Supertrapp Muffler (Read 22 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Supertrapp Muffler
06/20/07 at 22:26:58

I just bought but have not yet received a Supertrapp muffler for my bike. It came off another Savage. Mine is an '87 so if nothing has been changed from stock the main jet should be a 155. Do you think I will see any performance increase just by putting it on or will I need to rejet or replace the carb to make a difference?. Either way it should sound better
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Supertrapp Muffler
Reply #1 - 06/21/07 at 03:37:08

Steve, I ran my 02 savage with a supertrapp, a K@N air filter and stock jetting.  It had  tons more pull and power than with the stock exhaust. It also made the bike sound like a real motorcycle instead of a lawn mower. Not as deep or throaty as a Harley but close. The instructions with the supertrapp says to run it with stock jetting unless your going to be using more than 8 discs. It ran fine this way, with no backfiring at all anymore. Last week Gregg D changed my pilot and main jet to a 155 and it even has more power now and stronger pull from 60 to 70 plus. Im still running only 8 discs.  Id run it stock for a while and see how it runs first before rejetting. Also run it on the rich side and the bluing on the single walled exhaust will be at a minumum. 26,000 miles and the supertrapp is a light golden color and no discoraltion at all on the exhaust pipe.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 06/21/07 at 04:32:20

With a 155, I'm thinking you'll have to retune/adjust but not rejet.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/21/07 at 10:13:28

My Trapp has 14 baffles on it. Running a 152.5 main, stock pilot on an 05 model. It is finally acting like it may be just about right. Its been rich for a long time. Now, when I slam the throttle shut I sometimes get a small Boof. I am considering going to a 150 main & pulling baffles if needed to ballance the thing a bit more to the lean side. Its very close now. I am in East Tx, Longview, & cant remember the elevation, but it is a factor, so get to factorin! Good luck, I think you will like the sound of that Trapp.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 06/21/07 at 10:40:31

I was very similar with my MAC when I had the stock carb installed.  The overall feel of the bike with the 152.5 and 155 were the same but the mileage was worse with the 155.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #5 - 06/23/07 at 11:55:49

got my Super trap yesterday, put it on this morning sounds much better, Not sure if there is any performance increase yet. Just enjoying the sound right now.

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/23/07 at 22:18:18

Some day I will remember to run some time trials before I do any mods. Well, Maybe its too late. Ive already messed with the airbox, changed the cam, jetted, put a Supertrappon it, put the hotter plug in it & now, I guess I have given it to my daughter. Looks like all I will be changing now is oil & tires & stuff like that.

But, for you folks who are still messing with them, trying to get more out of them, I will say, if I had just been a little more scientific, I think I could have avoided some questions in my own mind & frustration. It would have been nice to be able to quantify the differences after each change.

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #7 - 06/24/07 at 18:52:16

Bike does seem a bit more punchy now or It could be my imagination. It sounds better and it does not seem to pop back much more than before except when cold,so I presume it's just a little bit leaner  I am running 8 baffles right now.  I  might re-jet and added some more later.
Ride Safe
Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/24/07 at 19:08:53

Maybe open the intake a bit, desnorkel that thing, its a 5 minute job. Pop the seat, rip the snorkel out, put the seat back & run another time trial, to see if it helped.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 06/25/07 at 03:17:03

Steve, seriously invest in a low restricted air filter like the K@N. It made mine run better. It breathes better!   I noticed a bigger difference in power more by changing the air filter to a K@N than rejetting..... And you have to admit it sure sounds cool when you back off from 3rd or 4th gear!

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #10 - 06/25/07 at 15:19:54

do you mean the drop in type or the cone type ?. As I might end up riding in the rain from time to time (not very often in California) would keeping the airbox and putting in a drop-in K & N be best?.  Also would that make it even more lean witrh greater airflow?

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #11 - 06/25/07 at 15:20:39

Oh Yes I do love the sound too. lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/25/07 at 18:54:18

I put the drop in in mine. I havent calculated the square inches of one versus the other. I also modded the airbox a bit, to increase the volume between the filter element & the carb.

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #13 - 06/25/07 at 19:48:02

It sounds like an old Ford flat-head with glasspacs with the SuperTrapp when you back off.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 06/26/07 at 20:29:08

my supertrapp is turning blue?

But the header is normal gold.