Send Topic Print
Done did it now! (Read 10 times)
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Done did it now!
06/28/07 at 21:20:12

Well, I had her just past break in on the new cam, and the head cover decided to spring a leak.  I figured it was time to readjust the valves anyway so I let her sit overnight and opened it up in the morning.  There was a good oil bath under the cam lobes and they looked happy, dry valve springs on the side that had been leaking but i figured they'd be fine until the oil got flowing.  Well when i layed my line of silicone maybe i went to thick, maybe I filled an oil line with and and let it dry cause let me tell you guys... Phew..  Started right up after getting back together, took off for a ride.  Did an hour or two and was making my way home when it started to whine... No bangs, no strange pops but then it cut off.  I tried to restart and it just spun the starter, the motor wasn't turning at all.  I just new it was that darn tensioner, because I decided not to mess with it.  Slept in front of a church for a couple hours till someone with truck could come get me, the gods were smiling on me, it was a nice day.  Got it home and today I opened it up again.  Where my nice new performance cam bolts to the sprocket was broken off, the lobes were ground down and seemed burned, the rockers were in the same shape.  The camchain guide housing was nicely chewed and one of the journal bearings seems to have a small scratch.. I may still be able to use the head if i get in there with a dremel and take off all the chunks and shavings of metal, but i need to really look at the journals and see if they're gone.  It didn't seem like any oil passages were blocked by siligoop so i wonder what starved the top end in a couple hours time...  I had to stop dealing with it less insanity set in.  I'll take a good look tommorrow and take some pics to post here, i can at least serve as a warning to others.   Grin  Planned on riding the dragon this weekend, guess that's gonna wait a bit... Unless i buy that 805cc suzuki twin i saw on ebay... nice 1991 standard/cafe type.  Then I could take my time with the savage..  For now though, i'm going back to my beer to see if it advises me to toss some more money at another reground cam.

Oh yeah, can't wait to buy ANOTHER head gasket and see if any friendly little metal chunks got into the cylinder, may need that piston order to go through sooner than i thought!!

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Done did it now!
Reply #1 - 06/28/07 at 21:54:50

Man, Very sorry to hear it. Reelthing says heads can be had for 50 bucks. I dont know if they come with cams & stuff, tho.I hope the inspection doesnt expose more than youve already found.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 06/29/07 at 07:36:07

This sucks for sure....

You rode it for a couple hours before this happened?  I'd bet this was all mechanical.  Not a problem with oil flow at all.  An oil problem would likely been apparent earlier in the ride.

Does any of this look familiar?  Did you use the tab lock washer on the cam gear bolts?  Did the tab lock washer cover the pin too?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 06/29/07 at 08:20:29

Oh man, my heart sank as I read your report.

You said there was oil in the little cam lobe pools which makes me think that this could be a mechanical issue like S_G suggested.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 06/29/07 at 08:57:14

big suck.  good luck.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 06/29/07 at 14:50:11

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Oh man, my heart sank as I read your report.

You said there was oil in the little cam lobe pools which makes me think that this could be a mechanical issue like S_G suggested.

Yep.  You don't ride 2 hours with an oil problem.  Something else was wrong.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 06/30/07 at 07:08:47

Ugh...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #7 - 06/30/07 at 19:46:11

Well, I haven't gone any deeper into the motor, but now I can take my time!  Just brought home a gently used (well, 25000 miles) 2000 zr7 so I've got a ride.  Now I'll delve into suzi's innards and get to the bottom end of things, see what it's gonna take to get her going.  Locking tab for the cam was on correctly, no locktite on the bolts though...  Ah well, I'll just look around for a complete head and pop her on as long as the bottem end checks out.  Now I can go more custom chopper with the savage so it all works out.  Grin

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/01/07 at 04:05:02

Hmmm, I didnt use lock tite either, just carefully bent the tabs & went on. Thats been a bit nore than 2 hrs riding time, but am I open to a disaster because I didnt use locktite> Thoise bolts cant get away without driving a good bit of metal away first. The tabs are down tight on them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:22:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Done did it now!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.