Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Almost! So close, I can taste it (Read 11 times)
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Almost! So close, I can taste it
06/25/07 at 14:30:40

Yep, its me again... and yeah its been a while, lol. But I finally had half a day Saturday come open and I went to working on her again.

Last time, I put a new battery in, couldn't get it to start without using Ether. A little bit of ether and she'd run and idle but as soon as you tried to give her ANY gas, she'd bog down and fight and usually die. Then wouldn't start reliably without a shot of ether.

Well, this Saturday, I tore the carb apart, cleaned it out. Replaced the main and pilot jet. Put the main down in with the washer. Put the pilot jet down in and then to about 2.25 turns out. She won't start up without throttle and won't idle. I tried adjusting the idle screw on the throttle, and the other screw (what is that called? idle mixture screw? whatever the one that most people have to drill the cap off of). And ran out of time before I figured it out.

She runs only when giving throttle and will stay running even with the throttle wide open, but won't stay idling at all.

Ideas or suggestions? (Oh and the Main and Pilot jet are whatever are listed in the book as stock according to the dealer.. 155 and 65? I think he said)

http://www.bikepics.com/members/setral/87savage/
100% Stock, needs a little work and another bath
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Almost! So close, I can taste it
Reply #1 - 06/25/07 at 19:12:49

If you have a #65 pilot jet then you are WAY TO RICH on the low range.
Drop it down to no larger than a #55 and set the pilot air screw at 1.5 turns out.
Use that as your starting point and tune from there.

IP Logged
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 06/25/07 at 19:28:38

I just had a similar problem.  I upped my pilot jet from a #52.5 (stock) to #55.  I could start her up but aftera 1/4 mile or so it would die.  I returned to the original pilot jet and things are back to where they were before, still a bit sluggish at 1/8-1/4 throttle.  I mention this because I my original thought was that either the vacuum line or float level was off.  If everything is stock, and it ran before, have you checked the float level?  Maybe the float was jarred when you took apart the carb.  If it's stuck that might be your problem.  You also mentioned that you turn the pilot jet out 2.25 turns.  I think it's supposed to be tight.  Good luck.

IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #3 - 06/26/07 at 06:41:12

Again, I'm not sure on the Pilot Jet, I'll call the shop again to see what jet they found as the little credit card receipt I have doesn't have it. (Its the jet that was listed in the book).

So the pilot jet should be tight? If thats the case, then I clearly misunderstood the other posts I was reading. I thought people had mentioned the pilot jet was supposed to be unscrewed a little. (Can someone please clarify for me? pretty please? lol)

As for the floats, the float appeared to be fine before I closed it, infact I actually replaced the old float with a new float, the old one was horribly dirty to the point I thought it was heavier than it shoulda been. It appeared to move freely when I was putting the carb back together.

It hasn't "ran fine" in a very long time, because unfortunately she's had more garage time than ride time. (20 year old bike, less than 3800 original miles) had a tank of gas in her for at least 8 years, so lacquer and sediment from the tank rust set in, and thats what I had to clean out and why I just replaced the main and pilot jets. A month ago, as I mentioned it would idle with ether, but not throttle. Now it throttles but doesn't idle. Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/26/07 at 07:07:14

The jets are to be screwed down tight.

If anyone said anything turned out they were talking about the pilot circuit adjustment screw in equally uncertain terms.  excuse the crs.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/26/07 at 09:50:38

I just tore my carb apart a couple days ago, cleaned it, reassembled it exactly the way it was before, and now the bike won't start at all.

I'm just about to the point where I don't care to pursue clearing up that salvage title and just part the d@mn thing out. All in all, an excellent experience for a first bike...  Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/26/07 at 11:31:40

I know you're fustraited JK, take a deep breath and look at it again.  Got your manual in hand?  I'll assume you put it back together correctly, you'll have to check that your self.  Things that can happen, stuck float, unsealed slider, hoses in the wrong ports.

Tell us why you took it apart?

Got gas in the bowl?  put it on prime to fill it up?  open up the drain in the bowl does it flow?  clear or dirty?

WWW   IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/26/07 at 13:04:59

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I know you're fustraited JK, take a deep breath and look at it again.  Got your manual in hand?  I'll assume you put it back together correctly, you'll have to check that your self.  Things that can happen, stuck float, unsealed slider, hoses in the wrong ports.

Tell us why you took it apart?

Got gas in the bowl?  put it on prime to fill it up?  open up the drain in the bowl does it flow?  clear or dirty?

I pulled it apart mainly to clean it- the bike kept dying- low idle. The idle adjust screw was all boogered up (and the new one I ordered was completely wrong) There wasn't much varnish in the bowl and everyting seems to be flowing fine- the bowl fills up, the slide moves freely and I can hear the diaphragm making the same sound as before. However, when I pulled it off again on Monday, the spring loaded diaphram/valve on the side near the idle adjust screw had gas on the wrong side. It didn't appear to have any holes or anything in it- it may have just not seated right when I put it back together the first time. Regardless, however, it still won't start. Compression is good. Spark is good.

I miss Holley... She was easy to work with...

IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #8 - 06/26/07 at 13:17:05

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
The jets are to be screwed down tight.

If anyone said anything turned out they were talking about the pilot circuit adjustment screw in equally uncertain terms.  excuse the crs.   Grin

Thank you for the clarification that was exactly what kept confusing me. I kept seeing people mention that they put their pilot at 2.25 turns and I thought they were talking the jet.

So.... looks like I get to tear it apart again. Umm I did not replace the needle jet, since the main and pilot were so plugged and nasty, should I replace that one too? Any clue if its in the same price range? (under 10.. lol)

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 06/26/07 at 13:18:18

Setral wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Thank you for the clarification that was exactly what kept confusing me. I kept seeing people mention that they put their pilot at 2.25 turns and I thought they were talking the jet.

So.... looks like I get to tear it apart again. Umm I did not replace the needle jet, since the main and pilot were so plugged and nasty, should I replace that one too? Any clue if its in the same price range? (under 10.. lol)

I'd just drop the bottom off and tighten the jet, then put the bottom back on.  Then see how it does and take it from there.  Don't change too many things at once.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #10 - 06/26/07 at 13:27:32

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I'd just drop the bottom off and tighten the jet, then put the bottom back on.  Then see how it does and take it from there.  Don't change too many things at once.

lol doing just that will be a million times easier than removing the entire carb again, I hadn't thought of that. Removing the carb without removing everything else, is an adventure Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/26/07 at 15:09:02

Jets are $3 to $4 each, check the marketplace for a link.

WWW   IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 06/26/07 at 17:32:03

Make sure you have fresh gas and everyone should have an inline gas filter.

1987 Savage 100% stock and happy with that, owned it since it was BRAND NEW!
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 06/26/07 at 19:22:16

Setral wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
lol doing just that will be a million times easier than removing the entire carb again, I hadn't thought of that. Removing the carb without removing everything else, is an adventure Smiley

And if access is a little difficult, you can loosen the clamps and rotate the carb a bit.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/28/07 at 09:42:59

One other thing that no one has mentioned,the slide it self should be spotless, take it out and clean it with 600 grit emory paper,replace it with a very light coat of oil,try not to make any finger prints on it.
          good luck

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:29:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Almost! So close, I can taste it

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!