Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
stripped pilot screw (Read 4 times)
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

stripped pilot screw
07/03/07 at 04:15:00

I know this topic has been raised before but i could not find much on search mode.
my pilot screw is stripped. not the threads but the slot.
i tried to drill with intention of using an easy out to adjust (think i'm to lean so was gonna turn out)
any way drill slipped and i started a hole in the screw that wasn't even close to being centered.

any advice ?

can one buy a replacement pilot screw from dealer ?
thanks in advance

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: stripped pilot screw
Reply #1 - 07/03/07 at 05:50:11

I believe it's #41 below:

You should be able to get it at CrotchRocket.com, RonAyers.com or the dealer.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 07/03/07 at 06:44:43

franch, what year is your bike? The fiche Savage_Rob shows is from a late model and not the old 80s bikes.

When you get it out, check which tip it has on it. I ordered one from Ron Ayers for my 87 model, and they sent me a different one than what came out of it.

Luckily I hadn't messed my screw up that bad, and was able to flatten the top  with the side of the cutting wheel in my die grinder, then use the edge of the wheel to cut a new slot. Works great, but you have to clean up any roughness on the threads and be careful not to gall the threads as you ease the "new" screw back in.

WARNING: In case any bystander attempt to follow my example: Working with bare fingers close to a CUTTING wheel that is spinning at thousands of RPMs is not something I advise for anyone thin skinned, or in the habit of saying "Whoops" when handling tiny parts. Even leather gloves will only provide a minimum of protection from a wheel that is designed to cut metal.

The one on top in the picture below is the old one before I "repaired" it...
The one on bottom is what Ron Ayers sent me as their part # 13279-47070 Which shows as item #47 (screwpilot) on the carb fiche for an 87 model LS-650F(H):
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0039/carburetor/carburetor.cfm?man=su&group...

BTW, my repaired one works fine, even though there is no top on it, the slot is actually in the threaded part.

Hope you get the right one, and it goes in easy!

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #3 - 07/03/07 at 07:31:05

i had to take my carb to a machine shop and have them remove the pilot screw.  turns out that was a great idea.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #4 - 07/03/07 at 07:33:03

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
The one on top in the picture below is the old one before I "repaired" it...
The one on bottom is what Ron Ayers sent me as their part # 13279-47070 Which shows as item #47 (screwpilot) on the carb fiche for an 87 model LS-650F(H):
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0039/carburetor/carburetor.cfm?man=su&group...

BTW, my repaired one works fine, even though there is no top on it, the slot is actually in the threaded part.

Hope you get the right one, and it goes in easy!

So uhm....what could be the issue if you were running the wrong screw?   I have the "late model" screw in my bike.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 07/03/07 at 07:58:07

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
So uhm....what could be the issue if you were running the wrong screw?   I have the "late model" screw in my bike.

The needle tip on the two screws are completely different. If you'll notice, one has a "shoulder" below the needle and the other doesn't. One just flat won't fit in the other's place.

Don't worry, I think about 95% of the carbs use the screw like you had, and I think you'll be safe ordering it from about anyone. Heck, I got one like it and didn't even want it! Wink

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 07/03/07 at 08:57:18

mine is a 1998 model

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 07/03/07 at 09:04:28

franch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
mine is a 1998 model

As is mine and that's what I listed.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 07/03/07 at 10:57:37

As I have re-investigated what happened with mine, I've learned a couple of things: There is indeed a difference in part numbers for the early 80s- models AND the first year of producing them again in 95, and then the 96 and later models had a different part number for it. Besides being different part numbers, they are depicted differently on the drawings, and also called "Scr3w Pilot" on the 80s + 95 drawing, and  "Scr3w Air" on the 96 and later models. It appears they stick with the same part number and drawing right on up through the 04 (K4) model.

I think Ron Ayers just messed up and sent me the wrong one! Gee things like that never happen do they? Or am I the only one that has to watch them like a hawk at the parts counter; so they don't give me parts with some tiny difference; which makes me have to crawl back out from under the car/bike and make an extra trip back to the parts store?

IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #9 - 07/03/07 at 13:18:49

If you mess up a screw slot, you can use a dremel with a small ball burr [same size as the slot width] to deepen the slot enough to accept the screwdriver blade. Just work slowly and carefully. This works for stripped phillips, too- open it up enough to take a small bladed regular [straight] screwdriver. Works almost everytime.

Also, on soft metals like brass or mild steel sometimes you gan gently tap the burr left from stripping down enough to catch the screwdriver blade. Use a small flat punch for this trick, and, again- go easy. If you close it up too much, just tap the end of the screwdriver gently to seat the blade.

WB

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 07/03/07 at 14:49:08

Hell, Billy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
If you mess up a screw slot, you can use a dremel with a small ball burr [same size as the slot width] to deepen the slot enough to accept the screwdriver blade. Just work slowly and carefully. This works for stripped phillips, too- open it up enough to take a small bladed regular [straight] screwdriver. Works almost everytime.

Also, on soft metals like brass or mild steel sometimes you gan gently tap the burr left from stripping down enough to catch the screwdriver blade. Use a small flat punch for this trick, and, again- go easy. If you close it up too much, just tap the end of the screwdriver gently to seat the blade.

WB

This assumes you can access it.  The screw he's talking about is recessed into a hole in the carburetor.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:16:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › stripped pilot screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.