Dial A Jet (Read 5 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Dial A Jet
06/25/07 at 15:14:59

What do our resident experts think of the Dial a Jet system.  Would this replace rejetting my carb in the future?. Your esteemed advice is very welcome.

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Dial A Jet
Reply #1 - 06/25/07 at 15:44:44

I wouldn't say replace though I might say enhance as it's supposed to make it more flexible and deliver the proper amount of fuel throughout the power band automatically.  You still need to jet it properly to work with the Dial-A-Jet, which is a size or two leaner than you would normally, I believe.  I am going to put one on my Amal Mk2 and see how it does.  I'll need to get some smaller jets first though.  Personally, I'm hoping it might give me more flexibility to run flex fuels but its range may not be enough to cover the difference in jetting requirements between gasoline and ethanol.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #2 - 06/25/07 at 16:06:50

I was thinking as I am running an '87 with the bigger jets and now have the Supertrap installed. I should in theory be running just a little lean. I intend to put a K & N airfilter in soon and I believe that would lean it out even more.   If I installed the Dial-A-Jet would that compensate for that upgrade. Would it improve performance any or even just make it more efficent.

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 06/26/07 at 04:52:27

I haven't yet used one.  I've only read about them and spoken with the folks at Thunder Products regarding my specific intended application.  I would suggest you give them a call.  Very nice folks.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #4 - 06/26/07 at 08:07:17

thanks for your help
Steve

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 06/26/07 at 09:09:55

Rob your >E10 test is different - IMHO in a normal situation leaning the jets down several sizes so this device can fix it seems to me to be on the side of:

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 06/26/07 at 11:04:38

For normal riding in an unchanging environment, I would tend to agree.  If your environment changes such that your mixture might be leaner or richer, it is supposed to automagically make up the difference (within limits) and you have a dial to change those ranges for larger changes too.  If that's not your situation, I don't see how much it would help anything.  Now, maybe if you like to experiment with a lot of different equipment and say... swap mufflers and/or air filters every couple of weeks (for whatever reason), it might save you the trouble of rejetting and retuning regularly.  I guess it could also make up the difference if you just ballpark tune it and then lean it up a bit, the dial-a-jet should round it out as needed... provided it works as claimed.  It that scenario, it basically an automatic fine-tuning.  That's how I understand its functionality anyway... but I'm a just tinkerer.

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 06/26/07 at 11:14:55

Quote:
if you like to experiment with a lot of different equipment and say... swap mufflers and/or air filters every couple of weeks (for whatever reason), it might save you the trouble of rejetting and retuning regularly.  I guess it could also make up the difference if you just ballpark tune it and then lean it up a bit, the dial-a-jet should round it out as needed... provided it works as claimed.  It that scenario, it basically an automatic fine-tuning.  That's how I understand its functionality anyway... but I'm a just tinkerer.

That was the primary reason I got one in the first place, constantly changing exhaust systems.  I find it works quite well, especially when combined with the UFO.  That makes a remarkable change in the low range and the DIJ taking care of the rest.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:28:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dial A Jet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.