Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone ever turned the savage into a dirtbike (Read 26 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Has anyone ever turned the savage into a dirtbike
06/29/07 at 13:44:22

More curiosity than anything, but has anyone set up a Savage as dirtbike?.  I would think with all that torque It could be quite good. Raise it up a bit and maybe convert to chaindrive. I have seen many big singles as trials/scamblers etc. Any opinions?

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Has anyone ever turned the savage into a dirtb
Reply #1 - 06/29/07 at 14:25:19

Id say a decent enduro could be had for just a bit O $$ & instead of buying a bike to "Frankenstein" on, a guy could get a bike & go ride in the dirt or the street today, And, likely outperform the 650, since the enduro would be purpose built & the 650 would be a hopefully succcesful modification/ reengineering. Myself, I wouldnt think it would be a good return on investment, But, a guy might do it & have the coolest, meanest bike ever & I was just too shortsighted to see it. If you do it, you will go down in history. Like the guys here who walked off into the chain conversion. Hutch lead the way & it worked out fine. Go get 'em Killer!

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #2 - 06/29/07 at 14:38:28

not really thinking of doing it to my bike.  I like riding it too much to take it off the road.  I have looked at a bunch of Enduro's etc and some fairly poor ones people were asking $700-$800. This is more curiosity as to whether the end result would be any good.  If a savage came up really really cheap I might have a go at it.  The truth is I don't really have the tools or knowledge to do a job like that, but I could learn.

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 06/29/07 at 14:50:59

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes ??? Shocked Tongue Smiley Wink Grin Cheesy ??? Roll Eyes Smiley

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 06/29/07 at 14:56:55

SteveRocket1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
...This is more curiosity as to whether the end result would be any good....
Probsbly not that good -- the transmission is geared too close.  If you reduce the final drive ration to give you a good walk over rocks first gear you won't have any top end speed to speak of.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 06/29/07 at 15:45:33

id be leary of the front rake..min . changes: better(dual use) tires and  raise the fender, seems would be ok for dirt roads but no serious trail/enduro rides...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 06/29/07 at 16:31:57

After several thousand $, you'd still be better of with a bone stock DR650...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/29/07 at 17:10:05

I think it would make a fun flat tracker. I ride my wife's on gravel roads, and I'm always tempted to pitch it sideways - it feels so comfortable! Cheesy

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #8 - 06/29/07 at 18:20:39

So the opinion is it would be a waste of time,money and effort. The end result would most prob be crap too.  Thanks for your insights, like I said wasn't really thinking in a serious way.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 06/29/07 at 19:36:40

It depends on what you call a "dirt bike" I think this scrambler/enduro qualifies as a "dirt bike."

I wouldn't mind doing one.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #10 - 06/29/07 at 20:11:38

I think the motor would be great in a dirtbike. Light & torquey. I'd drop the gearing about 20% & let 'er rip! The problem would be the chassis though. 35 degree rake; the front tire would wash out easily & standing up would have you leaning back. Interesting idea though. That green scrambler looks cool!

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 06/29/07 at 20:35:00

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I think the motor would be great in a dirtbike. Light & torquey. I'd drop the gearing about 20% & let 'er rip! The problem would be the chassis though. 35 degree rake; the front tire would wash out easily & standing up would have you leaning back. Interesting idea though. That green scrambler looks cool!

Look closely, the tank is chrome, and the green is the reflection of leaves! Also notice that the controls have been moved back to a natural central location, like a typical off-road bike. Also, the seat height and rear fender has been raised with what looks like a level frame hoop kind of like the nickel plated Rickman racing frames had back in their day. Not a cheap nor easy proposition I assure you.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #12 - 06/29/07 at 20:43:23

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:

No doubt the 35º rake needs addressing, but for one thing, as you change the height of the rear shocks up, and the triple tree offset, your rake and trail figures are going to change anyways. Also, besides raising the rear and changing the rake with longer shocks, it would be necessary to get a taller rear wheel/tire, as almost no 15" knobby tires, and very few dual sport 15" are available. The 17" (is it?) sprocket and spoke rear wheel from the GS series would seem a natural since it is already the one parts are being picked off of for the sprocket swap. At least that is the direction I would investigate first. However, it would be nice to find a cross reference part that had nice alloy rims. Wink

You might actually only have cut down a couple of degrees  of rake to get the spec in where you want it (if any). Personally I like a bit of rake and trail on an off-road bike. The super quick steering of a low rake angle can be handy in really tight woods or trials bike like riding, but for simple pleasure trail riding, having really tight steering gets annoying and tiring after a while. Just depends on how you intend to ride.

This is all daydreaming for me anyways... I've got to decide what I can do with my 4-speed next, as I don't think it will make a suitable dirt/tracker etc... Maybe a Cafe' with no intention of getting over 80-85mph? Optimizing for torquing around 25-50mph tight roads might be fun.

Could just bolt on a fat azz solo seat and big windshield; and add some really tall highway sprockets on it, so it would just go putt.....putt.....putt at about 75-80mph. Wink Then just not worry about having to slip the clutch to get her rolling in first gear!

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #13 - 06/29/07 at 21:06:51

I have been off road with Black Betty and I assure you it has no potential as a dirt bike.

First off, like Rockin John said the pegs have to be moved back so you can stand on them. The steering geometery is all wrong. The forks have to moved in for quicker steering and the soft suspension has to be upgraded to long travel units. The hard part is increasing the ground clearance by another 6 inches or so. A 21 inch front rim will help a little.
I recall going up steep hills off road and thinking hey this motor has some  torque to it. It is an interesting thought though.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:20:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Has anyone ever turned the savage into a dirtbike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.