Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
We'll see if the GZ250 tank fits... (Read 113 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
We'll see if the GZ250 tank fits...
06/21/07 at 12:09:44

I did a bit of searching, and it seems we never came up with a definitive answer on how easily the larger capacity GZ250 tank would fit a Savage.

Guess I'm going to guinea pig this one. I just bought one for too much money, but I'm tired of the 100 mile gas stops; reaching for reserve when moving, and I'm not crazy about taking my eyes off the road to look at my speedometer either. So... When it arrives, I'll know in about 15 minutes if it's going to be real easy, or just how much work it looks to be.

I did search up a good thread by Jack_650 on moving the speedometer, and availability of a substitute tach cable that will make for a new, longer speedo cable. I'd have liked to do the 5-gallon Harley tank as in that thread, but that would have been even more money and trouble I figured. Maybe this way will be an easy bolt-on extra gallon, and gauges up where I like them.

I'll report back later on this one...

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Re: We'll see if the GZ250 tank fits...
Reply #1 - 06/21/07 at 19:00:19

Hey somebodies got to try it and you are the man John !

If it works this will be probably one of the best mods we will have for the Savage. By the way how big is the GZ250 tank ?

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 06/22/07 at 08:35:36

ausmerican wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Hey somebodies got to try it and you are the man John !

If it works this will be probably one of the best mods we will have for the Savage. By the way how big is the GZ250 tank ?

Oh... About this <---------> much bigger than a Savage  tank Wink

But seriously, it looks to be only slightly larger than the Savage tank, but I think most of the extra capacity is in the different shape and lack of speedo hole. To my eye, the Savage has a more sloped in "Sportster" style, and the GZ250 is shaped more round and bulbous like the old school "Mustang" tanks. Besides that there is the aforementioned Speedo hole taking up fuel space.

IIRC, the difference is 2.4 gal. vs 3.7 gal. An honest gallon+ change. Increasing range from 80-100 to 100-150 would mean a lot to me. My average joy ride is 40-50 miles, and I get tired of having to stop for gas every other time I leave the house. Like I said, the nice looking 5 gal. conversion is real tempting, but I couldn't find one with a tunnel that would fit the Suzuki without extreme modification. I'm hoping this is going to go easy; without using the ball peen hammer or welder much or any. Wink

Added Pictures:
GZ250

Savage

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/22/07 at 09:33:02

gz250=3.7gal/3.4 calif. model
ls650/s40=2.8gal

I'd do it for a gallon.

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 06/22/07 at 11:19:41

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
gz250=3.7gal/3.4 calif. model
ls650/s40=2.8gal

Thanks for the exact info, I was being lazy... Wink

Quote:
I'd do it for a gallon.

Obviously I would too... Lets all hope it goes real easy!
I've already noticed that the bolt pattern on the rear bracket of the GZ250 seems to be spread a little bit further apart. Also, someone in an old thread I searched mentioned the possibility of the seat not matching up well.

But I'm pretty determined to have that extra gallon. So unless it turns out to be a major PITA, I'll find the easiest possible way to do it, and make it look acceptable.

I was looking at a 5 Gallon $175 (with shiping) custom Mustang style chopper tank on eBay, but of course it had the typical tunnel which doesn't have the "Y" in the frame under the tank like our bikes (and the GZ250):

At least LOOKS like it shouldn't be a tough fit huh? ... We'll see about that soon enough! I may fit this up to the old 87 first, since I just got the 99 all legal, comfortable, and serviced up good. The 87 is sitting aside without bars on it and needing a few small hardware items anyways.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #5 - 06/22/07 at 19:44:29

Great, I asked about this very mod on an earlier thread. Now we will all find out.
Keep us informed on progress RJ.  Cheesy

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Homey237
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 06/22/07 at 19:53:08

Well, I'm confused......

Suzuki puts a 3.7 gallon tank on a 250cc bike but only a 2.8 gallon tank on a 650cc bike.......

And they call me stupid !

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #7 - 06/22/07 at 20:25:09

I don't get it either !!! makes no sense ?????? Grin

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/22/07 at 21:40:06

Homey237 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Well, I'm confused......

Suzuki puts a 3.7 gallon tank on a 250cc bike but only a 2.8 gallon tank on a 650cc bike.......

And they call me stupid !

That was Funny Homey..

