Squeaking brakes still (Read 16 times)
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Squeaking brakes still
06/29/07 at 05:50:46

I bought my '07 S40 in May.  The brakes started squeaking almost immediately and either progressively got worse or got on my nerves more and more.  

So, I took the bike back to the dealer where I bought it and was told by the service writer there was nothing that could really be done for them.  Stewed about that on the way home and then called the service manager.  He said "all the Suzuki cruisers brakes squeak due to vibration" but there was a few things they could try.  

Took the bike in for the first (600 mile) service a few days ago.  The mechanic said he sprayed some blue anti-squeel on the backs of the pad and sanded them some.  Left the dealership and the brakes actually made no noise at all!  I was so happy.  I went on a group ride the next day and about 30-40 miles into the ride they are started to squeak again.  Now what do I do?

Thanks.
Colleen

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Squeaking brakes still
Reply #1 - 06/29/07 at 07:05:53

Maybe do what he did only dont be so hasty as he was. Pull the pads , give them a cleaning & spray the stuff on, let it cure a bit, then reinstall? I dont know how badly yours squeal, Mine do it & I just really dont care. I spend a lot less trime stopping than I do going. My issue with the brakes was how easily the rear locked up, so I changed that, but the squeal isnt a big deal to me.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 06/29/07 at 07:23:23

This whole thing is pretty common with a new bike.  And the dealerships really don't have a clue.  They'll say anything to get you to shut up and leave anyway.

The funny part is (if you notice), there aren't that many posts about squeaking brakes on older Savages in this forum.  They seem to wear in after a while.  Ours haven't squeaked in a few years, and even then, my spouse's squeaked more than mine ever did.

Make sure the brake rotor is good and clean.  If it feels a little bit oily then clean it with a solvent and resurface the pads with some sand paper.

Do you favor the rear brake more than the front brake?  Make sure you use the front brake at least as much as the rear brake.  You might try a few good strong straight line stops with the front brake and see if that helps...just be careful not to lock it up.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/29/07 at 07:52:49

They'll squeal more the dirtier they get.  Wash with water and detergeant.

Also you might try the quick hard stop.

I've changed to ceramic pads (EBC) and they're very quiet so far.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #4 - 06/29/07 at 09:34:59

Also use the anti-squeal compound goo from a tube instead of a spray, I think it lasts longer.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 06/29/07 at 14:48:29

smokey02 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Also use the anti-squeal compound goo from a tube instead of a spray, I think it lasts longer.

He said that a mechanic sprayed some on them...which is why I didn't mention it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 06/30/07 at 06:09:58

I was a squeal critic when my bike was new.  I also really thought you couldn't get rid of the noise as I tried and tried (but only did the easy cosmetic things).

Front brake pads HAVE to be changed to SBC or other good aftermarket pad set.  EMCO works according to the folks on the list.  I can personally vouch for SBC.  Sand your rotor surfaces with 320 grit wet or dry (keeping in the contact patch) to remove glaze materials that build up from the OEM pads.  Put thick anti-squeal paste on the back of your new pads and let it harden some before you put them in place.

Rear brake drum steel contact surface HAS to have all the extremely rough machining marks blunted down completely with 180-220 grit sandpaper (very laborious but necessary).   The leading and trailing edges of the OEM shoe pad surfaces need to be lightly beveled (shallow angle).   You have to get rid of all the loose wear dust from inside the drum

<DANGEROUS -- may contain asbestos compounds>

Please use a parts cleaner or else please use a can of engine cleaner and a stream of water to remove it, don't just hit it with an air jet which puts it into the air and in your lungs.  Remember to lightly relube your brake cams with moly grease.

Do these things and the squealing goes away.  

I am a believer now.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/30/07 at 08:52:48

Thanks OF, I am tired of the rear squeak, the front did settle out after the EBC install, & I didnt use any antisqueal goop. It rarely squeals & then when I grip a bit tighter, it stops, but the rear is annoying. Next tire swap Ill go iun there.& Thats soon, cuz its wore out.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 06/30/07 at 12:26:35

Need a tire?  Make you a special deal on a Dunlop 140/90-15 for you only $50 plus a used cam chain and you pay the cost of shipping.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/30/07 at 15:06:31

Well Ol Feller, I have a new D/lop 140/90/15 in the garage I paid nearly twice that for. Wont be doin THAT again,, I was "supporting my local shop" when I shoulda been savin my personal pennies, but, I do that sometimes, just to try to make sure the guy is HERE when I need him.

I have a used cam chain, one I wpould consider running again. If I can get the tensioner modded like I want, this chain will see itself in there spinning again. I will be sure to set it on the gears so as to "work" the other side of the chain on the power stroke.

Thank you for the kind offer.

IP Logged
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 07/01/07 at 06:01:01

Thanks a bunch everyone for the advice on getting this fixed!  I printed some of this out and took it with me to the dealer.  He's ordered some softer pads and says he will use the anti-squeal again & he will lightly sand the rotor.  

Colleen

IP Logged
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Reply #11 - 07/12/07 at 08:03:08

Just wanted to let you all know I got my brake pads replaced today.  The dealer put on the red EBC pads (FA106X).  We'll see how this goes.    Wink

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #12 - 07/12/07 at 13:49:01

I've had the red EBC pads (FA106X) on the front for 9 months 6000 miles, it has stayed silent. So far so good.

Rear still noisy tho.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/12/07 at 15:12:23

Same here.

I now use the rears to let every one know I'm there since the supertrapp has cured the boom.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/13/07 at 19:20:11

I didnt like how easy it was to lock the rear brake & modified the shoes. Doesnt squeal often any more, either. Tapering the ends of the shoes with a grinder is what is offered as a solution for the squeal. I did that & cut grooves across the shoes to the point that only about half was left to contact the drum. I like it a lot better.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:36:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squeaking brakes still

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.