Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bad petc0ck (Read 0 times)
bduff
YaBB Newbies

bad petc0ck
06/24/07 at 13:56:19

I have a bad bedc0ck,  I have the new part but i also have a full tank of gas.  I am running the bike in PRI with the vac. tube for the carb and petc0ck blocked off with rubber caps.  The question  I have is can i do any damage to the engine running it this way until i get the gas down to near empty.  before every ride i turn the petc0ck to pri,  and after every ride i shut it off (on).

1987 Savage 100% stock and happy with that, owned it since it was BRAND NEW!
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: bad petc0ck
Reply #1 - 06/24/07 at 13:59:48

bduff wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I have a bad bedc0ck

TMI!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 06/24/07 at 14:29:43

lol

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #3 - 06/24/07 at 15:21:34

That sounds right, use PRI to run it down to empty b4 you pull the tank.

ON or RES will stop the flow of gas when it's not running. (or when the vac line is blocked off)

how much was the new part?

mine is intermittant, shuts off in first 5 miles, more often in cold weather, I'm ready for a new one, rather not mess with that mod idea.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 06/24/07 at 15:54:10

$60  from the stealership

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 06/24/07 at 18:18:02

No damage running the engine on PRI, however if the carb float doesn't seat well, you'll end up with gas in the crankcase if the diaphram is leaky...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Homey237
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 06/24/07 at 19:38:19

Quick question on replacing the petcock.  How/why did you replace it in the first place ?  Was it leaking, did the fuel not flow, etc. ?

I'm still getting "jerking" outta my wifes '96 Savage and I took it to the dealer to look at.  He adjusted the belt he said was missing a cog while driving, but could not find anything wrong after that.

He put in some gas stabilizer/cleaner but I'm not sure it's going to do anything.  I'm wondering what my next plan of attack should be if I can't get it to stop.

Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/24/07 at 19:56:17

Carb cleaner is a good first step.  I suspect it could use a full cleaning.

Pull the vacuum line, the one on the right side of the carb with wire wrapped around it and check it for gas.  It should be dry.

Try it in prime.  This allows fuel to go the carb weather the engines running or not.  So be sure to put it back to run when you turn it off.  If this solves the problem, either you have a bad petc0ck or a leaky vac line.

Replace the vac line and pull the petc0ck and check the screen for obstruction.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 06/25/07 at 08:21:46

Quick question on replacing the petthingy.  How/why did you replace it in the first place ?  Was it leaking, did the fuel not flow, etc. ?

I am going to replace the petc0ck because it flooded my crankcase with gas,  the diaphram failed on the petcock allowing fuel to constantly flow.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #9 - 06/25/07 at 15:06:31

Homey, your problem initially sounds like very lean low RPM setup, but more info would be good...if I'm correct the white spacer mod should solve your problem.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
The_Hammer
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/26/07 at 12:47:59

I ran into this problem several times over the time I had my two old suzuki gs bikes.  Just grab a cheap fuel line hose from the auto parts store, attach it, turn to prime, and drain into a gas can.  the tanks arent that big, a 2 gallon can will probably do it.  Then put the gas into your old lawn mower when you are done.  The gas into the crankcase is a real possibility, and so is fuel leaking onto the hot engine if you put too much gas into the carb.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/27/07 at 10:04:20

Draining the tank into a gas can is no sweat. Using the fuel line on the bike is easy enough. It's no big deal to hold a gas can & let the tank drain, or get somehting to set the gas can on. Stay there & watch it. Wont take long. Then drop the PetDookickey & replace it. I would save it, do the mod & have it ready if the new one doesnt work forever.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 07/05/07 at 19:19:12

I have a bad bedc0ck,  I have the new part but i also have a full tank of gas.  I am running the bike in PRI with the vac. tube for the carb and petc0ck blocked off with rubber caps.  The question  I have is can i do any damage to the engine running it this way until i get the gas down to near empty.  before every ride i turn the petc0ck to pri,  and after every ride i shut it off (on).

Been runnin' mine this way for a year now.  The only way you can get into trouble is if you forget to turn the petc0ck to a non-PRIME position when shutting down the engine AND the needle valve is leaky.

As an old school biker, I've got no problems remembering to properly configure the petc0ck when I shut off the engine.

TEHO.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 07/05/07 at 22:27:40

Hope you run out of gas somewhere near the new bedcock and a good screwdriver and a gallon can of gas!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 07/07/07 at 20:24:11

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hope you run out of gas somewhere near the new bedcock and a good screwdriver and a gallon can of gas!

Yeah, there's that too.  Admittedly, my Savage is used for errands, a strictly urban mission.

I'm never far from a gas station.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:42:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bad petc0ck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.