Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tire Life? (Read 5 times)
Dog_Folks
Ex Member

Tire Life?
06/25/07 at 07:00:06

Greetings all,

We just stepped up to the lightweight Savage.  We have his and hers 2007 model year.  Great bikes.  In many ways, they have brought back the "fun" of riding a bike.

After many years of riding heavyweight bikes (Harley), we expected about 10 K miles from the tires.  No burnouts, etc.  Just typical riding.

Can we expect anything different from the S-40?   Maybe more due to the lighter weights?

Thanks for your input.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: Tire Life?
Reply #1 - 06/25/07 at 07:14:22

Expect alot less than 10k on the stock tires. I replaced my stock rear tire with about 7k miles on it and that was really pushing it. It was really bald. The stock front tire is still going strong with over 8k on it but will probably not make it through the summer. I replaced the rear with a dunlop 404 and will use the same tire on the front when the time comes.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #2 - 06/25/07 at 07:52:02

Welcome Dog_Folks

I got my 96 used with 6500 miles and the previous owner had already put new Dunlop 404s on it. I've put another 11K so far on the Dunlops and they are still in good condition (not at the wear bars yet). I mostly commute city streets to work, and some 2 up on weekends, and I ride it pretty easy. So yes, I think over 10K is very likely with better tires than the stock ones.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 06/25/07 at 09:15:54

Use the search feature and you will find lots of posts on tire life and selection. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/25/07 at 10:19:30

I experienced the joy of changing my own tires last week- actually just the front one. I think I lost about ten pounds while getting the bead over the rim- it's so dry here lately, the soapy water evaporated after about 20 seconds.

Luckily, the thing needed no additional balancing- checked it several times 'cause I couldn't believe it. I haven't really worked up the drive to put the rear one on yet. It seems it would be a bit easier, though, being a wider rim- more room for the first bead to get out of the way of the second...

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #5 - 06/25/07 at 20:33:40

The stock rear tire on my 2002 lasted 3500 miles, the front lasted 5000 miles. These tires were junk. I changed to Metzlers from Tires Unlimited. These are holding up much better.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/26/07 at 02:02:05

I should have changed the rear long before the 5,000 miles I stretched it to. The front made it to 12,000, but was so cupped up it made trying to run thru long sweepers like riding a drunk cow. You are well aware of the differences in riding style & the resultant tire life differences. I could get twice the mileage I get, but I might as well drive a car if I am gonna ride like that. I dont reall know how much of the rear wear is caused by acceleration, but I am sure I scrape a bit of rubber off during hard downshifting. I got 5,000 on a Maxxiss & 3, 000 on another Maxxiss, same model. Next one is a Dunlop 404, I think I could get 6 or 7 K easy enough if I would just quit playing hard in corners & running on  things & slowing down as fast as I can.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 06/26/07 at 05:35:54

I've got nearly 7K miles on my Dunlop 491's with lots of tread to go.  I haven't been particularly hard on them; mostly a mix of suburban and freeway riding with the occasional country roads when I can get time.  I rarely do a lot of heavy leaning but sometimes it just feels good.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
pa.storm
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/26/07 at 15:36:33

I got just over 10k on the stock tires on my '01. Put another IRC on the rear and about 5k miles later its showing the wear.  I might have about another 1k left on them. Undecided  I also moved from PA to WV after the change so the difference in the roads down here might be to blame.

IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 06/27/07 at 16:23:19

Although my tires were still pretty good in 2003 I switched over to Metzler tires front and rear.

I have run the Metzlers over 12,000 kms so far and the treads are about half gone.

I am a big fan of Metzlers - I use them on three of my bikes and have been 100% satisfied both the the tread wear and the handling characteristics.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #10 - 06/27/07 at 17:44:08

I have 5700 on my 06 S40 with the factory tires, and the front still looks great.  The back is still in good condition, and I expect it to last at least another couple of K's.  I do a lot of highway riding also, but I am a conservative rider, moderate excelleration and braking, and there is nothing like a good twisty, but I still ride conservative.  Did I mention also I live in South Mississippi.  Also would you believe I still have the little rubber threads hanging on both tires.
Shocked Shocked

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/27/07 at 19:08:40

Those little rubber threads that poke out are worn out first toward the center of the tire. More gradually, toward the outter edges. As riders lean harder into turns, the outter "Threads" are worn off. Since it takes a bit of bravery & or experience to lean hard enough to wear the outtermost threads off, & since a "Chicken" wont lean that far, they are called"Chicken Strips". I can get the outside strip on the front tire, but there is no chikkin strip on the rear.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #12 - 06/27/07 at 19:38:39

OK OK, so I'm a chicken.  But I still enjoy riding just the same.   Grin Grin Grin 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/28/07 at 07:07:26

OOOps, amazing what a missing letter does, I can'T get the outside one on the front. I can on the rear. I just dont get geometry. Some of these guys can explain how & why a bike turns & why narrower tires make it handle better. Me? Uh uhhh, I just celebrate surviving the corners. Dont let anyone ever make ya feel like you need more lean or you arent riding. In another forum I hang out in, a guy is taking his bike to a track to run & not be afraid of a ticket & be able to go as fast as he dares. The advice he got that I thought was most intelligent was to not race anyone but himself & leave the ego at home. I sure wasnt trying to do more than explain what chikkin strips are, not to try to get anyone to wear theirs off.

I Have seen a corner speed get better when I actually leaned less, so lean isnt all there is to making good time in a corner.

It's your sandbox, play the way that makes you happy.  Wink

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #14 - 06/28/07 at 07:45:00

Oh I know.  I have my comfort zone and that is where I ride.   You can feel it when your comfort zone starts getting pushed to the limit.  Also my comment about being a chicken was only in fun.
Smiley

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:26:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire Life?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.