Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gear Rod Broke?  WTH? (Read 4 times)
Balderdash

Minnesota
Gear Rod Broke?  WTH?
07/03/07 at 22:20:00

Gear shift rod broke.  I have NO idea why or how.  Not dropped, not hit, not bent, not adjusted to higher or lower postion...

part number 36

It broke about 2 inches from the front, two pieces hanging from their postions.  Looks broken, not cut.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?  Is the stock piece susceptable to this kind of breaking and I should replace it with somthing different?  Or is the stock piece fine and this was a fluke?

(Thankfully it happened in my driveway after driving home from work.  How much would it have sucked to be stuck in one gear for 17 miles!?!?!?! lol)

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Re: Gear Rod Broke?  WTH?
Reply #1 - 07/03/07 at 23:13:26

Mine broke in half at work, so I had to drive 12 miles in 2nd to get home. Had to creep home on side streets, pulling over often to let traffic pass, and at one point, putting along Baseline ave, I got passed by a guy on a 10 speed bicycle.

I bought 2 rods with extra nuts, both left and right hand thread and put the spares in my fork bag. Part numbers 36, 37, and 38 on that ronayer pic.  I'd rather not be stuck like that again.

Not really sure if the PO kicked it hard or maybe it's just not a strong part, I was always easy with it. I do know that I couldn't get enough leverage to move the rear lever at all by hand. So I was lucky it was stuck in gear, it could have stuck in neutral.

After installing the new rod, I did notice how much tighter and precise the shifting motion felt to my toe.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 07/04/07 at 07:20:36

The gear shift rod will bend and break if you stomp on the shifter pedal. It is a common problem, just downshift while the bike is still rolling. Keep the pivot point of the shifter pedal well oiled, I installed a grease fitting on mine after having the pedal stick between first and second. It is also possible to make your own shifter rod by taking a heavier rod, drilling out the ends and brazing the threaded tips from the stock rod in the ends of the replacement rod. I've been using a home made heavy duty one for over a year with no problems.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 07/05/07 at 08:12:15

yep... wath out, one of the threads on there is left handed

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 07/05/07 at 12:44:31

Shoot. since I've heard of this one several times now...

And I'm not not exactly a "delicate" shifter all the time, I might as well put these parts on my shopping list and in my tool bag!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 07/05/07 at 12:53:10

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Shoot. since I've heard of this one several times now...

And I'm not not exactly a "delicate" shifter all the time, I might as well put these parts on my shopping list and in my tool bag!

Yeah, I keep a spare.  I haven't broken one but I bent it pretty well.  I'm thinking of slipping a piece uf tubing over it just short enough to expose the threads and enough room to braze it to the rod.  That should strengthen it a bit.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:18:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gear Rod Broke?  WTH?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.