Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Misplaced keys (Read 3 times)
spiknoff
Ex Member

Misplaced keys
07/01/07 at 17:38:13

I just recently purchased a 98 Savage and I stupidly misplaced the keys.  Any suggestions on how to get a set made without having to replace all the parts that use keys?
Thanks in advance

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Misplaced keys
Reply #1 - 07/01/07 at 18:00:19

Check the side of your ig switch for a black panel.  There might be an "E" code there.  If there is, you can order keys online.

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/

Or take the code to the dealer.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/01/07 at 21:02:34

Bummer. Lousy time of year to be hunting keys. If you dont have a special place for keys, well,, need I say more? Actually, I leave the key in mine at home, in the garage. Most of the time anyway. If there are people around I dont trust to stay off of it I dont. Certain age boys just make me cautious. As a former boy, it just seems prudent to distrust them.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 07/01/07 at 21:11:55

I've got 2 extra full sets of keys for mine, when we 'scoot' togeher on road trips we keep the other riders extra keys with us in case one gets lost, or if an accident happened they could either get the items from the bags and secure the bike or help move the bike if the jeys in the bike left or were damaged in the accident. Brother and his wife started that after one of them temporarily lost a set. Keeps things on schedule and issues down. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/02/07 at 06:22:31

That sounds pretty smart right there. Attaboy Max!

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #5 - 07/02/07 at 06:24:36

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I've got 2 extra full sets of keys for mine, when we 'scoot' togeher on road trips we keep the other riders extra keys with us in case one gets lost, or if an accident happened they could either get the items from the bags and secure the bike or help move the bike if the jeys in the bike left or were damaged in the accident. Brother and his wife started that after one of them temporarily lost a set. Keeps things on schedule and issues down. Max

oh yeah, well....I have the spare key for my bike implanted just below the surface of my skin, that way if I lose the regular one I can just CUT THE SPARE OUT.

Eh?  How's that for smarts?

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
DrT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 07/02/07 at 12:58:32

Tape a spare inside the rear light cover. Then all you need to do in an emergency is undo the two screws holding the cover in place.

IP Logged
spiknoff
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/02/07 at 15:05:31

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Check the side of your ig switch for a black panel.  There might be an "E" code there.  If there is, you can order keys online.

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/

Or take the code to the dealer.   Grin

Thanks for the advice.  Found the code and can now order a new key.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 07/02/07 at 18:55:09

Tux- I like it, and then if an emergency arises, you can call the ambulance, go to the hospital, get to the MRI machine, flip the switch and, Voila, the key will rise up out from under your skin.  Brilliant. Cheesy

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #9 - 07/02/07 at 21:03:29

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
oh yeah, well....I have the spare key for my bike implanted just below the surface of my skin, that way if I lose the regular one I can just CUT THE SPARE OUT.

Eh?  How's that for smarts?

Pretty smart, as long as you don't keep your pocket knife on your keychain!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 07/02/07 at 22:27:58

I have just one key left for my ig-switch, so my permanent solution is to rewire the bike and leave out the ig-switch and in its' place install a toggle switch.
ON or OFF ...all I need is my finger to flip the switch and then hit the starter button.  I may hide the toggle  or maybe just leave it right up front.   Or maybe use 2 toggles, one hidden and one up front.  That would really confuse them.   Grin
If someone tried to steal it they may spend all of their time looking for the "keyed" ig-switch.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #11 - 07/02/07 at 22:51:18

drharveys - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Pretty smart, as long as you don't keep your pocket knife on your keychain!

I work in a furniture store.  I carry two razor knives on my person pretty much at all times.

The MRI machine idea I like.  Reminds me of that one episode of "House."

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:18:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Misplaced keys

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.