Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windshields (Read 12 times)
DanGill

Windshields
06/21/07 at 08:58:10

I'm new to this. I just bought a 2006 S40 after over 25 years on four wheels. The bike had the small Suzuki windshield, which seems a little inadequate to me. I'm 6' 0", and I'm getting a lot of wind noise and helmet buffeting. The little shield does keep the wind off my chest, but that's all.

What windshields have you had experience with? I intend to commute on this bike, and I'd like to have more coverage, even the handgrips. I like the look of the Slipstream Falcon and the Hellfire.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Windshields
Reply #1 - 06/21/07 at 09:16:03

You can do a couple of things, raise it, lower it or buy a new one.

You can lower it, the helmet buffeting occurs in a narrow band just above the windshield.  If you lower if a few inches the buffeting occurs at the neck which aides ventilation in your helmet.   Grin

If you raise it to just below eye level the buffeting will be over head.

I have a memphis demon and I'm 6'.  I'm confortable up until 70 or until a head wind kicks up.  In which case I duck a little sport bike style.

WWW   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #2 - 06/21/07 at 10:07:46

If it is the windshield made for the S40 by Suzuki, I do not think you can raise it because of the way it attaches to the forks.  It can only go up so high.  Take a look at where it is mounted to see if it is as high as it will go.  I have one on my 06 S40 also, but I am 5'10", and it isn't that bad for me.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
mclay
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/22/07 at 03:08:32

Hey Dan,

You and I are the same height....and I experienced the same problems with the stock shield.  

You might want to consider shaving the stock shield down to "fly screen" dimensions.  You can still keep the original mounts (although I'd take them off temporarily when cutting).  I'd say my shield is now around 10-11 inches tall....more rounded looking, almost like a mini-police type shield.  The beauty of this mod is you can make the screen any shape you want....I wasn't particularly fond of the trapezoidal shape of the stock screen.  

Tips and tricks if you decide to do this:

Mount some adhesive backed velcro strips (softer material) to the bottom of a hand-held jig saw to avoid scratching the shield.

Line your shop table with a towel as well.

Use a quick release clamp with rubber ends and essentially work your way around the shield in small increments using the saw....basically clamp, saw a small section, unclamp, rotate and repeat.

A couple various hand files will work for smoothing out any rough edges.

Don't forget the most important tool....a sharpie for drawing your new shape....washes off with a small amount of acetone (be careful though).

I'm much happier with the shaved screen....no more buffeting.  I still get the benefit of less pressure on the chest though.  

This may seem like alot of trouble, but it's cheaper than buying a whole new shield and trying to sell the old one.

-mclay

IP Logged
Mister_Breeze
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 06/23/07 at 03:54:17

I put the stock shield on the wifes 06 also and am not that happy with it either. We are having the same problems as you speak of, and there really is no adjustment to speak of with the fork mount. Not even close to being "nose high" for the wife and she's only 5' 1".

I'm thinking of getting a piece of Lexon and cutting my own and still try to keep the stock fork brackets, so it wasn't a total waste.

I see a lot on ebay for under $100 new, but am afraid of getting another piece I don't need.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 06/23/07 at 06:05:32

Quote:
Not even close to being "nose high" for the wife and she's only 5' 1".  

Do you mean the shield itself is nose high, or the wind flow is nose high, or something else?

My shield is just below neck high and it directs airflow to the top of my helmet at around 60 mph...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
SpeedyG
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Virginia
Reply #6 - 06/23/07 at 09:37:13

Hi,

I have a new S40 with the Suzuki shield.  I'm only 5'4" and sometimes wish I had a taller shield, but I like the look of this smaller shield and it sure does make a difference on the chest than no shield at all.

I know Memphis Shades makes a bunch of handle-bar mount shields.  Might want to check them out.

Colleen

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #7 - 06/23/07 at 13:35:40

Well, I'm definitely going to replace it eventually. I took it off today to try the bike without it, and while the buffeting is a little less, I did miss the coverage. I don't want to shave it down, because I want more coverage for the cooler months, not less. And a friend dropped my back and scratched the top of it today. He's a rider, but he never learned not to park the bike in neutral with the nose pointed downhill.  Shocked

He's still my friend, though.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/24/07 at 04:55:01

I have a little Givi mini on the Guzzi. I can hardly tell the difference in wind at 60 or 100. Its just hitting my arms & mid face on up & the little thing doesnt hardly stick up 10 inches over the handlebars. Its $100.00 I thnk. Ill try to find the receipt so I can give model # & price. I will also look( first) & see if it will mount on the Savage. OOps, I have S40, So, I can look at that,

IP Logged
Mister_Breeze
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 06/24/07 at 05:46:29

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Do you mean the shield itself is nose high, or the wind flow is nose high, or something else?

My shield is just below neck high and it directs airflow to the top of my helmet at around 60 mph...

I would like the shield to be about "nose high". When I ordered the suzuki OEM, I just saw the height and thought it would be enough, but it's not. Probably 15" from the bars would be ok but not from the forks. Another thing is the newer S40 has the drag style bars and have been wondering how these aftermarket shields work out with that too.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 06/24/07 at 09:05:59

The top of my windshield probably reaches just below my lower lip in height and seems to be perfect for me.  The wind just catches the top of my helmet (above the visor).  It's a National Cycle Dakota NC125A and was on my bike when I bought her (shown below, not on an LS650).  Below that is how it looks on my Savage.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #11 - 06/24/07 at 10:26:16

I'm sure this isn't what your after, but I like this setup:

http://bikepics.com/pictures/438793/

Saw a nice Intruder 1400 with a sprt style windshield that I really liked too, but can't find the photo on the 'net.

jjn

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 06/24/07 at 13:42:31

here's my take on windshields

windshields, like mag wheels belong on a cage.   Shocked

never had one, never will.  i've ridden for 35years and have never even thought of one.  the times i've ridden others machines with one i got much more helmet buffeting than sans windshield.

aw,  just my opinion, and everybody knows what opinions are like.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
ladyonasavage
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/24/07 at 14:54:41

I had the windscreen on mine (I'm only 5 feet tall), it wasn't sufficient.  My hubby decided I needed a new one and bought the Memphis Slim and mounted the brackets on backwards to make it tip back towards me more.  It worked great!  I can now ride without my head getting blown off.  It was a bit pricey, but it was worth it for the comfort.  Now I need a new seat so my bum doesn't hurt so much! Angry
Mister_Breeze wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I put the stock shield on the wifes 06 also and am not that happy with it either. We are having the same problems as you speak of, and there really is no adjustment to speak of with the fork mount. Not even close to being "nose high" for the wife and she's only 5' 1".

I'm thinking of getting a piece of Lexon and cutting my own and still try to keep the stock fork brackets, so it wasn't a total waste.

I see a lot on ebay for under $100 new, but am afraid of getting another piece I don't need.

IP Logged
Mister_Breeze
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - 06/25/07 at 02:23:45

Very good news !

What year is your bike please and the size of the windshield?

Thanks !

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:19:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshields

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.