Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bleeding brakes (Read 43 times)
dscooter41
Ex Member

Bleeding brakes
06/29/07 at 19:31:07

Having a problem bleeding the front brakes.  I took master apart and put in new brake fluid.  I opened bleeder screw and pumped the brake handle several times but no pressure.  What am I doing wrong?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Bleeding brakes
Reply #1 - 06/29/07 at 19:49:13

Are you opening and closing the bleeder valve with every squeeze?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 06/29/07 at 20:36:45

If you've ever done a car, it's a 2 handed thing with the bike.

Pump, pump...squeeze....open....close....pump, pump...squeeze...open...close....(watch the bubbles and fluid)

You get a sequence going.  Good to have a container with fluid in it so that you keep air out of the bleeder line in case you miss a beat.

Keep track of the reservoir level too...don't want to pump air in the line.

IP Logged
dscooter41
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/30/07 at 09:59:17

Thanks for the replies.  I did do the pump pump squeeze open close thing for 30 minutes.  No bubbles or fluid.  Levels in the master did not lower either.  The bleeder valve is free of obstructions as well.  Maybe will try a bleeder pump to suck out air and pull fluid through.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/30/07 at 10:37:00

I do remember having trouble to start the refill after changing my brakeline.  But don't remember exactly what I did.  I may have removed the brakeline and using my thumb to do the open close thing.  Or I may have used the palm of my hand over the top of the reservor to pump it through.  But a pump should do the job.  Once it started, I just put everything back together and it went ok.

WWW   IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #5 - 06/30/07 at 11:32:09

I used one of these last week when I bled the brakes for the first time..
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=1000...
It's basically a tube with a one way valve. Worked perfectly. Bleed screw undone a half-turn.

IP Logged
dscooter41
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/30/07 at 17:38:20

Got it.  Will use pump and let you know.  Thank you all.

IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #7 - 06/30/07 at 17:59:52

that was a pain......

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 07/05/07 at 19:38:45

Be advised that the master cylinder itself needs to be bled if it has been disassembled.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 10/02/07 at 12:36:50

dscooter41 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Got it.  Will use pump and let you know.  Thank you all.

How did the brake bleeding go with the pump? I'm encountering the same problem. Let me know.

Thanks,
Jim

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 10/03/07 at 08:28:50

Be careful with the pumps.  I tried using a Mity-Vac on mine and it just pulls too much fluid at once.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #11 - 10/03/07 at 09:39:10

As the Digger said:
BLEED THE MASTER CYL. FIRST !
You don't need any fancy tools.
Fill up the master cyl. with fluid. Squeeze the lever couple of times and hold it IN. Crack loose the banjo bolt that attaches the brake line to the master cyl. You will feel and see the air going out. Tighten the banjo bolt and repeat the procedure as many times as needed. Enjoy the ride !

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 10/03/07 at 10:11:07

Lots of good ideas here, but I know what the problem is.

You have too much air in the brake hose and it's hard to get it out.  The hose needs to be mostly full of fluid to get any action out of the master cylinder when you pump it.  Otherwise you are only pumping air, and no fluid is running out of the reservoir into the hose.  Kinda like holding your finger on the end of a drinking straw.

(I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with the master cylinder seals)

I wish that I had a photo, but let me try to describe a little trick.  Since it is hard to pour fluid into the top hose banjo fitting, this will work but it can be a little messy (so cover your tank and fender).

Disconnect hose from master cylinder.  Get a "ziplock" sandwich bag and cut a small hole in a lower corner.  Slide that hole over the hose end and wrap a rubber band around the bag to seal it as tight as possible to the hose.  Now, put about a 1/2 cup of fluid in the baggie and close the zipper....follow me?

You might need a helper at this point...to hold baggie and hose upright.  Then put a container under the brake caliper and open the bleed screw.  Now wait.  The fluid will run down the hose and out the bleed screw enough to remove most of the air.  Don't let the baggie run empty.  Then close the screw, grab a rag and remove the baggie from the hose.  Put hose on master cylinder without spilling too much fluid from the hose.

Now go back to the regular bleeding process.

Good luck

IP Logged
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 10/03/07 at 13:13:21

that is brillant. If only I read this before I bought the pump. I just bought it too. I guess I'll try the pump, but if it doesn't work....

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Lots of good ideas here, but I know what the problem is.

You have too much air in the brake hose and it's hard to get it out.  The hose needs to be mostly full of fluid to get any action out of the master cylinder when you pump it.  Otherwise you are only pumping air, and no fluid is running out of the reservoir into the hose.  Kinda like holding your finger on the end of a drinking straw.

(I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with the master cylinder seals)

I wish that I had a photo, but let me try to describe a little trick.  Since it is hard to pour fluid into the top hose banjo fitting, this will work but it can be a little messy (so cover your tank and fender).

Disconnect hose from master cylinder.  Get a "ziplock" sandwich bag and cut a small hole in a lower corner.  Slide that hole over the hose end and wrap a rubber band around the bag to seal it as tight as possible to the hose.  Now, put about a 1/2 cup of fluid in the baggie and close the zipper....follow me?

You might need a helper at this point...to hold baggie and hose upright.  Then put a container under the brake caliper and open the bleed screw.  Now wait.  The fluid will run down the hose and out the bleed screw enough to remove most of the air.  Don't let the baggie run empty.  Then close the screw, grab a rag and remove the baggie from the hose.  Put hose on master cylinder without spilling too much fluid from the hose.

Now go back to the regular bleeding process.

Good luck

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 01:15:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bleeding brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.