Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
We'll see if the GZ250 tank fits... (Read 113 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: We'll see if the GZ250 tank fits...
Reply #15 - 06/29/07 at 00:04:13

Got the GZ250 tank in today. Like I said, once I got 15 minutes this evening to mess with it, that's all it took to assess the situation.

Put simply: It's not looking good. The first and most obvious problem I had already anticipated:

The rear mounting tabs are a bit farther apart on the back of the GZ250 tank.

That's only a minor hassle if you have the right tools to move them. I have the cutoff wheel, and skill to use it. What I don't have is a welder to put them back on with. I'm tired of mooching little favors from  my welder neighbor, even though I do offer to pay him, and have taken them dinner over to make it up... but I still get tired of asking. So... since I keep coming up with welding jobs I really need to break down and get their son to teach me how to use the plasma torch and TIG weld. I'm pretty darn good with a stick, MIG and even old gas welding, and cut like a pro with a gas torch, but this new plasma and TIG stuff is beautiful. Real art when done well. I may have to trade some work for some training and the use of their equipment to learn enough on to be able to make an informed purchase.

Anyways... back to the tank... It is certainly not going to be and easy bolt-on fit. Besides having to move the rear mounting tabs, the location of the front brackets that hold the tank's rubber isolation pads is way off. I mean WAY off. Besides sticking out about 3/4" or so too far on each side due to the more narrow tunnel on the GZ250 tank; they need moved up and forward several inches. It is hard to tell exactly, but here is a look from standing over the tank looking down:

Understand what you are looking at: You are standing over the bike's seat, and setting the tank on, like you are installing it. You are looking up-side-down into the tunnel and seeing that the bolts which the rubber tank mounts slip onto are way too long to allow the tank to be installed.

Just for those whose minds don't do "up-side-down" here is a picture straight down the main frame rail. You can orient yourself by seeing my chrome o-ring foot pegs down there in the background.
You are looking down the frame. Notice how far off the mounts for the rubber tank snubbers are. Not even a close fit as is, but I'm convinced it can be made to fit well. Eventually, we'll see! I think the rounder "Mustang" style tand might look good on the Savage.

Even once those hurdles are jumped, then the bottom of the tank will need to fit:

And once positioned over the things it will have to clear:

I'm hopeful, once all the mounting is repositioned well, that the bottom will fit good. Most of the stuff mounted on the mainframe backbone can be moved around a bit to allow the tunnel to fit without a lot of hammer work. Other hopeful good news... The  rear mounting bracket seems to have a natural rise to it; which I would try to keep, and also, the petc0ck hole looks like it might be in good position for the stock vacuum petc0ck, which I prefer to keep.

All in all, what with having to relocate the speedo and other instrument stuff, it looks like the project might be of questionable advantage for the approx. 1 gallon gain involved. I'm not even sure which bike the tank may end up on eventually, but for now I'm riding the 99 chopper most of the time, so the old 87 will be used as the 'fit-up' bike.

Oh... since I've got the tank, I'm sure I'll follow through on setting it up for a Savage before too long... maybe this winter?

If there is one thing that I'm really happy with about buying this tank (again, for too much money) it is that it has really pointed out my need to buy a decent budget welder/plasma torch, and learn how to use it. With that in hand there are lots of other jobs I'd like to tackle.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #16 - 06/29/07 at 05:16:39

Have you given any thought to an adapter plate to go from the rear mounting tabs to the frame bracket? Might be easier (better?) than trying to move the tabs (which look like they would have to be replaced with a different design in that case. The adapter would require four bolts rather than two, but would give you the option of two tanks that would fit without modification (to the back anyhow  Tongue )

IP Logged
The_Hammer
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 06/29/07 at 10:19:35

Hey John,

Is this your tank on ebay, or just a pic for comparison?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-LS650-SAVAGE-GAS-TANK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQ...

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #18 - 06/29/07 at 10:50:47

The Harley tank I used has only one hole at the rear for the mounting bolt. What I did was run a single bolt up through the middle of the mounting plate that's on the frame with a nut to hold it in place. Then I used a second nut with a washer above it to set the height for the back of the tank to rest on. Then there's another nut with a washer under it to hold the tank down in place. Then the front tab on the V-Star seat fits under the back of the tank. I did make a notch in the seat tab so the seat could slide a bit farther forward.

I agree with the above idea. Just make a small plate to bolt to the mounting holes at the rear of your tank. Then, either use one bolt down the middle like I did, or drill the plate to take two bolts. I've found the single center bolt works just fine and is the easiest for adjusting the front of seat level/angle.

Jack

IP Logged
Peter-the-blacksmith
YaBB Newbies

Choppers for life !

Finland
Reply #19 - 08/22/07 at 11:30:01

Speedo wires universal extensions are not hard to find, and there are several aftermarket speedos (with trip-meters!!) with indication lights built in, that can be put on the handlebar. Thus one can use a tankbag on longer trips Cheesy
I put the tank from a Kawasaki VN 750 on my bike. Fits with minor modifications, but I wanted even more volume, so I cut the bottom of the tank out, and welded in a new one, now I have 15 liter capacity, almost 300 kilometers 8) I have also helped a friend to put on a Kawasaki Drifter 800 tank, we did the same operation, it takes 18 liters Grin Grin...and the Savage fuel tap fits on both models Wink
I'll put in some pictures when I get the time.
Oh, the stupid flimsy bits of chrome on top of the cylinder has to go, most likely, when you fit a bigger tank, but that is only good - you get straight access to the sparkplug Grin

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:30:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › We'll see if the GZ250 tank fits...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.