Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How do I remove the flywheel?? (with pics) (Read 275 times)
FollyRob
Ex Member

How do I remove the flywheel?? (with pics)
06/25/07 at 14:17:02

After dealing with the no-good rotten stealership and having them try to rip me off I decided to take on the project of changing the starter clutch myself. I consider myself quite mechanically inclined but this is my first motorcycle. I already have the new parts, a new starter clutch, idler gear, and gasket all from mrcycles.com. They were great to deal with and have good prices on OEM parts.

First I took off the left side peg and clutch in order to get to all of the bolts on the generator case. After that I removed the genny case and then on to the flywheel nut. This proved to be quite difficult to get off because whoever put it on last used quite a bit of loc-tite. However with two men and two four foot breaker bars we finally got it. Now I just need to get the flywheel off. But how? Can any of you gearheads on here help me out? Also, is there anything I should be prepared for or look out for when removing the starter clutch assembly and re-installing a new one? Any help would be appreciated and I included a photo for reference.

Also, if anyone has any parts they want to sell or just get rid of I am in need of one. The small gear attached to the starter motor (top middle of pic, it is kind of chopped off) on my bike is quite worn and I could use a new one. An OEM replacement is too expensive but do any of you have one used that is in good shape? Help with that would be appreciated too.

Thanks ahead of time! Once I figure this all out I'll do a step-by-step with pics in the technical section for everyone.

[/url][url][/url][url]

IP Logged
FollyRob
Ex Member

Re: How do I remove the flywheel?? (with pics)
Reply #1 - 06/25/07 at 19:15:24

Anyone?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #2 - 06/26/07 at 04:25:49

You're on the right track.
Now you got the flywheel nut bolt out you can screw it back in  and back-off a few threads.
To remove the flywheel ( Suzuki calls it the rotor) you need a special puller. The puller screws on the large thread just visable behind the large hexagon on the rotor.
The rotor has a woodruff-key to fix the position on the crankshaft.
Sorry can't be of much more help! Embarrassed

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 06/26/07 at 05:04:20

I know what I would like:
a flywheel at least twice as heavy as the standard OEM part.

My first motorcycles were Italian singles, a Ducati 450

and a Guzzi 500 Falcone,

and both were known for a heavier-than-average flywheel; the result was an engine that would idle at... 60 rpm  Cheesy and pull away smoothly from 1000 rpm  8)

The Savage, on the other hand, seems to have a very light flywheel, which may be very nice on a high-revving competition single, but is possibly a liability when cruising on twisty local roads

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/26/07 at 07:56:49

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 14:47:32 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/26/07 at 12:38:20

I made a puller out of a piece of 2" angle iron with two holes that match up to the rotor bolt holes and one in the center or you may be able to use a steering wheel puller...

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 06/26/07 at 13:38:56

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I know what I would like:
a flywheel at least twice as heavy as the standard OEM part.

My first motorcycles were Italian singles, a Ducati 450
http://www.ducatiscrambler.com/infotecniche/SCR-1serie.jpg

Back when I was 12, that 450cc model Ducati was the bike of my dreams. The only motorcycle I'd ridden to that point was a 250cc Ducati Diana (capable of over 100mph)!

A year later I was actually legally licensed to ride a Honda CL-90 with a factory  5HP restriction plate.

As for "pullers" I've built all but two I've ever owned for myself. The two I bought would have required that I buy thread dies more expensive than the puller I would have built. I've always done things the least expensive way possible... With a few rare exceptions. A couple of examples: I don't roof houses, and I don't do car/truck exhaust systems.

IP Logged
FollyRob
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/27/07 at 14:38:08

Ok, I can go ahead and make a puller out of 2" angle iron but what in the heck do I do with it once I have made it? I understand how to make it but how is it used?? Do I need any other hardware?

IP Logged
FollyRob
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/28/07 at 14:46:00

does anyone know? or possibly know of other ways to get the thing off? I am ready to ride this bike and this is the only thing holding me up!

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 06/28/07 at 14:51:39

do you have a service manual?  going that far itnot he engine w/o one isn't a good idea.

IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #10 - 06/28/07 at 16:36:14

Um...I didn't have to remove the flywheel to replace the starter clutch.. ..so you may be overdoing it.  But if you have to do the removal.....well...good luck without the puller.  try and rent one....?  and have fun replacing the clutch discs too...hope you have the whole clutch assembly

IP Logged
FollyRob
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/29/07 at 15:20:16

I have the whole starter clutch assembly. How in the heck would you replace the starter clutch without removing the flywheel/rotor? The starter clutch is right behind the flywheel!  I just need to figure out how exactly to make that puller tool and how to use it once I have made it.

IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #12 - 06/29/07 at 18:50:50

Pull on the starter clutch.  it slides out.  I had to find the "right" spot/rotation of the rotor/flywheel.  It is a tight fit.  First pull on the clutch out, then rotate the rotor, pulling on the clutch outwards.  it should pop out.

IP Logged
FollyRob
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/30/07 at 07:27:25

That doesn't make any sense to me.

IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #14 - 06/30/07 at 17:52:17

you have the clutch behind the large rotor thing.  but there is still space between the two.  The only thing holding the clutch in place is the cover (which you removed).  so just take hold of the little clutch and pull.  it will stop because you hit the large rotor thing.  then start rotating the large rotor thing while pulling on the clutch at an upward 45 degree angle.  It worked for me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 04:52:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How do I remove the flywheel?? (with pics)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.