Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Spark Knock... Oh No!! (Read 20 times)
Richard_M
YaBB Newbies

Spring Hill, FL
Re: Spark Knock... Oh No!!
Reply #15 - 06/28/07 at 15:31:35

I'm not sure of the octane, as we just bought this bike for my wife and it still has the fuel in it from the previous owner, but using lower octane to eliminate spark-knock is backwards from what I've been told.

Singles are second only to Opposed Twins
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 06/28/07 at 17:00:40

Okay, now, with that description of riding & exactly when it knocks & when it stops, this is very abnormal. I would rid myself of the fuel in the tank & put in good fresh stuff. Load the gas can for the lawnmower up with this stuff. Pull the plug & see what the gap is. maybe you dont have one? Habe you taken it out to see what top end it will deliver? Just go to it easy, try to not let it clatter, that stuff isnt healthy. Maybe it is all carboned up. I dont know how a bike gets loaded up. Mine sure better not, Ill be ticked off. Keep us posted. Thanks for the detailed description.

Hey, at 20,000 it either has a new cam chain or likely needs one. Guys, can he be hearing chain on chain or tensioner trying to fly?

IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #17 - 06/28/07 at 18:55:40

http://www.stanford.edu/~bmoses/knock.html

I stand corrected.... Though try the simple cheap things first.  IF the cam chain hasn't been done.  Think about that seriously (at least look in the engine and check the tension)..

- Roadie

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 06/29/07 at 05:34:55

Roadie wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
http://www.stanford.edu/~bmoses/knock.html

I stand corrected.... Though try the simple cheap things first.  IF the cam chain hasn't been done.  Think about that seriously (at least look in the engine and check the tension)..

- Roadie

With 20k miles on her, that's a decent possibility.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #19 - 06/29/07 at 16:40:00

A stretched cam chain won't induce knock!  It will retard the timing which will reduce/eliminate knock...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Richard_M
YaBB Newbies

Spring Hill, FL
Reply #20 - 07/07/07 at 09:20:17

Okay, so we put high octane gas, carbon cleaner ("snake oil" if you ask me), and ran it at highway speeds for 15-20 minutes.... still knocks. I'm starting to get real worried about this bike. I'm going to look on here for advice regarding the timing chain, and I'll get back when I've done the work to let you guys know what I come up with.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 07/07/07 at 14:02:31

In cars, you'd get that knock when it needed a tune up and you floored it.  Sometimes ignition wires or plugs would fix it.

You only get carbon build up knock when the engine was hot.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 07/07/07 at 17:38:31

I think maybe, being as big as you are (290lbs), that a normal running savage will knock a little if your lugging the engine at all.  Does' it knock when when your wifes riding solo?
 For instance, you shouldn't even get into 5th gear until 50mph minimum. Would it still knock accelerating from 50mph in fifth?

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #23 - 07/07/07 at 17:51:22

I weigh 220, I had a 250lb pillion and didn't have any knock...there's something other than rider weight at play here...oh, BTW, i have a 17/43 sprocket setup and the 470lb load didn't induce knock with 87 octane fuel!

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Richard_M
YaBB Newbies

Spring Hill, FL
Reply #24 - 07/09/07 at 07:25:54

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Does' it knock when when your wifes riding solo?
 ... Would it still knock accelerating from 50mph in fifth?

Yes, it does when she's riding solo, and when accelerating when over 50mph. We stopped by a motorcycle dealership/repair shop and had a technician listen to it. He says that it sounds like "piston slap" and that the bike needs a top end. Possibly also a cylinder problem, i.e. needs replaced. I sensed that they may have been fishing to see if I would bite on a $1000 repair bill.

Anyway, I tore it down this weekend and have the cylinder with me to have it measured against the specs. I don't have the tools to measure it myself (yet). Is there such a thing as an oversized piston for the LS650?

Richard

IP Logged
Richard_M
YaBB Newbies

Spring Hill, FL
Reply #25 - 07/16/07 at 16:04:32

I think I found it!! So as I was saying in another post, I went by a local motorcycle shop and had a mechanic take a listen and a test ride on my wife's savage. In a nutshell, he told me "piston slap, head gasket leak, burning oil, probably needs a new cylinder". Summary: $1000 repair bill. I took the bike straight home and tore down the engine. After taking the head cover off I found an item laying in the area in the head where the camshaft lobes rotate through to pickup oil.

The item is #6 on this schematic...

Turns out that it prevents the camshaft from moving laterally in and striking the head. There would be no way for it to come out on it's own, so someone must have dropped it while reassembling the engine. I removed a broken head cover bolt while I was in there.

After I reassemble the engine with the new piston, I'll know for sure.

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #26 - 07/16/07 at 17:49:23

Don't worry about weight. I am 6 ft and 310 lbs. I have just turned over 4000 miles on my '06. I run regular with no problems. If I get lazy and don't give enough gas I can induce a lugging 'knock' that goes away with a little throttle. Just about any motor will do that at some point. Sounds like you found the real problem anyway. Good luck!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Richard_M
YaBB Newbies

Spring Hill, FL
Reply #27 - 07/31/07 at 19:04:36

Time for an update!

I got the cylinder back from the machine shop last Thursday. If anyone lives near Brooksville, FL and needs machine shop work on their bike, take it to Tri-County Cycle. The store looks like it hasn't been maintained for 20 years, but man does Dave know his motorcycles. I set the cylinder up on the counter and without even saying anything he says "this from an LS650?" Perfect job on the bore and hone!!

Anyway, got it home and immediately started working on it. After assembling, discovering 5 stripped bolts, disassembling, helicoiling, and reassembling, removing the side cover (with the oil still in it), putting the washer in the right place on the starter gears (twice), reinstalling the side cover, and readjusting the valves at TDC of compression stroke (instead of TDC of exhaust stroke, BIG difference) it runs like a champ and there is no sign of any knock, ping, rattle, or any other unacceptable noise. Sounds just like a high power sewing machine!! All I have to do now is wait for the clutch pressure plate to come in (since I broke it while installing it to the torque spec in the book) and my wife will be back in business.

And she said I should let a more experienced mechanic work on it. What does she know?  8)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 07/31/07 at 19:14:56

Tell her you're as experienced as most of the snot nosed stealership mech's, but it'll make her feel better tell her to pay up!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #29 - 08/01/07 at 19:51:16

Sorry you had such a big job to do to fix a bike you just bought, but it sounds like you did a good fix and should be in good shape for a while now.

From all the parts out of place and stripped threads, I'm guessing the seller had a good idea they were selling your a load of trouble. That's a crappy way to do someone. I'd never knowingly pawn that kind of a POS off on someone without fixing it, or being honest about the condition and knocking the price down. Some people have no shame. Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:33:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spark Knock... Oh No!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.