Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running Very Rich (Read 4 times)
stuartross109
Ex Member

Running Very Rich
07/03/07 at 13:12:22

Help!!
My savage is running very rich.  Exhaust and exhaust port have a layer of balck soot, as does the plug.  Reving up produces a puff of balck smoke from the exhaust. Starts and ticks over fine.

I have tried:
New plug.
Valve clearence.
Cleaned carb.
Checked vac line with running on prime with the carb vac outlet plugged.
New petrol.

No evidence of carb flooding. Bike has been running fine until it developed a missfire at wide throttle openings (last 1/4).  None of the above has made any difference.

Specs in manual refers to main air jet, although cannot fine this on the drawing.  Could this be blocked?  Where is it?

Any suggestions out there?

Stu

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Running Very Rich
Reply #1 - 07/03/07 at 13:31:12

I don't see mention of a check of the air filter, If is it dirty can cause rich running. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
stuartross109
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/03/07 at 13:39:34

Yes sorry, air filter, although not pristine, is pretty clean.  I have a straight through muffler with a small in-pipe baffle to keep the noise at a level that prevents me continuously being stopped by the police.  The bike is a early model, 1986 I think.  It may well have a 155 main jet but not really sure.  

Many posts suggest that a none-standard exhaust require bigger main jet but this seems at odds with my problem.

Stu

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 07/03/07 at 19:37:37

You will need to pull the thing to find out out what is in there.  No doubt someone else has already made some jetting changes which has left you in the rich condition you now experience ... either that or it is dirty and desperately needs cleaning and rejetting/tuning.

IP Logged
stuartross109
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/06/07 at 13:21:36

Hi out there

I was going to try a smaller main jet and spoke to the folks at www.nrp-carbs.co.uk who had supplied a new diaphram for my Kawasaki Z400.  They advised that it was more likely to be a worn needle and needle jet.  They suggested  I look carefully for signs of discolouration or wear on the needle, particularly at its rest position with the slide at its lowest point.
On examination, with a magnifying glass, wear was evident.  
To test the theory I lowered the needle with an additional spacer.  This eliminated the smoking exhaust and just about stopped the missfire.
I have ordered a new jet and needle (3 weeks from Japan).  Will keep you posted on outcome.  Note NRP also supply parts to repair your leaking petcock.

Stu

IP Logged
stuartross109
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/28/07 at 14:28:05

Hi
Got my new needle and needle jet fitted today.  The new needle came with three slots so that it can be raised or lowered.  Middle position with a half white spacer seems to have solved the problem.
Stu

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:27:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running Very Rich

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.