Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fuel issues (Read 1 times)
smitty79
Ex Member

fuel issues
06/28/07 at 19:03:01

so I'm driving down the road the other day and ran out of gas (i think).  I just got the bike about a week ago and forgot about the reserve tank.  I walked the bike to a gas station and filled up.  
Since then, while riding, the bike has acted like it has ran out of fuel when it has nearly a full tank.  I switched to the reserve tank for about a minute and then back to the main and everything was back to normal.  So here's what I'm thinking..Perhaps, when I thought i ran out of gas that first time, i really didn't.  (the tank was really really low though) any ideas on what my problem could be??

IP Logged
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: fuel issues
Reply #1 - 06/28/07 at 19:45:48

Did you open the choke to start the engine?  Did you leave it open?

IP Logged
jd06s40

live to ride

marion ohio
Reply #2 - 06/28/07 at 19:51:58

maybe a bad petthinggy

06 s40 se muffler,152.5 mainjet,55pilot,whitespacer mod,suzuki windscreen,gel seat,sissybar more to come
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #3 - 06/28/07 at 19:58:28

Mine does the same thing, usually once or twice in the first couple miles, worse in cold weather. Acts like it just runs out of gas. PRI or RES always makes it go again. Seafoam makes work a little better but it still messes up now and then.  I suspect either the screen in the petc0ck (ON has the higher inlet tube up in the tank) or the valve itself, or the diaphram, or the vacuum hose (the one with the wire wrapped around it) I'm gonna try taking it apart (again) and clean the valve insides and the screen and put on a new vacuum hose. If it doesn't fix it this time I guess I'll break down and shell out the $60 for a new one, I don't reallly want to do the mod that some have done. It's great that it's automatic when it does work.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 06/29/07 at 05:34:23

sounds like the same problem i had,  bad petc0ck.  i bought a new one for $60.  but i did not replace it yet,  for the mean time what i did is capped off the vac line at the petc0ck and carb with two rubber caps, and all is fine!! now i just turn the petc0ck to "PRI" to allow free flowing gas to the carb  and when i am done riding i just turn it back to "on".

1987 Savage 100% stock and happy with that, owned it since it was BRAND NEW!
  IP Logged
smitty79
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/29/07 at 05:58:58

thanks guys.  Does anyone have the maintenance book that they're selling on ebay?  Will it walk me through fixes like this one?

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #6 - 06/29/07 at 08:38:39

That happened to me back when the bike was brand new.
I got some bad gas (bottom of the tank stuff from the local gas station.) The petc0ck and screen were full of rusty flakes. Cleaned everything out and end of problem.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #7 - 06/29/07 at 09:26:22

Yes, sort of. My Clymer manual shows how to remove the fuel filter and valve, clean the screen and reinstall it.
It doesn't show how to take it apart - it's not hard to do.
Remove 4 screws on the vacuum(back) side. Carefully clean and inspect the diaphragm for any pinholes that might leak vacuum or let fuel get into the vacuum side and into the line from the carb. If the diaphragm is damaged, I don't think we can get it separately, have to buy the whole unit.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:24:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fuel issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.