Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LS650 Oil Capacity? (Read 347 times)
mboyd
Ex Member

LS650 Oil Capacity?
07/05/07 at 13:22:19

Hello All,
  From what I read in the manual, the LS650 should hold 2.5 quarts of oil with a filter change, but I notice when I change my oil and filter - if I add 2.5 quarts it appears to be above the "full" indicator window.  Does anyone know if there is a little room for error as far as oil capacity goes?
Thanks,
MB

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: LS650 Oil Capacity?
Reply #1 - 07/05/07 at 13:38:40

ive noticed it takes some time and rocking the bike back and forth to get all the old oil out..my last change took just lil over 2 qts...dont know why one would change oil and not the filter since they cost only a few $$

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #2 - 07/05/07 at 16:11:36

2.5 qrts is only if the engine has been rebuilt.  The correct amount with a new filter is 2.1 quarts.  I use Spectro 4 Golden 4 synthetic oil for motorcycles which comes in 1 liter (1.056 qts) sizes.  I put two liters in, check it and go.  With no filter change just add 1.8 qts.

RIDE SAFE!!!

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/05/07 at 17:59:06

My last oil/filter change was about 2 1/2 qts.

2 qts left it alittle below the bottom mark.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #4 - 07/05/07 at 18:03:04

Just did mine '07 . Took 2.1 qts with filter change. Maybe the earlier bikes are slightly different just like the tire pressure recommendation. Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 07/05/07 at 18:38:39

Same here:  a little more than two quarts.  Of course, I do rock it side to side several times to get more of the old oil out.  Also, after filling it to mid-sight level, I run it a few minutes, let it settle and check it again.  It usually needs just a touch more at that point.  Did mine yesterday when I changed the clutch springs and installed the modded cam chain tensioner adjuster.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #6 - 07/05/07 at 18:43:18

If I let it sit on the side stand and drip for an hour, more comes out. Also if the rear end is higher, more oil in the trans section moves to the front and out the drain.

CAUTION
If you park pointing slightly downhill, be sure you are in 1st gear, you don't want it to roll forward off the kickstand. (awful voice of experience)

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 07/05/07 at 20:18:47

I've changed oil on mine three times and it's currently due for another oil change (my bike is in my signature).  Mine takes exactly two quarts of oil to bring the level somewhere between half and three-quarters on the sight glass.  This is where I want it.

YMMV!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 21:42:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LS650 Oil Capacity?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.