Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shock preload adjustment? (Read 11 times)
praetorian
Ex Member

Shock preload adjustment?
07/02/07 at 06:30:04

I'm posting this again because the post and the replies were deleted by an admin.  Anyway.....

I need to adjust the shock preload.  It is currently on the softest setting and I am 270# so I need it on the hardest setting for my big behind.  The bike sat in a storage building for 5 years, so I figure that the adjusting ring is frozen tight.  I don't have the stock tool kit, so I have no drift.  I found a phillips screwdriver that fits the hole pretty well.  

Couldn't get it to move, so I saturated it with WD-40...still no go.  I then used vise grips to compress the spring.  Nothing.  I then used a hammer and beat the heck outta the screwdriver and got it to turn about a millimeter.  I know this only because I was able to tap it the other direction and it moved a little.  I don't have a jackstand to lift the bike off the ground, so I am a little limited in what I can do.  Someone replied to the other post with the idea to remove the shock and put the bottom mount hole of the shock on the top mounting bolt to get good leverage and do it that way.  Only proble with that is that I don't have a jack stand to raise the bike to get the shock off.  Any other ideas?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Shock preload adjustment?
Reply #1 - 07/02/07 at 06:42:12

Find another way to raise the rear of the motorcycle.
If you can't rent a jackstand, then find a way to lift the rear of the bike from over head.  A tree, some chain and a come-along.

Make sure you aren't turning it the wrong way.  If you are at the softest setting now, it will only turn ONE WAY!

For reference:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1137768473

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 07/02/07 at 07:42:43

If you can get someone to help, it's fairly easy to lift it enough manually to remove the shock.  I used a broomstick as a lever and lifted it enough to pull it myself when I changed mine to Progressives.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/02/07 at 17:07:28

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Rob, your lever idea worked perfectly.  I can't believe it didn't dawn on me to do tis.  I even keep a 4 ft. 2x4 to use as a lever for a number of things.  With it, I was able to easily get the shocks off and then get the preload set to where I wanted it.  I set it to 1 click from firmest.  I think this will be sufficient for my 275# behind.  We will see.  If not, I still have the ability to raise it one more notch.

Thanks again and I can't wait to take her for a test ride tomorrow to see what the difference is.  What should I expect from it now?  Will this give me a much stiffer ride thus less comfortable?  will it improve the andleing of the bike?

Oh, by the way, the 2 shocks were set at 2 different settings.  The right was set at lowest and the left was set at 1 notch up from lowest.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/02/07 at 17:27:24

I had mine on the stiffest for a while, there were a few bumps that it was too stiff for so I backed it off one notch.  I like it now, just right for my 240 butte.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:21:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shock preload adjustment?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.