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #9 - 06/23/07 at 06:32:23

I've wondered if the tank would fit for awhile. Lead the way Rockin John.

IP Logged
Windrider
YaBB Newbies

I KNEW I shoulda
turned left at
Albuquerque!!!

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Reply #10 - 06/23/07 at 08:31:32

I've been wondering if there was some other tank option but I'm still wrestling with the seat issues. I can't wait to see if the 250 tank works!

'98 Aztec Orange, Windshield, Seat Lift, Supertrapp, Sigma BC1106 for Trip Odometer/Gas Guage, Suzuki Saddlebags, Feildsheer Bags for Long Trips
SouthrnX   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #11 - 06/23/07 at 21:43:21

If you're up to doing a little body/dent repair work to get a bigger tank try what I did. I went to the Harley dealer and asked about dented tanks that had been removed for insurance repair work. That's how I ended up with the five gallon softail tank. A little JB Weld, a bit of patient sanding and some paint and you're good for 200+ miles per tank full. I got my tank with one dent in the left side for $50.00.

I powder coated mine, but wouldn't do it again on that kind of repair job. The different thicknesses in the metal and the JB product made it impossible to get things to be perfectly even. Different heating and cooling rates gave the guys at the shop I used nightmares and headaches. Next time it's the old rattle can approach that was documented here a week or so ago.

Jack

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #12 - 06/23/07 at 22:29:14

Hey Jack, Glad you kicked in here... Eventually I'll probably need the part number to that tach cable you substituted for a longer speedo cable.

I would have gone with a bigger tank, but every one I looked at had a narrow frame tunnel at the back, and would have to been highly modified to sit down on the Savage frame; and I don't currently own the welding gear to do good fabrication. Otherwise the tank gets left standing up high like on the bikepics pictures of yours.

One thing that may help me fit things eventually, is that I don't care if I keep the pillion seat. Or the stock rear fender for that matter. I hope to fit a solo seat somewhat like your front seat in those pics.

But one thing at a time for now... First this tank, and see if the range suits me. If not, I'll already have my instruments moved, and can take another look at bigger tanks.

IP Logged
Windrider
YaBB Newbies

I KNEW I shoulda
turned left at
Albuquerque!!!

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Reply #13 - 06/24/07 at 04:44:03

Does the softail tank have the "Y" shape in the bottom that matches the bottom of the two 'Zuki tanks?

'98 Aztec Orange, Windshield, Seat Lift, Supertrapp, Sigma BC1106 for Trip Odometer/Gas Guage, Suzuki Saddlebags, Feildsheer Bags for Long Trips
SouthrnX   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 06/24/07 at 09:10:32

The softail tank has a channel down the middle underneath just as the stock 650 tank does. The bolt hole at the rear lines up with the rear bolt on the Savage as well. The problem (if you call it that) is that the channel doesn't widen at the back. Since the tank is deeper the rear of the tank sits about 3" or so higher than the stock tank. I had already raised the front fo the seat an inch and a half so I was already half way there. To get all the wiring, cable and different items moved around under the tank it's good to have the extra room at the back of the tank to work with.

I didn't want to give up the rear seat (yet) which made the back of the V-Star seat I use in front sit higher still. Now my front seat is about 3"-4" higher all around than the stock seat. I don't like the feel of sitting up that much higher than the original feel of the bike had quite as well. This summer I'm looking into making the rear seat an inch or so shorter on the front of it so's I can get the back of the front seat to drop down closer to the frame. Then, of course, the front of the seat will have to end up being lowered another inch or so. Then I'll be looking at having my privates risk sliding into the rear of the Hawg tank 'cause there's no way to get it to go lower. There's always something.

As to the speedo cable parts number. I haven't a clue. I went to the cycle salvage yard and Bob, the guy who knows where/what everything in the place is, suggested that the cable we came up with would work. It's the tach cable off of an older (80's) Suzuki 3 cyl. bike of some sort. It's a direct hook-up cable. Both ends screw right in and it's plenty long enough to let you put the stock speedo wherever you want to on the bars.

If you get to where you want to move the original speedo up there I can put up a step by step of what I did. It turned out pretty nicely if I do say so myself. Or rather, will if I'm ever satisfied that I'm done tinkering with it.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:29:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › We'll see if the GZ250 tank fits...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.