cyl-head cover had plain black high-temp silicone sealer on it, so I used a superthin layer of the same on assembly. The new type rubber coated metal plug has bulged rubber so it fitted tight without using sealer. Set decomp at 4mm. Raised needle 1/2 (0.05") put in 152.5 jet, replaced soft carberator screws with good ones and adjusted idle mix and speed. NO more popping. Ssswwweeeeetttt. Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #10 - 07/10/07 at 17:58:44

Sounds like you had a "great" dealer! I trust the dealership I purchased my bike from. They have been good to work with and took care of even a "little" cosmetic issue without hassle on the bike before delivery.

IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #11 - 07/10/07 at 19:31:46

Hi all,

I`m in the middle of  `1st Service' 600 mile thing myself...I called the dealer here [in RI] and, for 180 bucks, they don`t do the head removal at all anymore, and don`t recommend it either, odd because the Suzi books says to have `em torque all that stuff-but the Clymers recommends you remove the motor, because there is rarely enough clearance...hmmm????...

So, I don`t know.....And I don`t feel like going to deep during riding season...what do you guys think?

Also when I removed the left side head outer cover , that front bolt is captive under the top plate and it wobbles around. I can feel that it has a regular bolt head by wiggling a finger behind the decomp thing...anybody else have a loose bolt there? I think I`m not fathoming it right, maybe...I mean I can get around this but are yours like this front left cover bolt `hula dance'? Wish I had the comp skills to link but it`s #34 on the Ayer`s fische.

I`m going to take my time here cause I wanna do some carb tricks and install the tach while I have the tank, etc off- but I sure would like to get the straight scoop on head removal and that wobbling bolt.

Thanks, and any help would be well appreciated,

Bill

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 07/10/07 at 20:32:47

Bill,

I'm not sure, but that may be the bolt that has the nut on it.  If it is, I'll bet that nut is loose.  The nut is #35 on your referenced fiche.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #13 - 07/11/07 at 09:43:27

That bolt comes (slips) out during headcover removal, it sits in a U shaped cutout and you'll see it's supposed to be loose after nut removal. Also watch for the little seal on the tach drive cable where you disconnect it at the block. It can easely fall out when you remove the tank. Make sure all headbolts go back in the same place since several have a seal on them. DO NOT undo the bolt next (on the inboard side) to the Case vent tube. It has a phillips head cross on top. For torquing in hard to get to places check "cheap torque wrench" in the tech section. Have fun Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #14 - 07/11/07 at 14:23:15

PhotoProf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Sounds like you had a "great" dealer! I trust the dealership I purchased my bike from. They have been good to work with and took care of even a "little" cosmetic issue without hassle on the bike before delivery.

Yes I was not impressed with their "setup" However there are lots of dealers with excellent mechanics and I know some of them. I wanted a white one since I knew that Suzuki was not going to offer that color in '08 and they were the only dealer out of 5 in my area with one. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 03:22:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! ›  600 miles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.