Send Topic Print
Emgo Air Filters (Read 30 times)
jwirtz333
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Emgo Air Filters
06/27/07 at 08:40:26

I am wanted to put a better filter on my Savage and I've seen advertised on ebay an Emgo Cone Filter that will fit right onto the bike without removing the airbox.  If anyone knows what this would be, I am looking for the part number to order one.

Also,  I would be open for other possible performance filters that you would see as better than the Emgo.  If other suggestions are mentioned, please tell me why you think another brand would be better.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Emgo Air Filters
Reply #1 - 06/27/07 at 09:09:37

well, genrerally KN filters allow lots of air while still doing a pretty good job filtering.  you could just use a kn rc 1250 pod, but you gotta cut up or remove the airbox.  there is also kn replacement for the stock air filter.  that, plus the desnorkel mod works well.  as for the mego, I have no experience, but the ID of the flange needs to be 2.25" to fit over the carb mouth.

V

IP Logged
jwirtz333
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 06/27/07 at 09:28:00

What exactly is a desnorkel mod, and does it require the airbox to be removed?  Where can I look to find this product?

thanks

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 06/27/07 at 09:54:23

take the seat off.  see that thing sticking out of the top oif the airbox?  it has two holes and a cross piece.  pull it out with pliers.  you are desnorkeled.  now rejet.

you gonna do a pipe too?

IP Logged
jwirtz333
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 07/03/07 at 12:16:03

Hey did the desnorkeling and I think there definitely a little more power, but a little hard to tell.  Here's why:  There is a little more throttle hesitation, then before, and it backfires quite a bit more on the decel out of the muffler ( which is harley upgrade that is drilled out).  Had the upgrade on before the desnorkel and way less pop.  I have an 86 model, and the guy I bought it from said that these came with the bigger jet, so he said that I could just put a air pod on, and be ready to roll.

I not sure that's exactly accurate now.  It has always blown a little black if you rap it a in neutral, but I'm told that these should run a little rich anyway.  What would you suggest to go from here?

IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #5 - 07/03/07 at 12:38:59

sounds like you need to adjust the mixture screw and richen it up a bit. sounds like the desnorkling leaned her out just enough to give you a bang and a little hesitation. I'm no expert though

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 07/03/07 at 12:56:40

Five_Points wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
sounds like you need to adjust the mixture screw and richen it up a bit. sounds like the desnorkling leaned her out just enough to give you a bang and a little hesitation. I'm no expert though

Yup, I got by with just turning the idle mix out between 1/4 - 1/2 turn on my 87, but then I didn't drill out the Dyna muffler. The previous owner was right about the 80s bikes coming original with larger jets, and you should try the idle mix first before going deeper into the carb.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #7 - 07/03/07 at 22:03:19

jwirtz333 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hey did the desnorkeling and I think there definitely a little more power, but a little hard to tell.  Here's why:  There is a little more throttle hesitation, then before, and it backfires quite a bit more on the decel out of the muffler ( which is harley upgrade that is drilled out).  Had the upgrade on before the desnorkel and way less pop.  I have an 86 model, and the guy I bought it from said that these came with the bigger jet, so he said that I could just put a air pod on, and be ready to roll.

I not sure that's exactly accurate now.  It has always blown a little black if you rap it a in neutral, but I'm told that these should run a little rich anyway.  What would you suggest to go from here?

along with bigger jets, the 86 supposedly came with an adjustable needle.  Pull your carb and move the clip down one notch.  my 86 carb didn't have the adjustable needle, but it's retardedly screwed up by previous owners.

the black smoke from the exhaust, i'm guessing, isn't from the carb.  it's from the head.  the inside of my head is BLACK black and a bit flaky from running rich for god knows how long.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 07/04/07 at 06:17:41

You mention de-snorkling - how about putting a K&N flat filter in place and leaving off the air door.  That way air can come in from the side as well as the top.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 07/04/07 at 08:02:30

Oldfeller2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
You mention de-snorkling - how about putting a K&N flat filter in place and leaving off the air door.  That way air can come in from the side as well as the top.

Oldfeller

When I looked at the snorkel while it was in place, it appeared that it actually blocked part of the air filter.  Removing the snorkel takes away that hobble.  Just leaving the door off or swiss-cheesing it doesn't.  Also, I like the fact that the seat still blocks excess water/debris, etc.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
jwirtz333
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 07/04/07 at 21:36:39

I took the advice of turning out the air mixture screw to get rid of decel pop.  However,  I noticed that when I started it and tried to ride it, there was acceloration, but no power.  So I messed with the air screw a while, but didn't fix the problem.  So I pulled the seat, replaced the snorkel, changed the plug (thinking it was fouled), and reset the air screw to 3 turns.  Just to let you know the plug I pulle out was the hotter plug by NGK, but didn't have the -9 at the end.  I replaced it with a standard equivalent by Champion.

To make a long story short, didn't fix the problem.  Still backfires, but a little less.  Still accelorate, but NO POWER!!!!.  What could be wrong?  How do I fix this?

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/04/07 at 22:39:43

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 14:42:09 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 07/05/07 at 08:16:46

make sure you have no air leaks, either on intake or exhaust.

start the bike. spray some wd 40 or starting fluid near the carb mating points.  if the engine revs up a little, you have an intake leak.

a cigarette or other smoke source near the exhaust flanges will tell you if you have an exhaust leak.

make these checks and get back to us.

V

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #13 - 07/05/07 at 14:09:06

I'm having a terminology breakdown in this communication... How can you have acceleration with no power? To have strong acceleration requires that you have "power."  

I need a more clear description... Perhaps Dr_Jim is getting you right? Do you mean that it will take off good up to a point; then not rev on up its range with good power?

If so, his diagnosis is probably right: Sticky slide; jet needle/slide/vacuum diaphragm not assembled correctly...

Have you or anyone else been into the carb recently, and has it ever run completely well since you've had it?

Wonder what the reasoning was behind putting a "hot" plug in it? Man those things are just a hole in a piston waiting to happen.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #14 - 07/05/07 at 14:12:21

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
along with bigger jets, the 86 supposedly came with an adjustable needle.  Pull your carb and move the clip down one notch.  my 86 carb didn't have the adjustable needle, but it's retardedly screwed up by previous owners.

the black smoke from the exhaust, i'm guessing, isn't from the carb.  it's from the head.  the inside of my head is BLACK black and a bit flaky from running rich for god knows how long.

Yes, this is correct, the 80s bikes should have the adjustable jet needle. When I dis-assembled mine (87) it still had the clip and multiple ring settings on the needle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:23:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Emgo Air Filters

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.